Car Insurance trying to claim 3rd party damages

Convicted Driver Insurance

jai

Hi I am in need of advice about a drink drive incident i have had. I am based in the UK.
I had an accident after drink driving over 7 months ago, i have already been covicted and given a 22 month ban which can be reduced to 18 months after doing a drink drive course.
As far as i was aware everything was dealt with and that was that. Two days ago i got an e-mail from my car insurance comapny stating:

"We write with reference to our previous correspondence about the above dated accident in which you were involved.

As you are aware <ERROR> have not provided you with indemnity for this matter as per our letter of 28/05/2010. We were obliged to deal with the third party claim under the terms and conditions of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and agreement between the Motor Insurers Bureau and Department of Transport.

As you have failed to co-operate with us we have proceeded to deal with this claim. The third party signed a form of Assignment and Agreement enabling us to do this. That transfers the right of recovery from the third party to us. We are now seeking reimbursement of our outlay from you.
Third party claim from Mr Gary Brown
£2451.99 credit hire
£3771.12 repairs

Third party claim for Mr Del Johnstone
£1356.47 Credit hire
£58.75 Engineer fee
£3325 Total loss payment"

In total they are seeking £11000 from which i do not have.

The main issues i ahve with this are:

I did not received this letter they claim to have sent me. They haven't sent me an e-mail either.

Also in the e-mail they have stated that there are two claims, in my police statement which i stil have it shows that i hit one car, this was also shown to the courts.

The other issue i have is i havent heard anything from them about the claim for 7 months and now they are coming back to me.

Finally i understand under the car insurnaces rules and regulations if i was drink driving my insurance is invalid but if that is the case are they not ment to ask if i wish to carry OUT the repairs? If its invalid surely they don't have to or shouldn't repair it unless i agree to pay them back?

I do know i have made a massive mistake but there is no way i am able to pay this kind of money to them as since the accident i have also lsot my job.

I just want to know where i stand on this and if i do have to pay out.
I really need adivice on this asap.

Thank you,

Jai

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

This is not a matter which I can advise you on as it is an civil matter as opposed to a criminal matter.

However if you send me a private message setting out your contact details, I can refer the matter to a colleague who may be able to answer your query.

Kind regards,

Carl Johnson
Solicitor
On behalf of Sean Joyce

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off