Can you lower CDT before medical appointment?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Nike.black

I’ve barely drunk over the last 4 weeks, however I’m still concerned! Does anyone know if there’s a natural/ healthy way to lower the levels of CDT?

thanks for your help :)

I’ve barely drunk over the last 4 weeks, however I’m still concerned! Does anyone know if there’s a natural/ healthy way to lower the levels of CDT?

If you've barely drank alcohol over the last 4 weeks,and have no alcohol misuse history with your GP you have nothing to worry about, this question is asked by a lot of people with history of misuse on their gp files,and as such are aiming for a score of less than 1%

Thanks for letting me know.
Is there anyway of actually lowering it? Cranberry juice or antioxidants- will they work? Cheers!

Thanks for letting me know.
Is there anyway of actually lowering it? Cranberry juice or antioxidants- will they work? Cheers!
No,It only rises after 2 or more weeks of binge drinking according to various sources,and can take 1 to 2 months to normalize ,however at what you stated you should be ok, medichecks offer a private CDT test if you have concerns

medichecks is handy to find out what your bassline CDT is, because even though CDT has a half life of 2-3 weeks it depends on what your drinking habits were before abstaining.... so for some people who drink a lot (like myself) it could take a bit longer.

I was curious to know what mine was as I drink a lot for a couple of decades and abstained for 5 weeks before going for the medichecks CDT test

I went without a drink for 14 weeks before my medical, and although I haven’t had my results back, a private medichecks test one around 8 weeks prior to my DVLA medical returned CDT 0.8.

Something seriously wrong if my DVLA returns higher 🙄

I think you can read a lot of information on here and the internet with regards what to avoid and what to include. Even read to avoid bread 🤦‍♂️ Surely not?

Anyway, my advice is simply stay off the sauce and maybe throw in a run or two per week. Or a good walk.

I went without a drink for 14 weeks before my medical, and although I haven’t had my results back, a private medichecks test one around 8 weeks prior to my DVLA medical returned CDT 0.8.

Something seriously wrong if my DVLA returns higher 🙄

I think you can read a lot of information on here and the internet with regards what to avoid and what to include. Even read to avoid bread 🤦‍♂️ Surely not?

Anyway, my advice is simply stay off the sauce and maybe throw in a run or two per week. Or a good walk.
I stayed off for 6 weeks and had a medichecks and it returned 0.4. From what I read and understand the CDT test is very specific and there is very little that can affect that test result other than reducing alcohol intake.

I stayed off for 6 weeks and had a medichecks and it returned 0.4. From what I read and understand the CDT test is very specific and there is very little that can affect that test result other than reducing alcohol intake.
That's very low,how much were you drinking prior to the abstinence period?

That's very low,how much were you drinking prior to the abstinence period?
I was drinking more than the recommended amount. I went to France in the summer for three weeks and drank wine every day. I was surprised at how low it was. I normally only drink 2 days a week. However, this has been increased since March with Lockdown.

I was drinking more than the recommended amount. I went to France in the summer for three weeks and drank wine every day. I was surprised at how low it was. I normally only drink 2 days a week. However, this has been increased since March with Lockdown.
A very good result, So you have your own benchmark now,although I wouldn't advise to anyone else to hope to get a reading that low!

Reactions: TPR
A very good result, So you have your own benchmark now,although I wouldn't advise to anyone else to hope to get a reading that low!
Quite. Also, I think there is a lot of heightened concern about the CDT results. Understandably, as it is seems no one really knows how to lower it, and the starting point is opaque. I was very concerned and decided that complete abstinence was the best course of action. As Price says, some people cant stop at 1 or 2 beers. I am most certainly in that category. I find not drinking much much easier than trying to do controlled drinking.
I am not sure how to get the CDT level from the DVLA. if anyone can suggest how i get that from them I will create a post that details the timeline of my history.

I stopped drinking 14 months ago and I'm due to do my HRO medical in the next few weeks.

All I will say is - time is of the essence. The longer you can abstain the better.

I am at least hoping that a 14 month dry run will guarantee a better result than a 14 day one, but we will see.

Prior to putting down my last drink I was supping a minimum of 8 x cans of 5% lager a day and maybe around half a litre of vodka.

No doubt my CDT readings would have been off the wall and would certainly take several weeks and months to come down to a respectable level.

Therefore, I am feeling really confident that my hard work will pay off when I do the CDT.

CJ

I stopped drinking 14 months ago and I'm due to do my HRO medical in the next few weeks.

All I will say is - time is of the essence. The longer you can abstain the better.

I am at least hoping that a 14 month dry run will guarantee a better result than a 14 day one, but we will see.

Prior to putting down my last drink I was supping a minimum of 8 x cans of 5% lager a day and maybe around half a litre of vodka.

No doubt my CDT readings would have been off the wall and would certainly take several weeks and months to come down to a respectable level.

Therefore, I am feeling really confident that my hard work will pay off when I do the CDT.

CJ
Congratulations. I think your CDT will reflect your efforts.

That’s great. Have you had your DVLA one yet? Not going to get any lower than that?

I had done 6 weeks without a drink prior to the Medichecks so I’m guessing another 8 without a drink before the DVLA one will see me comfortably under 0.8. As you say, it’s specific to alcohol.

That’s great. Have you had your DVLA one yet? Not going to get any lower than that?

I had done 6 weeks without a drink prior to the Medichecks so I’m guessing another 8 without a drink before the DVLA one will see me comfortably under 0.8. As you say, it’s specific to alcohol.

Thanks. I'm still playing the waiting game with the DVLA. My ban is up on the 13th December, but I have a feeling I'm probably not going to get back on the road until the New Year given the present situation across the country.

CJ

Thanks. I'm still playing the waiting game with the DVLA. My ban is up on the 13th December, but I have a feeling I'm probably not going to get back on the road until the New Year given the present situation across the country.

CJ

My ban was up on 31st august. Had DVLA medical October 2nd. Needless to say, still waiting.

They have written to my GP. I am hoping that once they receive the GP’s form, the turnaround time will be quick, so I’m chasing GP up every other day.

Hopefully things will have calmed down for you by the time December comes.

My ban was up on 31st august. Had DVLA medical October 2nd. Needless to say, still waiting.

They have written to my GP. I am hoping that once they receive the GP’s form, the turnaround time will be quick, so I’m chasing GP up every other day.

Hopefully things will have calmed down for you by the time December comes.

Grantyone

I take it the DVLA has contacted you before now to establish who your doctor is?

If they contact the doctor first, then fine, but as far as I'm aware the DVLA does not know who my GP is.

CJ

Grantyone

I take it the DVLA has contacted you before now to establish who your doctor is?

If they contact the doctor first, then fine, but as far as I'm aware the DVLA does not know who my GP is.

CJ

I was asked at my DVLA medical who my doctor was. I then received a letter the following week confirming they had written out. My GP confirmed receipt of the form/letter and have advised me it’s sitting in their ‘priority’ box. I really hope they get it to the DVLA this week. One saving grace is they are emailing it. Saves a few days I suppose.

jumping into this thread as its "sort of" related rather than start a new one... quick question - Ive just found out that the hand sanitizer I use everyday at work is 70% proof.... would the sanitizer affect CDT levels at all?

jumping into this thread as its "sort of" related rather than start a new one... quick question - Ive just found out that the hand sanitizer I use everyday at work is 70% proof.... would the sanitizer affect CDT levels at all?

I ain’t any doctor but if you don’t mind me saying, I’d say that is just paranoia kicking in. I totally get it though - I asked something similar with alcohol free beer, as there were a couple of times I had 3 or 4 when watching football. I was told they don’t affect CDT at all, so if alcohol free beer doesn’t, then hand sanitizer won’t. We’d be up against if it did.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off