Can I organise a medical myself before DVLA start processing my re-application?

Convicted Driver Insurance

C501

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

I was banned from driving in September last year for 12 months and 23 days with the added requirement of a medical assessment.

With my ban due to be lifted in October, I received the re-application form from DVLA and sent it off with a postal order at the start of last month.
I believe once DVLA have processed the form, they will then contact me with details on where I can get a medical. With the current DVLA delays, I'm now worried about how long this whole process is going to take.

My question is, can I organise the medical myself before DVLA have finished processing my application or do I have to wait for the letter confirming my application success before I can move forward?

Just to vent some frustration...
It seems very unfair to me that people are having to wait significant amount of times beyond the length of their ban before they can back on the road. People shouldn't be further punished and there should be better systems in place to handle these applications.
I do understand the situation with covid etc but it is still very frustrating.

It seems absolutely ridiculous to me that the applications can't be completed online... Sending a postal order or cheque in 2021 is ludicrous.

Also, what is the reasoning behind having to wait until 90 days before the ban is lifted before reapplying? The license will have a 'valid from' date on it, so why can't it be issued any time but only valid once your ban is lifted.

Sorry for the rant but I'm sure there are a lot of people on here that are just as frustrated as I am.

My understanding is that a medical can't be arranged before you receive a letter, as the letter contains a reference number, which you will need to phone the automated DVLA service to confirm you have booked your medical.

Completely with you on the frustrations. My ban ended 2 months ago, and still waiting, although I'm surprised at how patient I'm being, because with each day that passes, it is 1 day closer to being back on the road 🤗

No you need to wait. You need an 'M' number from your correspondence. DVLA will choose who you are assigned to for a medical, it may be possible to alter that afterwards if it can't be completed within the timescale. Unfortunately you are in the queue with everyone else and will no doubt be looking at a delay well beyond October.

Hi all,

I was banned from driving in September last year for 12 months and 23 days with the added requirement of a medical assessment.

With my ban due to be lifted in October, I received the re-application form from DVLA and sent it off with a postal order at the start of last month.
I believe once DVLA have processed the form, they will then contact me with details on where I can get a medical. With the current DVLA delays, I'm now worried about how long this whole process is going to take.

My question is, can I organise the medical myself before DVLA have finished processing my application or do I have to wait for the letter confirming my application success before I can move forward?

It seems very unfair to me that people are having to wait significant amount of times beyond the length of their ban before they can back on the road. People shouldn't be further punished and there should be better systems in place to handle these applications.

It seems absolutely ridiculous to me that the applications can't be completed online... Sending a postal order or cheque in 2021 is ludicrous.

Also, what is the reasoning behind having to wait until 90 days before the ban is lifted before reapplying? The license will have a 'valid from' date on it, so why can't it be issued any time but only valid once your ban is lifted.

Sorry for the rant but I'm sure there are a lot of people on here that are just as frustrated as I am.

To organise the medical yourself with one of the approved doctors on the list that has been posted on a few threads on this forum you will need your M number. This number is not provided until the DVLA send you the medical letter, so it is impossible unfortunately to organise a medical before this is provided.

Hi all,

You cannot organise a medical prior to receiving your letter from the DVLA advising you of which Doctor to call.

But you could do what I did and phone a Doctor on the approved list (not sure where you can find this, but if you post your preferred location on the forum, someone may be able to advise.)

This will be my second medical and I contacted the practice that carried out my first one and asked what their timescales were. They said they could fit me me in within a few days, so I called the DVLA and advised them that this particular practice was my preferred option.

When I received my letter I was pleasantly surprised to find they had listened to me and allocated this Doctor. I called to make the appointment after 3 days and they confirmed they had received the paperwork. Doctor was on holiday (does happen,) so it took a week longer than I anticipated (2 weeks in total,) to organise but 2 weeks is still pretty quick given some of the timescales I have read on the forum.

Re. timescales. They are fairly standard for everyone just now.

You cheque/PO will be cashed about 6 weeks after you apply. You will then receive a letter 2 weeks later with your allocated medical practice. There is no definitive timescale on how long it takes to get an appointment with your Doctor nor on how long it takes for the DVLA medical team to assess the results and/or decide to write to your own GP. If they do that it opens another can of worms.

My current timescales are below, and even though my ban expires on the 12th October, I don;t anticipate having my licence back until around the 7th of December or even longer. Yes it is frustrating, but given Covid restrictions, if you could apply earlier than 90 days, this would simply deluge them with applications leading to the same or worse logjam.

If your ban is due to expire in October and you only applied at the beginning of September, you have a long wait ahead, and I wouldn't bank on having your licence back this side of the New Year.

In fact, given my timescales, your cheque/PO won't be cashed until the 13th October and you will not receive a medical letter until the 27th October.

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Licence Issued???????

Last edited:
C501:

“I was banned from driving in September last year for 12 months and 23 days with the added requirement of a medical assessment.”

Can you clarify what you were disqualified for (I am presuming failing to supply a sample of breath / blood / urine )
And why 1 year 23 days. A rather unusual length of ban and it made me wonder if there are any unusual circumstances for us to consider?
You have had a pretty full house with the advice about having to wait for your medical. They are all spot on!

Thanks for the replies from everyone. Very helpful.
It’s now coming up to 6 weeks since I posted the application form so I will try to check if the postal order has been cashed and await the reply from DVLA.

You cannot organise a medical prior to receiving your letter from the DVLA advising you of which Doctor to call.

But you could do what I did and phone a Doctor on the approved list (not sure where you can find this, but if you post your preferred location on the forum, someone may be able to advise.)

This will be my second medical and I contacted the practice that carried out my first one and asked what their timescales were. They said they could fit me me in within a few days, so I called the DVLA and advised them that this particular practice was my preferred option.

When I received my letter I was pleasantly surprised to find they had listened to me and allocated this Doctor. I called to make the appointment after 3 days and they confirmed they had received the paperwork. Doctor was on holiday (does happen,) so it took a week longer than I anticipated (2 weeks in total,) to organise but 2 weeks is still pretty quick given some of the timescales I have read on the forum.

Re. timescales. They are fairly standard for everyone just now.

You cheque/PO will be cashed about 6 weeks after you apply. You will then receive a letter 2 weeks later with your allocated medical practice. There is no definitive timescale on how long it takes to get an appointment with your Doctor nor on how long it takes for the DVLA medical team to assess the results and/or decide to write to your own GP. If they do that it opens another can of worms.

My current timescales are below, and even though my ban expires on the 12th October, I don;t anticipate having my licence back until around the 7th of December or even longer. Yes it is frustrating, but given Covid restrictions, if you could apply earlier than 90 days, this would simply deluge them with applications leading to the same or worse logjam.

If your ban is due to expire in October and you only applied at the beginning of September, you have a long wait ahead, and I wouldn't bank on having your licence back this side of the New Year.

In fact, given my timescales, your cheque/PO won't be cashed until the 13th October and you will not receive a medical letter until the 27th October.

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Licence Issued???????

Thanks for your reply. This is really helpful, I think I will do what you have done and note down the timescales for myself too.

I thought I'd post an update for others in the same position...

I received my medical request letter yesterday. The letter contained a reference number (as others mentioned) and the surgery where I need to book an appointment.

And for anyone interested in timescales:
Application form sent Friday 13/08/21.
Medical request form received Wednesday 03/11/21.
Over 11 weeks.

I received my medical request letter yesterday. The letter contained a reference number (as others mentioned) and the surgery where I need to book an appointment.

Over 11 weeks.
That’s gone up then from September when I did mine . It was 6-8 weeks then . Just shows how they seem to be getting worse and then they could be striking after balloting finishes on Nov 10th (I think is the ballot end date)

Yeah definitely seems like it's getting worse. I just don't know how they think they're going to get through the backlog when paper applications will be coming in at the same rate everyday.

Terrible that the Government haven't stepped in at this stage... especially with the currently highlighted HGV driver shortage.

Yeah definitely seems like it's getting worse. I just don't know how they think they're going to get through the backlog when paper applications will be coming in at the same rate everyday.

Terrible that the Government haven't stepped in at this stage... especially with the currently highlighted HGV driver shortage.
They seem to be holding all the cards . The PCS union is stoking the fire .

The affect they are having on people’s livelihoods and mental health is beyond reasonable. I’ve been through every stage of the complaint protocol including email to Julie Lennards office and never ever received a single acknowledgment. My next option is going to the DFT and involving an independent complaint assessor but I want my licence back first .

We have all made bad judgements and bern punished for it and held accountable for our actions . So I believe they should be held accountable for theirs.

My licence revocation ended June1st .. my medical was October 2nd …. That’s my situation. I did blood test and urine test .

I read on here the urine tests are taking much longer than usual for some unexplained reason .

take care and keep going 🌞👍🏻

Over 11 weeks.
It's a little bit longer than mine which took just over 9 weeks from application to receipt of medical letter. I had my medical 5 weeks ago today and there is still silence from DVLA. I called once and they confirmed they had received the Doctors report and the CDT test results but then the line went dead before I could ask them any further info.

Maybe I'll try again today.

TBH, I don't think the government really care about Drink Drivers. If I were in their position and being asked whether to prioritise HGV or DUI licence renewals, I think I know which one would win.

DUI - the gift that keeps on giving.

It's a little bit longer than mine which took just over 9 weeks from application to receipt of medical letter. I had my medical 5 weeks ago today and there is still silence from DVLA. I called once and they confirmed they had received the Doctors report and the CDT test results but then the line went dead before I could ask them any further info.

Maybe I'll try again today.

TBH, I don't think the government really care about Drink Drivers. If I were in their position and being asked whether to prioritise HGV or DUI licence renewals, I think I know which one would win.

DUI - the gift that keeps on giving.
Your wrong there as the medical department doesn’t just deal with drink / drug drivers . There are lorry drivers that are trying to renew medical licences to get back in the profession and simply can’t .
A guy on my local news 3 weeks ago wanted a medical for his HGV licence renewal and had rung 500 times.
It’s a case of how much you want your licence back and being a pain in the backside of the DVLA … in my opinion based upon my on going day to day situation.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off