Breath test

Convicted Driver Insurance

Milton

Just before Christmas I was random breath tested on the A4049 between Pontllanfraith and Bargoed.
I passed the breath test with flying colours with no alcohol in my reading.
That's because I never drive until 22 to 24 hours after I've been drinking.
However, from previous posts on this forum I understand that I can loose my licence due to having
CDT level higher than 2.3 due to regular drinking despite being a careful driver who passes a breath test.
I am confused because if passing a breath test and driving well isn't good enough to hold a clean licence, then what is?
How does a CDT level above 2.3 prove you are a risky driver even though you don't drink and drive?

if you werent prosecuted for drink driving why would they give you the CDT test - this is only carried out on drivers prosecuted and classed as HRO's high risk offenders towards the end of their ban

but dont listen to me, I got a CDT of 1% in my HRO medical and they still wont return my license due to my medical info

AIUI, you could lose your licence on medical grounds if a doctor reports alcohol dependence to the DVLA and they decide to revoke your licence until such a time as you have a medical clean bill of health. I don't know if CDT is used as a measure in these scenarios or not, as they are usually used in the scenario Rufus suggests. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

The police would not give you a CDT test at the roadside, as the results take a while to be returned (several days). The only scenario I can envisage where you could be arrested, whilst under the prescribed limit, is under S4 of the RTA 1988, as we discussed in another thread https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/breath-test-confusion.108692/.

If you were to have a CDT above 2.3 due to alcohol dependence, how would anyone know this, unless they had cause to measure your CDT level (such as prior to your licence being returned for being a HRO or, possibly, the scenario mentioned in paragraph 1)? I'm pretty sure there aren't any situations where the Police would give you a CDT test upon being arrested for being over the prescribed limit, as they would almost certainly put you on an evidential breathaliser instead.

the police are just intersted in the amount of alcohol in your blood/urine/breath at the time of an incident not if you have regular benders - now the DVLA, thats another matter but unless they sent you for a CDT test how would they know unless like mentioned above your GP has reported you to the DVLA so then they might then send you for one and then you have 6 weeks to go to the GP of the DVLAs choice not yours

Last edited:
How does a CDT level above 2.3 prove you are a risky driver even though you don't drink and drive?
It doesnt, it proves you drink regularly at high levels, but the DVLA and home office have decided that statistically you have a higher chance of driving under the influence therefore you are guilty until proven innocent

if you werent prosecuted for drink driving why would they give you the CDT test - this is only carried out on drivers prosecuted and classed as HRO's high risk offenders towards the end of their ban

Not strictly true. I got one slapped on me two and a half years after my GP shopped me to the DVLA because of a single blood test result taken for something else. After the initial 6-month 'ban' for 'alcohol misuse', I was thankfully allowed to drive on a restricted basis. I was never an offender - probably just classed as one by the DVLA because my GP thought fit to play judge and jury without due process. I'll ask him one day - I'll just have to abstain from alcohol for a bit beforehand just in case !!!

Realistically very few people do what you do, leaving such a long period after drinking. The DVLA play a numbers game and assume that a large percentage of people will drive the morning after.

However, as others have said, the CDT test only comes into play if you are convicted of drink driving, or if someone reports you for misusing or depending on alcohol. There is no requirement to have a CDT test simply to get a driving licence.

I can only speak from personal experience with my Dad. He drank heavily every night but drove to work at 6am each morning. I think many chronic alcoholics DD on a routine basis. Because their alcohol tolerance is high they may not be impaired in the same way a moderate drinker would be.

Not strictly true. I got one slapped on me two and a half years after my GP shopped me to the DVLA because of a single blood test result taken for something else. After the initial 6-month 'ban' for 'alcohol misuse', I was thankfully allowed to drive on a restricted basis. I was never an offender - probably just classed as one by the DVLA because my GP thought fit to play judge and jury without due process. I'll ask him one day - I'll just have to abstain from alcohol for a bit beforehand just in case !!!

Thanks for your post. So you don't have to drink and drive in order to be considered a potential drink driver and have
your licence revoked just in case you do drink and drive.
That's like having your licence revoked for speeding just because you own a fast car despite never speeding.
The law is completely mad.

Realistically very few people do what you do, leaving such a long period after drinking. The DVLA play a numbers game and assume that a large percentage of people will drive the morning after.

However, as others have said, the CDT test only comes into play if you are convicted of drink driving, or if someone reports you for misusing or depending on alcohol. There is no requirement to have a CDT test simply to get a driving licence.

I can only speak from personal experience with my Dad. He drank heavily every night but drove to work at 6am each morning. I think many chronic alcoholics DD on a routine basis. Because their alcohol tolerance is high they may not be impaired in the same way a moderate drinker would be.

Hi and thanks for your post.
I am retired so I have no need to get up early to drive to work.
Was your Dad ever involved in a car crash due to drink driving?
Regarding impairment, I've often wondered why that's not taken into account in UK drink driving law.

Thanks for your post. So you don't have to drink and drive in order to be considered a potential drink driver and have
your licence revoked just in case you do drink and drive.
That's like having your licence revoked for speeding just because you own a fast car despite never speeding.
The law is completely mad.

Yes, It's said elsewhere on this forum that that is one of the few instances where you can be punished before doing anything wrong. The GMC, at the time, had just been heavily chastised for aiding that bin-lorry accident up in Glasgow to occur. I think the initial knee-jerk was to make more of an emphasis amongst the GPs on protecting the many from any potentially hazardous patients that may have come their way. Just a theory but it certainly makes me wary now that there is no guarantee of doctor<>patient confidentiality.

Bacchus

doctor<>patient confidentiality.
It doesnt exist anymore - if you go to the GP with a problem they will inform the DVLA if it might effect your ability to drive - I often wondered if the GP gave you a type of medication that effects / might effect your driving, should they inform the DVLA or not give you it if you drive and would they be liable if you got pulled or had an accident had they and not informed the DVLA or told you not to drive - then again they can put anything on your record they like doesnt mean it happened

your also held ransom by the DVLA or potential employers as they get you to sign a waiver to your rights to get a licence or a job

Everyone's knocking the DVLA , but they are the ones responsible for making our roads safe, Nobody has a right to hold a licence you must prove you are compitant to drive! And must inform DVLA of any changes ! It's not your doctor's responsibility it's yours:
But here comes the mix, how much drink is to much, but I don't drink that often etc and never drunk driven in my life despite consuming 70 units a week etc
They gauge your health on several factors many you might not agree, but they have to have some kind of checks to weed out the potential missus's,
The Checks are fine line sometimes, I've been there? If I had odds $$ I would say they get it wrong 5pcnt of the time Seems intrusive sometimes but they have to have a method to weed out especially persistent abuser even if we all disagree the DVLA procedure

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off