C.D.T Question & 2 Medical Letters

Convicted Driver Insurance

Angler

Hello I have two questions im asking for a little advice about so here goes :

I have until the 1st of July 2021 to book with a DVLA appointed Dr for a CDT test, this letter was sent to me on the 8th April 2021. I was a heavy drinker of around 70 cans of cider a week up until I was sent a letter regarding a medical. The letter stated I was to have a FULL medical. I have been drinking within the 14 units weekly guidelines since then up until this week and last week. Where I have truthfully drank more than I should of. As I had 3 units over last week & and 2.5 units over yesterday evening. Will this have a dramatic effect on my CDT levels when I have the test now?

I`m looking to contact the appointed Dr to make the appointment on the 20th to 24th of June now as I don`t want to obviously go over the time time limit given to attend for the medical.

My second question is this morning I have been sent another letter from DVLA dated the 8th June 2021 giving me 12 weeks for me to make an appointment for a Drug test by suppling a urine sample. So this is a different test than the CDT full medical letter that was sent on the 8th April 2021. Has anyone else had this happen? Also does this mean I have to attend both of these medicals as I thought a full medical would require a urine test aswell, but I may be wrong in thinking this.

I`ve tried contacting the DVLA provided number today to have a voicemail so no joy with contacting them. I know its the weekend so I am going to try calling them again to see if someone is there to take my call then?

Ive had to obviously give the DVLA consent to look into my medical records in 2013 I did a home detox programme for alcohol from being dependent. My records also show that I have had a fairly big history of drug abuse going back to when I was a child. I was a very heavy Solvent Abuser when I was a teenager and as an adult a user of Cocaine, Amphetamines, Ecstacy, Cannabis,LSD and perscription drugs (Co-codamol). The only drugs Ive used up until April was cannabis. all of the other mentioned drugs I stopped years a go.

I smoked cannabis every day until the 16th April but have remained been abstinence from taking cannabis since then.

Any light on my queries would be gratefully apprieciated.

Last edited:
Hello I have two questions im asking for a little advice about so here goes :

I have until the 1st of July 2021 to book with a DVLA appointed Dr for a CDT test, this letter was sent to me on the 8th April 2021. I was a heavy drinker of around 70 cans of cider a week up until I was sent a letter regarding a medical. The letter stated I was to have a FULL medical. I have been drinking within the 14 units weekly guidelines since then up until this week and last week. Where I have truthfully drank more than I should of. As I had 3 units over last week & and 2.5 units over yesterday evening. Will this have a dramatic effect on my CDT levels when I have the test now?

I`m looking to contact the appointed Dr to make the appointment on the 20th to 24th of June now as I don`t want to obviously go over the time time limit given to attend for the medical.

My second question is this morning I have been sent another letter from DVLA dated the 8th June 2021 giving me 12 weeks for me to make an appointment for a Drug test by suppling a urine sample. So this is a different test than the CDT full medical letter that was sent on the 8th April 2021. Has anyone else had this happen? Also does this mean I have to attend both of these medicals as I thought a full medical would require a urine test aswell, but I may be wrong in thinking this.

I`ve tried contacting the DVLA provided number today to have a voicemail so no joy with contacting them. I know its the weekend so I am going to try calling them again to see if someone is there to take my call then?

Ive had to obviously give the DVLA consent to look into my medical records in 2013 I did a home detox programme for alcohol from being dependent. My records also show that I have had a fairly big history of drug abuse going back to when I was a child. I was a very heavy Solvent Abuser when I was a teenager and as an adult a user of Cocaine, Amphetamines, Ecstacy, Cannabis,LSD and perscription drugs (Co-codamol). The only drugs Ive used up until April was cannabis. all of the other mentioned drugs I stopped years a go.

I smoked cannabis every day until the 16th April but have remained been abstinence from taking cannabis since then.

Any light on my queries would be gratefully apprieciated.
Better advise will come off other members but drinking 70 cans of cider a week and only abstaining just for the medical are you sure you will not offend again. You are leaving it until the last minute possible to book your medical so sounds like your having real issues .No offence in any way but the DVLA is very strict on this

You have been drinking between 140-210 units a week, - possibly even more. (depending on the strength of the cider) which is a very high alcohol intake and I would expect that to have caused you some liver damage and possibly pancreas damage as well. Drinking at that level can take 12 weeks for your CDT to come down sufficiently for the DVLA test.
You really should have booked an appointment before now, for as late as possible...... Some DVLA doctors only do their medicals one or two mornings a week and some people in here have reported having to wait weeks for an appointment when they ring up.

Depending on the amount and strength of the cannabis you have been using, that could show up in a urine sample for many weeks. You could try buying a home testing kit quite cheaply, but they are usually set to detect at a level of 20 or 25, whereas the DVLA lab test has a threshold of only 15.

You have been drinking between 140-210 units a week, - possibly even more. (depending on the strength of the cider) which is a very high alcohol intake and I would expect that to have caused you some liver damage and possibly pancreas damage as well. Drinking at that level can take 12 weeks for your CDT to come down sufficiently for the DVLA test.
You really should have booked an appointment before now, for as late as possible...... Some DVLA doctors only do their medicals one or two mornings a week and some people in here have reported having to wait weeks for an appointment when they ring up.

Depending on the amount and strength of the cannabis you have been using, that could show up in a urine sample for many weeks. You could try buying a home testing kit quite cheaply, but they are usually set to detect at a level of 20 or 25, whereas the DVLA lab test has a threshold of only 15.
One of the highest mr price i have seen on here drinking and looking to regain their driving licence.

Better advise will come off other members but drinking 70 cans of cider a week and only abstaining just for the medical are you sure you will not offend again. You are leaving it until the last minute possible to book your medical so sounds like your having real issues .No offence in any way but the DVLA is very strict on this

Thank you for your reply I
Thank you for reply yes it has been a wake up call the drinking was heavy, I was struggling with my mother who passed away in Oct last year from losing her battle to 3 year ovarian cancer spread. I was not drinking at all until she was diagnosed, but if I`m honest I used the drink as a coping mechanism during this period. Its no excuse for me drinking I`m merely stateing the facts of why I started drinking again

I have cut down to the recommended amount yes I have already stated I went over on two occasions so I know I messed up there. My goal is to achieve complete abstinace from the drink. I want to be free from alcohol regardless of weither I pass the medical or not.

I can see clearly by what what you have put in reply that your viewing that I`ve stop drinking just to get pass a medical. This isn`t the case I left booking an appointment so I could lower my levels as much as possible. before having the medical as I knew my levels was so high. I haven`t taken offence any way either.

Thank you for reply yes it has been a wake up call the drinking was heavy, I was struggling with my mother who passed away in Oct last year from losing her battle to 3 year ovarian cancer spread. I was not drinking at all until she was diagnosed, but if I`m honest I used the drink as a coping mechanism during this period. Its no excuse for me drinking I`m merely stateing the facts of why I started drinking again

I have cut down to the recommended amount yes I have already stated I went over on two occasions so I know I messed up there. My goal is to achieve complete abstinace from the drink. I want to be free from alcohol regardless of weither I pass the medical or not.

I can see clearly by what what you have put in reply that your viewing that I`ve stop drinking just to get pass a medical. This isn`t the case I left booking an appointment so I could lower my levels as much as possible. before having the medical as I knew my levels was so high. I haven`t taken offence any way either.
Nobody will judge on her angler i promise you as we have all been there at some point. Applying for your licence can be a wake up call and realise how much we drink at times. To pass the medical you would be better to abstain totally from drink of any kind. I drink a lot of alcohol free beer if that helps buddy

Thank you for your reply the strength of the cider was 4% yes it was a high weekly intake I agree that i have proberly has caused myself some damage in some way. This is the first Ive known about waiting times with appointments its also the first time using this website and forum. Had I known before hand I wouldn`t of left booking the appointment till now. So I will contatcting the appointed dr on monday I will also obtain a home drug testing kit.

Thank you for your reply the strength of the cider was 4% yes it was a high weekly intake I agree that i have proberly has caused myself some damage in some way. This is the first Ive known about waiting times with appointments its also the first time using this website and forum. Had I known before hand I wouldn`t of left booking the appointment till now. So I will contatcting the appointed dr on monday I will also obtain a home drug testing kit.
I hope you can get an appointment in time and manage to get things sorted 😊

Nobody will judge on her angler i promise you as we have all been there at some point. Applying for your licence can be a wake up call and realise how much we drink at times. To pass the medical you would be better to abstain totally from drink of any kind. I drink a lot of alcohol free beer if that helps buddy
Thank you for replying about being judged. Truthfully I`m not worried about that I have a mental health condition ( personality disorder) & PTSD the personality disorder I have is a stigmatised condition anyway. So I`ve had years of being judged by others, My condition has been brought on and caused by others who abused me a child. This caused me to have trauma. Ive had it for 35 years so I`m an open book I have no shame or am I embarressed to openly say what I have. As I have had years of therapy for since I was 11 years old and still have therapy now for my condition. This is why I had been a drug taker and a solvent abuser from a very young age again it was a coping mechinism Like you have replied not being judged on here and that it is not the case as you have put in your reply, so again thank you for that.

I`m not applying for my licence to gain my licence back. As I already have and hold at present my driving licence. The test weither I like the outcome or not will determine if the DVLA view if I am able to be safe on the roads. Just the same as it does for others. Which is correct and right & rightly so.

If I have to have my licence revoked until I am fit and able to be behind the wheel it is what I have to accept. Since being sent the letter for the CDT test medical. If I`m honest Ive had 2 weeks of when I have taken any alcohol at all. Like ive stated 2 of them times was when I went over which was yesterday and last week.

Apart from that I have had no drink at all. I will get myself some alcohol free kopperbergs again as thats what I have been having when ive had an urge to drink like I say apart from the 2 occations where I have gone over the recommended guidelines. I haven`t had any. Like I say im wanting and trying to be free alcohol. Ive lost several family members to the drink with them being alcoholic and they all died sober and they all died an horrendous death. So I have seen first hand what alcohol can do to someone.

Last edited:

I have tried to make an appointment with the appointed DVLA medical Dr this morning, unforunately it goes to voicemail. I have left a message with my contact details for them to call me back. You stated to me I should of really made an appointment by now.... as some DVLA doctors only do their medicals one or two mornings a week and some people in here have reported having to wait weeks for an appointment when they ring up.

My first letter for a CDT test sent on the 8th April states nothing of the delays whatsoever. Truthfully after joining this forum on the weekend and being told about delays, I thought I may of misinterprited this first letter for the CDT test.

This obviously wasn`t the case on my behalf. So I don`t see I have done any wrong by leaving the appointment booking till now as the letter never stated how busy the franchise drs are at present.

Upon looking at the second letter for a urine test sent on the 8th June it does state that franchise drs are very busy. The bottom of the letters shows they are different.

As I say I have tried to make contact to arrange an appointment for both of these letter now

Attachments

• 199459174_492258675384411_1685019759529831983_n.jpg
    199459174_492258675384411_1685019759529831983_n.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 199624311_507271737142332_6224223589288136650_n(1).jpg
    199624311_507271737142332_6224223589288136650_n(1).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 20

Hi,, if you really want to get rid of the alcohol altogether then I would strongly advise you to read the alcohol experiment by Annie grace,, certainly look her up, all science based proven facts about alcohol,, goodluck

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off