CDT and your GP

Convicted Driver Insurance

mle1230

Hi, as a HRO for failing to provide and no other offences I'd like to know the likelihood of the DVLA contacting your GP if you were to pass the CDT in the 'green' level? if anyone has any experience of this it would be great to hear? Thank you.

As a HRO DVLA will automatically write out to your GP to see if there are any underlying alcohol problems or mental health issues, usually behind most drink drivers there are past, or present alcohol issues, DVLA will,use a medical form named a DD2 to find out information about you through your GP, even if you have a very low CDT ( as I did 0.7) DVLA will still write out to your GP.......

As a HRO DVLA will automatically write out to your GP to see if there are any underlying alcohol problems or mental health issues, usually behind most drink drivers there are past, or present alcohol issues, DVLA will,use a medical form named a DD2 to find out information about you through your GP, even if you have a very low CDT ( as I did 0.7) DVLA will still write out to your GP.......

I have heard story's of people passing the medical 'CDT' and getting their licences back without the DVLA contacting their GP's ? as from what your saying it seems impossible to get your licence back if you've had problems with alcohol in the past, its seems very harsh if you now have a controlled relationship with alcohol and could pass the CDT test.

DVLA will only act if you have alcohol issues documented with your GP or if you fail the DVLA medical, however if you have no issues then after investigation DVLA will issue a licence, harsh is not the word for the DVLA medical process, A Living nightmare might fit better, good luck on your journey......DVLA are scrutinising HROs more now than ever since they updated their rules in February 2019, not impossible to get your licence back but if you have had alcohol issues then the required time off driving and medical evidence will be required through your GP for them to issue a licence, we are seeing more and more people being issued with a temp one year licence due to alcohol problems.....good luck again.....

Last edited:
I agree with Honestman. If you are a HRO then the DVLA will investigate you, it’s just part of the process. I had a reading of 0.7% and they still wrote to my GP, both before and after the medical. And my temp license is due for renewal and they have written to the GP again. It’s a cycle that is very difficult to escape I’m afraid. It’s just a case of doing as you are required, and put up with it. It’s understandable in many ways, as passing a cdt test is only one element of getting your license back as a HRO. It’s possible to ‘play the game’ and pass the medical and be hiding a more serious problem, so they will always take the cautious approach.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off