Can I reapply Now?

Convicted Driver Insurance

EdPotter36

I was banned in 2011 for three years but at the time i was an alcoholic. I have had seizures due to this but have become sober now. the responses from the DVLA have been confusing saying "as long as you haven't misused alcohol in the last 6 months then you can get your licence back". So I applied Their response " You have been dependent within the last 12 months:so has been refused". Reapplied after 12 months after not being dependent and guess what???? " you have to be completely abstinent for twelve months". they also said that all of this is on their website which it isn't. I,m so confused because it has been different answers each time i phone them. Useless is an understatement! I haven't drunk now since i had my last seizure in Jan 2019. Can i reapply? Could somebody send me something in black and white so i don't get ahead of myself? The only info i can find on the DVLA website is " Minimum of 6 months controlled drinking". I really hope someone can make sense of this> Thanks. ED

The DVLA guidance is found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

There is a clear difference between misuse and dependence and, as you state, that leads to different requirements for the DVLA in assessing medical fitness to drive over both periods of time and level of sustained behaviour. A seizure as recent as January this year, following a determination of dependence, is likely to mean that the DVLA will insist on 12 months abstinence from that date. I would recommend periodic liver function testing and engagement with your GP to evidence your sustained abstinence as far as possible.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off