Blood Test soon

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jamie125

Hello everyone. I have read a lot of good info from this forum but I could do with some help of someone. I am waiting to book my medical to be able to drive again. I’m not a frequent drinker but when I hit it I hit it hard. How long do you think I will need to rid my body in order to pass? I run a bit and eat healthy ( not sure of either factor) any info would be appreciated

You need to be free of alcohol for a number of weeks at minimum, especially if you binge drink it can really spike CDT levels in your blood. When is your medical? Personally i know wouldn't touch a drop until the medical is complete, even then give it a week or two after, ive read of instances where something has gone wrong and people have been recalled in for blood tests due to the original samples not being correct or lost in transit. Be very careful!

Hello everyone. I have read a lot of good info from this forum but I could do with some help of someone. I am waiting to book my medical to be able to drive again. I’m not a frequent drinker but when I hit it I hit it hard. How long do you think I will need to rid my body in order to pass? I run a bit and eat healthy ( not sure of either factor) any info
You need to be free of alcohol for a number of weeks at minimum, especially if you binge drink it can really spike CDT levels in your blood. When is your medical? Personally i know wouldn't touch a drop until the medical is complete, even then give it a week or two after, ive read of instances where something has gone wrong and people have been recalled in for blood tests due to the original samples not being correct or lost in transit. Be very careful!
I haven’t booked it yet but hearing your advice I’m going to give it at least 3 weeks. Will be a week Monday so will prob give it 3.5 weeks. My Nan is up and I’ve got a car I just need to sort the medical out. Thank you for the advise

When was your last drink? CDT has a half life of around 2 weeks, and levels normalise after 4 weeks, so depending on how much you drank id delay as long as you can if youve had a binge recently!

When was your last drink? CDT has a half life of around 2 weeks, and levels normalise after 4 weeks, so depending on how much you drank id delay as long as you can if youve had a binge recently!
Monday just gone, 2 bottles of wine and the Wednesday before about 10 pints.

Yeah 3.5 weeks you will be risking it, like a say to normalise is roughly 4 weeks, it halves levels after 2. Ultimatley the choice is yours but it will be a touch and go, for the sake of booking an extra two weeks for levels to come down, if not it could potentially delay your license for 6 months as it will class as "misuse"

Yeah 3.5 weeks you will be risking it, like a say to normalise is roughly 4 weeks, it halves levels after 2. Ultimatley the choice is yours but it will be a touch and go, for the sake of booking an extra two weeks for levels to come down, if not it could potentially delay your license for 6 months as it will class as "misuse"
Ok mate I’m going to push it back a week then so I’ve got 4 full weeks

As well, there maybe a chance they will also write to your GP, will there be anything in your records to show anything about alcohol? If not perfect if theres been any instances, just random chats with GP about how much you consume etc or incidents with alcohol, they flag that against you as well! hence why a low CDT score will be needed! By what ive read sneakily the DVLA have now lowered the bracket without any info on the matter it was 2.2% and below now im reading 1.6% and below is usually the jump off point!

As well, there maybe a chance they will also write to your GP, will there be anything in your records to show anything about alcohol? If not perfect if theres been any instances, just random chats with GP about how much you consume etc or incidents with alcohol, they flag that against you as well! hence why a low CDT score will be needed! By what ive read sneakily the DVLA have now lowered the bracket without any info on the matter it was 2.2% and below now im reading 1.6% and below is usually the jump off point!
Wow that is crazy. Don’t think I’ve ever been the doctors about drink, not to my knowledge. Does things like running and drinking wanter help?

Monday just gone, 2 bottles of wine and the Wednesday before about 10 pints.

10 pints in one sitting is at least double the weekly recommended alcohol units as defined by the Chief Medical Officer. I would say you need a minimum of six weeks sobriety before doing the CDT just to be on the safe side.

CJ

That seems a lot of time. I’m quite healthy. I’ve read this forum from top to bottom and people have passed this whilst Weill drinking weekly

That seems a lot of time. I’m quite healthy. I’ve read this forum from top to bottom and people have passed this whilst Weill drinking weekly
I definitely wouldn’t risk it if I were you to be honest! Not everyone is 100% honest I’m afraid! But obviously it’s up to you 🤞🤞

I think on CDT, you’ll just about be OK. Just stay dry between now and then! :)

Obviously what you’ve written above never happened. Hopefully none of this was mentioned on your DR1 application either, because if you said on there that you drink excessively (in their eyes) the medical results could be irrelevant. As (I think) CJ said elsewhere, our chums down in the valleys seem to be taking a zero tolerance with anyone with any history of misuse of dependence, and to me it seems as if their definition of either is more stringent now than previously.

To me, this is exactly the type of situation the DVLA thinks it is on top of, but is actually encouraging the opposite. Their rules… good luck.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off