Caught and need help

Convicted Driver Insurance

Klm96xoxo

Hi all.
I can’t actually believe I am writing this. I’m in tears as I do so. I was caught driving around 90mg (I think. I don’t even want to look at the letter that states exactly how much) I was caught on Wednesday (today is Sunday). I’m only 23 and I know I have an alcohol problem. I have read a lot of posts on here about people’s first times and that they’ve just made a mistake. I wish I was the same, it is my first time being caught, but it hasn’t stopped me doing it in the past. I’m definitely alcohol dependant. Tonight I am telling my family I have been caught alongside the fact that I am an alcoholic. I am absolutely terrified of what they are going to say. My Dad only just helped me out getting a car a few months ago and now I can’t drive it.
Although I am scared and feel so alone. It was a blessing in disguise as I can now face my demons and hopefully get the help I need. I’m too young to be throwing my life away.
Does anybody have any advice as to how I can tell my family? And what about court? I haven’t got a solicitor. I didn’t ask for one when questioned either as I am guilty and there is no point sugarcoating it. My court date is the 23rd December. GREAT Xmas present ffs lol.
Thank you everybody x

P.S if I won’t laugh I’ll cry but to prove I’m not a robot I was asked to pick out pictures of a car. I’m not going to see mine for a while lol.

Hi KLM, your post here really hit home with me with how similar of a story yours is to mine. At 23 I blew a 93, had drunk drove countless times but was only caught the once and had the realisation that I too am an alcoholic. First of all I have to commend you on how brave you are for being able to admit your problem at such a young age, a lot of people our age definitely make it another good 10-20 years before the realisation sets in that they need help.

Be completely honest with your family with your drinking and tell them you need help, chances are they could already see all the warning signs in you that you were ignoring up until this point. Start attending AA meetings as this is the best support network that there is out there for alcoholics, but if you can't do it yourself then I would consider a rehab programme.

I went to rehab last year for 3 months and am now sober 1 year and 4 months with no intention of ever touching alcohol again. In my experience NHS rehab is not sufficient as it is only 28 days, you would need to go to a private rehab that offers a 3 month programme, trust me that this is the amount of time that you need. Private rehab is normally prohibitively expensive but the one I went to in Northern Ireland is only £60 per week and that includes everything. If you would like any information about the center I went to please send me a pm, don't be put off by the fact that it's in NI as it's a fraction of the cost of rehab on the mainland and plenty of people from England, Scotland and Wales were there when I was there.

There's no real point in paying for a solicitor as there's no real defence for drink driving. Get a few character statements from people who are close to you, express how ashamed you are for the crime and ask the judge to let you do the drink driving awareness course which will reduce your ban you must ask for this as it will not be offered as standard.

Finally, things might seem very bleak to you now. But through getting caught you have opened a brand new chapter on your life, a chapter where you could potentially get the help that you need to never return to a point like this for the rest of your life. Best of luck on your new journey!

Your post brought tears to my eyes. In a good way. I am so happy but also unhappy at the fact you have been through the same. Thank you so much for your post. Being through the same has made me feel so less alone. I am so scared to tell my family but after your post it has definitely gave me more of a confidence to confide in them. Thank you so much. You literally are a life saver. I always felt I was so young compared to everybody else and should feel even more ashamed of drinking and taking it too far at a young age but you have made me feel better. I hope you are getting the help you need and I sure as hope I will get them same. Thank you lovely! Xx

You're not alone, I attend a Saturday morning AA meeting with 4 lads within a year or two of my own age and 3 girls within a year or two of my age. Even if your local AA meetings are full of older people I can guarantee you that no one there will judge you for your age, they will be kind, courteous and understanding of your problems and they will listen to you share. The only time my age has been mentioned at AA has been to commend me for getting sober so young and I have plenty of older ones telling me they would give anything to have got sober at my age.

Opinions on alcohol are changing every year and a lot more young people are starting to be able to identify their problem behaviour earlier the way that you have today. Your family may well not know what is going on with you, but they will rally around you when they need them. I remember when I first sat my family down to talk and I said "Mum, dad, I can't control my drinking" my dad told me that I hadn't been able to control my drinking since I started drinking but I needed to realise that myself.

If you make the right decisions your life will improve ten fold and I honestly mean this from the bottom of my heart, everything will be okay.

Thank you so much. I opened up to my Dad and he can’t believe how I’ve been feeling. I will get there. Thank you so much for making me feel “normal”. Being so young I feel like everybody sees it as though I made a mistake. Yes I definitely did, but I am definitely alcohol dependant. I don’t want people to think I was silly and young. Yes I am but I have a problem and don’t want it disregarded. I feel a lot better tonight. Hopefully I am not on the journey of being sober and happy!!:)

Your definitely not alone, grice said it in nice word
Take grace you never harmed anyone other than your own pride am glad you opened up to dad!
Have you ever discussed your issues with GP because that has a huge impact on your licence moving fwd

Your definitely not alone, grice said it in nice word
Take grace you never harmed anyone other than your own pride am glad you opened up to dad!
Have you ever discussed your issues with GP because that has a huge impact on your licence moving fwd
No I haven’t. I am going to go this week and speak with them. I’ve been about my mental health problems but not about my drinking. Thank you :) I am feeling a lot better today but it’s a long road!

If you feel better don't open entirely with GP however the truth better understood!
If your classed missuse your going to need 6 MTHS abstinence which will tie in your ban
However if dependency it's 1 year total control no drinking ever; the dvla govern there own guidelines we just need to follow
The 6th or 1 yr ties with your GP and 3 months checks

Last edited:
If you feel better don't open entirely with GP however the truth is is better understood!
If your classed missuse your going to need 6 MTHS abstinence which will tie in your ban
However if dependency it's 1 year total control no drinking ever; the dvla govern there own guidelines we just need to follow
Oh I didn’t realise that. What would you recommend me to do? I haven’t been to speak to them yet as I was only going to mention that I have a problem and weren’t going to actually tell them about me being caught DD. I’m in court on the 23rd and don’t want to make anything worse for myself!!

I
Oh I didn’t realise that. What would you recommend me to do? I haven’t been to speak to them yet as I was only going to mention that I have a problem and weren’t going to actually tell them about me being caught DD. I’m in court on the 23rd and don’t want to make anything worse for myself!!
Its best your open now with GP good thing is it will tie in with your ban

Insist on ,3 monthly LFT checks will assist you hugely going fwd X

I

Its best your open now with GP good thing is it will tie in with your ban
Thank you Craig. I will speak with them. Should I ask them for a letter of proof to take to court with me? I don’t want any family or friends with me in court and I’ve never even stepped foot in the place before so I don’t even know what I should and shouldn’t do. I’ve heard above character references? Does this help? It’s just I don’t really wanna ask for any as I don’t really want to be telling people why and when I’m in court. X

No the dvla letter is for fwd nothing else

It won't help you in court but there's. Lots help just watch

I would recommend trying AA before ever going to see a GP, all a GP can do is log the issue, give you a prescription of librium to help with withdrawal seizures if you are having them and stick you on a 1 year waiting list for a few sessions of counselling that don't help a great deal.

Having been through the whole process of getting sober I have to say what the NHS have to offer is useless, just use AA meetings and if you need a bit of counselling then look at local charities in your area that do it. This way getting your licence back won't be hindered by any GP diagnoses.

I would recommend trying AA before ever going to see a GP, all a GP can do is log the issue, give you a prescription of librium to help with withdrawal seizures if you are having them and stick you on a 1 year waiting list for a few sessions of counselling that don't help a great deal.

Having been through the whole process of getting sober I have to say what the NHS have to offer is useless, just use AA meetings and if you need a bit of counselling then look at local charities in your area that do it. This way getting your licence back won't be hindered by any GP diagnoses.
Thank you. Yes I am just worried a little about AA. A lot of my issues have come from speaking to people as my confidence is pretty low. I’m a bit nervous about speaking to a group about my problem. How did you feel when you went? I am so nervous but I need all the help I can get at this point

I suffer from depression and anxiety and was absolutely terrified about starting AA and talking. You don't have to share, for your first few meetings when it comes to you just just say hello my name is "Klm96xoxo" and tonight I would just like to listen.

I did this for my first 4 or 5 meetings until I built up the courage and was able to share. Now a year later I do secretary (running the meeting) at my local meeting and have done plenty of chairs (telling your whole story) it has been amazing for my anxiety.

AA is definitely recommend talking with grice but you still need your GP support especially if talked about consumption past! Log with him your no longer drinking get lfts done every 3 months until ban is up easy Peasy?

Thank you both! I am going to book a GP appointment and then hopefully get to sort everything out. AA seems the best route for me right now. I’m pretty nervous but I guess everybody else is obv there for the same reasons so they’ll feel the same! It’s definitely a struggle to speak to anybody right now. I can’t even go to the shop without my heart coming out my chest without having a drink but if I don’t push myself then I won’t get better! Xx

Don't over stress things my wife once said u will be the world's biggest looser if and when your DUI , she was right !but then so wrong I cycled 30 miles per day I was so happy!

Got my licence back stopped cycling now am fat n miserable it's not all doom n gloom nobody will judge you
feel stay strong it just gets better from your own acceptance xx

Don't over stress things my wife once said u will be the world's biggest looser if and when your DUI , she was right !but then so wrong I cycled 30 miles per day I was so happy!

Got my licence back am fat n miserable it's not all doom n gloom nobody will judge you host feel stay strong it just gets better xx
LMAO Craig. That made me giggle!! I will try my best :) I hope you are happy!! Hopefully I will get there one day xx

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off