Caught Drink Driving While Attempting to take my own life

Convicted Driver Insurance

KarlJordan

I was arrested on Sunday 17th March 2018 after I left the family home to take my own life. My final breath test reading was 45, first of my questions is that I am ongoing sufferer from chronic depression, anxiety & PTSD sufferer, would this be considered by the magistrates, furthermore I am under the care of enhanced mental team receiving care for my illnesses & I had gone to end my life, thus not being in capable mindset to evaluate what would be considered safe & right are. Would this be valid mitigation, I am able to supply the medical backing for this. Then secondly when I was arrested the car was stationary on dirt track would this help, thirdly I had only driven a short distance less than half a mile from my home & finally when I was given my breath test I wasn't offered a urine or blood test as I have read on this website this is what the police should offer either if a blow between 40 and 50. This is my first driving offence, well apart from SP30's which I have one on my license.
Due to my ongoing mental conditions I am unsure as what the affect will be on me if I lose my license, as I have just started trying to get back work and taken a part driving job, which needless to say that would be lost if banned. Furthermore I am on ESA Support Group and receive PIP, so I can't afford a solicitor, I do feel I am at massive disadvantage to someone who's not disabled. I believe I wouldn't get Legal Aid as its not given for drink driving charges. Please help as I am getting worse mentally.

Whilst the circumstances of the offence are certainly relevant to the court when considering what penalty to impose, the most important factor is that you were over the legal limit. This means you will face a mandatory minimum ban of 12 months. Your reading was towards the lower end of the sentencing bracket and the circumstances of the offence and background leading up to the offence are such that there are arguable grounds to suggest that you are given the lowest possible sentence of 12 months together with a fine. You will also likely be eligible for a drink driving rehabilitation course which can reduce your disqualification by 25%.

Unfortunately, the fact that your reading was below 50µg is not relevant anymore, given that the 'statutory option' to replace the specimen of breath with blood or urine was repealed in April 2015. Legal Aid is generally only available for more serious drink driving cases where the reading is much higher and there is a risk of custody. You may be able to secure a Duty Solicitor at court on the day of the hearing.

I would recommend getting a few character references and potentially something form your medical advisors to assist with presenting the mitigation.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off