CDT level question - please no judgement

• Thread starter Deleted member 12231
  • Start date
Convicted Driver Insurance

Deleted member 12231

Looking for some general advice of reassurance without judgement - please remember drinking isn’t illegal but drink driving is - I Just want some advice.

basically I’ve moved house and I didn’t go back to collect old post for a while and now I see my test is due and it will be in 16 days and where I actually don’t drink everyday at all I go to the gym etc I have had two “ binging “ sessions of drinking in the last two weeks due to birthdays and celebrations. They were quite heavy drinking sessions though probably 7-8 pints in the nights I drank.

My cdt test is in roughly 16 days OBVIOUSLY I won’t be drinking at all during this time but I’m seriously worried that my last two weekends of over indulging are going to affect the results , I have seen posts where people admit they had some binging sessions up to the test and passed.

i just hope 16 days will be enough, I have never been someone who drinks everyday and previous to my two weekends of drinking is I’d binge every other weekend.

i think I should be ok, I expect it will be a slightly higher reading but not reach the 2.1% if I abstain for the whole 16 days? What do people think? Am I being overly anxious and worried?????

I have had a ulcer due to spicy food and alcohol on holiday once and I know they look into your alcohol use so I’m hoping something silly like this wouldn’t affect it but I’m worried with my history of depression it could raise concerns although I’m perfectly fine now and have my whole life under control I just tend to over do it when I do drink but I’m a fitness freak now It doesn’t make me a bad person I just hope they don’t feel I am.

Hey I passed with 11 days without drinking, I am social drinker don’t drink during the week only on weekends and I had a couple of birthday parties say 4 / 6 weeks prior to my medical my cdt was 0.9%

Hey I passed with 11 days without drinking, I am social drinker don’t drink during the week only on weekends and I had a couple of birthday parties say 4 / 6 weeks prior to my medical my cdt was 0.9%
Thank you so much for your response this gives me some hope, I’m an idiot for not realising the test was so soon. I’m a HRO so I just extra worry! They never say you can’t drink during a ban and I don’t drink daily so I didn’t think it would be an issue stupidly!

Looking for some general advice of reassurance without judgement - please remember drinking isn’t illegal but drink driving is - I Just want some advice.

basically I’ve moved house and I didn’t go back to collect old post for a while and now I see my test is due and it will be in 16 days and where I actually don’t drink everyday at all I go to the gym etc I have had two “ binging “ sessions of drinking in the last two weeks due to birthdays and celebrations. They were quite heavy drinking sessions though probably 7-8 pints in the nights I drank.

My cdt test is in roughly 16 days OBVIOUSLY I won’t be drinking at all during this time but I’m seriously worried that my last two weekends of over indulging are going to affect the results , I have seen posts where people admit they had some binging sessions up to the test and passed.

i just hope 16 days will be enough, I have never been someone who drinks everyday and previous to my two weekends of drinking is I’d binge every other weekend.

i think I should be ok, I expect it will be a slightly higher reading but not reach the 2.1% if I abstain for the whole 16 days? What do people think? Am I being overly anxious and worried?????

I have had a ulcer due to spicy food and alcohol on holiday once and I know they look into your alcohol use so I’m hoping something silly like this wouldn’t affect it but I’m worried with my history of depression it could raise concerns although I’m perfectly fine now and have my whole life under control I just tend to over do it when I do drink but I’m a fitness freak now It doesn’t make me a bad person I just hope they don’t feel I am.
If you really don't abuse alcohol you should be fine. The CDT test is looking for recent alcohol excess on a regular basis. If DVLA request a GP referral are your medical records OK? You cannot presume that they will not write to your GP even if CDT levels and medical show no issues, so make sure you speak to your GP and keep them updated in case DVLA do contact them.

If you really don't abuse alcohol you should be fine. The CDT test is looking for recent alcohol excess on a regular basis. If DVLA request a GP referral are your medical records OK? You cannot presume that they will not write to your GP even if CDT levels and medical show no issues, so make sure you speak to your GP and keep them updated in case DVLA do contact them.

I would say that one the days I drank 7/8 pints is quite bad but I definitely only drink once per week if I do the last two occasions in two weeks just happened to be big parties I hadn’t drank for 3 weeks before that even.

In regards to my medical records I have a history of use of benzodiazepines and anti depressants however since my ban two years ago have defeated it and do not take anything maybe I should call them to just confirm that I’m off all medication and well.

i am concerned though as in a few occasions I have mentioned some issues due to drinking , I was backpacking for a year and as all young people do I partied hard and had the shakes when i came back and I mentioned this to the dr he said it would be mild dependence due to the partying but it was a kind of off the cuff conversation as I left about a different issue , I then last year was on holiday in June and drank quite a lot on holiday along with spicy food and this led to some acid to problems which I had to get medication for , so there is going to be a mention of that.

so you recommend I just give the GP a call and ask them if there is anything in my records and that I’m confirming I have no issues or misuse of alcohol if the Dvla do contact and I no longer take any medication and I obviously don’t have an actual drinking problem I’m actually doing a sponsored stoptober for charity !

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that one the days I drank 7/8 pints is quite bad but I definitely only drink once per week if I do the last two occasions in two weeks just happened to be big parties I hadn’t drank for 3 weeks before that even.

In regards to my medical records I have a history of use of benzodiazepines and anti depressants however since my ban two years ago have defeated it and do not take anything maybe I should call them to just confirm that I’m off all medication and well.

i am concerned though as in a few occasions I have mentioned some issues due to drinking , I was backpacking for a year and as all young people do I partied hard and had the shakes when i came back and I mentioned this to the dr he said it would be mild dependence due to the partying but it was a kind of off the cuff conversation as I left about a different issue , I then last year was on holiday in June and drank quite a lot on holiday along with spicy food and this led to some acid to problems which I had to get medication for , so there is going to be a mention of that.

so you recommend I just give the GP a call and ask them if there is anything in my records and that I’m confirming I have no issues or misuse of alcohol if the Dvla do contact and I no longer take any medication and I obviously don’t have an actual drinking problem I’m actually doing a sponsored stoptober for charity !

I would contact your GP it solves a whole world of worry. Also it’s worth downloading the NHS app it gives you access to your medical records.

you need to enter personal details and a photo of passport and you have full access to your records!

I would contact your GP it solves a whole world of worry. Also it’s worth downloading the NHS app it gives you access to your medical records.

you need to enter personal details and a photo of passport and you have full access to your records!
Wow I didn’t actually know that I’ve just downloaded it hopefully it will bring some light on the situation. Can I ask who labels you dependent or misuse ? I keep seeing it on here I’m guessing your doctor will put you misuse alcohol or are dependent?

Wow I didn’t actually know that I’ve just downloaded it hopefully it will bring some light on the situation. Can I ask who labels you dependent or misuse ? I keep seeing it on here I’m guessing your doctor will put you misuse alcohol or are dependent?

it all depends on communication with your GP and the DVLA, more than 8 units in one sitting for men is classed as binge drinking and 6 units for women I believe, which to be fair is ridiculous in terms of drink, in terms of pints/bottle etc it is very little. But is classed as binging. 14 units per week is also the limit for a weekly drinking session which again for some people is a good night out,

I think it all comes down to A: what’s on your medical record and B: your CDT score at the time of medical. Please make sure you are up to date with the newer parameters to pass the CDT test apparently the markers have changed by the sounds of it, so need to score lower.
A low score on the CDT will also not guarantee that the DVLA will not contact your GP.

it all depends on communication with your GP and the DVLA, more than 8 units in one sitting for men is classed as binge drinking and 6 units for women I believe, which to be fair is ridiculous in terms of drink, in terms of pints/bottle etc it is very little. But is classed as binging. 14 units per week is also the limit for a weekly drinking session which again for some people is a good night out,

I think it all comes down to A: what’s on your medical record and B: your CDT score at the time of medical. Please make sure you are up to date with the newer parameters to pass the CDT test apparently the markers have changed by the sounds of it, so need to score lower.
A low score on the CDT will also not guarantee that the DVLA will not contact your GP.
One thing I will say is that, I am not an alcoholic Never have been and never will and even if you do binge every now and then I would say the majority oh humans who drink do and that isn’t illegal and I was never made aware celebrating or going out every now and then wasn’t allowed? I wasn’t told to stay abstinent?

I wasnt clearly told you shouldn’t drink at all anymore or risk never getting your license back as I wouldn’t of but I went about my normal life as I never had a drinking dependence and that’s what they are looking for so it seems extremely harsh considering drinking is legal and normal in society that because I had a few nights out celebrated a promotion etc I may be refused even though I wouldn’t dare touch a drink before driving or the day after now as I’ve missed my license so much like most.

I think I will be ok to be honest I’ve seen posts on here where people have had so similar circumstances where they had some heavy occasions of drinking leading up to the exam and my exam is 16 days away I may even contact the Dvla to ask for an extension on the 6 weeks as I’m pretty sure that would be easy right now due to covid. If they bring up anything to do with anxiety and depression how on earth am I ever meant to get my license back.. and I would guess the very same people judging the application have probably had too much to drink on holiday that’s all that’s in my records due to a stomach problem from the bad alcoholic and spicy food whilst in Thailand and turkey 🤣🤣

One thing I will say is that, I am not an alcoholic Never have been and never will and even if you do binge every now and then I would say the majority oh humans who drink do and that isn’t illegal and I was never made aware celebrating or going out every now and then wasn’t allowed? I wasn’t told to stay abstinent?

I wasnt clearly told you shouldn’t drink at all anymore or risk never getting your license back as I wouldn’t of but I went about my normal life as I never had a drinking dependence and that’s what they are looking for so it seems extremely harsh considering drinking is legal and normal in society that because I had a few nights out celebrated a promotion etc I may be refused even though I wouldn’t dare touch a drink before driving or the day after now as I’ve missed my license so much like most.

I think I will be ok to be honest I’ve seen posts on here where people have had so similar circumstances where they had some heavy occasions of drinking leading up to the exam and my exam is 16 days away I may even contact the Dvla to ask for an extension on the 6 weeks as I’m pretty sure that would be easy right now due to covid. If they bring up anything to do with anxiety and depression how on earth am I ever meant to get my license back.. and I would guess the very same people judging the application have probably had too much to drink on holiday that’s all that’s in my records due to a stomach problem from the bad alcoholic and spicy food whilst in Thailand and turkey 🤣🤣

have to agree with this. I’ve said it before I feel there is a lot of scaremongering on this forum as much of a lifeline it’s been and as helpful as it has there are aspects where it sounds like no matter what happens you will never drive again, alcohol issues, drug issues, mental health issues etc etc. It all depends case to case, the DVLA doctor you receive and also the relationship you have with your GP.

have to agree with this. I’ve said it before I feel there is a lot of scaremongering on this forum as much of a lifeline it’s been and as helpful as it has there are aspects where it sounds like no matter what happens you will never drive again, alcohol issues, drug issues, mental health issues etc etc. It all depends case to case, the DVLA doctor you receive and also the relationship you have with your GP.
I haven’t been back for medication for depression and anxiety since January so hopefully that will confirm im fine now. You once again are legally allowed to drive whilst taking this medication so i don’t know why it would matter. I just want to know at what point do you know if your doctor has classes you dependent or misuse or whatever

If you really don't abuse alcohol you should be fine. The CDT test is looking for recent alcohol excess on a regular basis. If DVLA request a GP referral are your medical records OK? You cannot presume that they will not write to your GP even if CDT levels and medical show no issues, so make sure you speak to your GP and keep them updated in case
I haven’t been back for medication for depression and anxiety since January so hopefully that will confirm im fine now. You once again are legally allowed to drive whilst taking this medication so i don’t know why it would matter. I just want to know at what point do you know if your doctor has classes you dependent or misuse or whatever

I had to fill in a form regarding my depression and I was off medication for 12 months all went though fine and didn’t write to my GP

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off