CDT ADVICE PLEASE

Convicted Driver Insurance

TONY GRAY

Hello, this is my first post and looks to be a very informative site so am hoping someone can help with a problem.

7 months ago my brother replied for his Hgv license but due to his stupid sense of honesty informed them of his alcohol intake which being honest was excessive so naturally they suspended his license both lorry and car. 7 months later he reapplies only to be told he needs a blood test. He naturally asks where can l have that done only to given totally misleading info and directed to his own doctor who deny they have any knowledge on procedure so refer back to Dvla. This is a continual loop over 8 hours of phone calls and to some very abrupt offensive staff.

At no time has he been done for drink driving or submitted a blood test this is all based on his original information supplied. What l am hoping for is if anyone has a list of recognised doctors by Dvla who can do the blood test in the North ie anywhere around Middlesborogh, Newcastle please

He is at his wits end now and very low due to this and can say hand on heart he has not had any alcohol for 5 weeks and l have no reason to doubt his word, but this is pushing him over the edge hence why my involvement.

Thank you in advance best regards

If his licence was revoked for
drinking habits& HGV he must be abstinent for 3 years if the classed him dependant! Or 1 year for alcohol misuse,

Your posts is a bit sketchy why he needed to re-apply twice was that 2 applications 7 months apart?

I think the DVLA are directing him back to his own doctor is not for the blood tests? Am assuming it's to get the doctor's approval that he has satisfied with your brother's progress and an application for a renewal licence can be made,
Am afraid 5 weeks of sobriety will neither satisfy the DVLA or his own doctor.

Once he's been free of alcohol he can reapply to the DVLA through his own doctor whom DVLA will almost certainly book him into an approved DVLA med center , he cannot arrange his own medical!

The 1 year alcohol abuse and the 3 years for dependence I quoted above work slightly different for ordinary licence with time frames; I recall 6 months or 1 year absitenence depending if classed for abuse or dependency.

On top of all that he must satisfy the traffic commissioner that he's fit to hold his HGV licence again if he's first time problem it will require a period of usually 3 months whereby you drive good with your ordinary licence one that's been re-apply issued then the commissioner will grant his HGV, IF he has history he will most likely have to make a personal appointment .

It's a long drawn out experience loosing both licences I've been there! But I cannot stress enough how important to keep touch regular with own GP in these circumstances

Last edited:
Thank you Craig for the info, apologies for the sketchy details, thats the hiccup with second hand info.

This all started when he went to renew his HGV licence even though he no longer is a goods driver but felt it was an option to re apply should he decide to return to that trade at a later date. Naturally DVLA are going to assume he will be driving hgv`s so I can understand there caution regarding the detrimental info he divulged on the application.
He has at no time been tested or prosecuted for drink driving and his licence is spotless but in DVLA eyes he is classed as an alcoholic or alcohol dependant, he was told to reapply after 6 months as mentioned in my first post. He has in the six months reduced his drink habits drastically to the point of none in the last 5 weeks which is brilliant but as you state his doctor will need to have been aware. I do believe his doctors or reception are possibly unaware of the procedure you mention so this could help answer the merry go round.
I am travelling up north tomorrow to see him so will get more detailed info, but I do appreciate your input at least I understand more now.

Many thanks best regards tony

The 6 months will most definitely be for his ordinary licence and if he already classed dependant it's abstinence not controlled drinking,

His HGV is a different kettle of fish like said if the already deemed him dependant it's a full 3 years of sobriety , however if only alcohol abuse its 1 year they never make it clear probably his own doctors not aware but that's what it is!!

Thank you again Craig, at last i have something concrete to show my brother thats makes total sense it also corroborates what he has tried to liaise to me.
I am lucky enough to be teetotal and if thats what it will take for him to keep his motoring independence then so be it those are the rules.

I was hoping for some answers when I registered so you can only imagine that i am impressed, THANK YOU AGAIN CRAIG.

best regards tony

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off