Blacked out driving, bloods taken & now have court date. Help pls

Convicted Driver Insurance

Manicpob

Hi. I need help please. I am suffering severe depresssion and anxiety which was compounded when my ex was diagnosed with cancer. I thought she was goi g to die so I started drinking spirits instead of asking for help. Being a man I saw my depression and anxiety as weakness. I got in the car to drive to see my 90year old mother and had a black out and ended up in a ditch. Someone called the police and to cut a long story short I gave blood and now have to appear in court on the 18/1/19. I was in hospital over Christmas when the letter arrived and have not been able to get advice. I have no job now and no income so any advice greatly appreciated. I am pleading guilty in advance and wanted to know if this was the right thing to do.

Hi. I need help please. I am suffering severe depresssion and anxiety which was compounded when my ex was diagnosed with cancer. I thought she was goi g to die so I started drinking spirits instead of asking for help. Being a man I saw my depression and anxiety as weakness. I got in the car to drive to see my 90year old mother and had a black out and ended up in a ditch. Someone called the police and to cut a long story short I gave blood and now have to appear in court on the 18/1/19. I was in hospital over Christmas when the letter arrived and have not been able to get advice. I have no job now and no income so any advice greatly appreciated. I am pleading guilty in advance and wanted to know if this was the right thing to do.
Hi Manic,

It may be best to start your own thread, and also to post your charge and readings.

However, firstly I would say please go to your GP if you haven't already. Depression is something they can give you short and/or long term help with.

Secondly, if you intend to tell the court that depression caused you to drink drive it is essential that you tell them you have sought professional help. Although they will be sympathetic, most people with severe depression don't drink and drive. If you "see it as a weakness" the court will likely assume that if the same circumstances occur you will drink drive again. They have a duty to protect other road users and will likely reflect that when sentencing.

The normal advice is don't make excuses unless it's a recognised mitigant or defence. The problem with justifying your actions is that it is very easy to slip into saying there are good reasons to drink drive.

If it doubt fall on your sword, apologise and say it will never happen again. It's difficult to go wrong with that.

Best of luck.

Remember as well that if you have severe depression you should be telling the DVLA about that as well. If you have told the police they may well have recorded that information and query it if you don't have a medical licence when you get your licence back.

Unlike DD this tends to be a tick box exercise where they send a form to your GP. It is very rare severe depression will cause any issues.

Best of luck.

Remember as well that if you have severe depression you should be telling the DVLA about that as well. If you have told the police they may well have recorded that information and query it if you don't have a medical licence when you get your licence back.

Unlike DD this tends to be a tick box exercise where they send a form to your GP. It is very rare severe depression will cause any issues.
Thank you fo this info, I didn’t know about letting the DVLA know. I will post the outcome after the 18/1/19. First time ever in court for anything and very nervous

Sad to learn that, but don’t worry mate it could’ve been worse. Also it’s over now!! Hope you’re hoping okay. With time everything would be okay and we learnt our lesson Never drink and drive ??

Sad to learn that, but don’t worry mate it could’ve been worse. Also it’s over now!! Hope you’re hoping okay. With time everything would be okay and we learnt our lesson Never drink and drive ??
Thanks. This is an episode that will never be forgotten,

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off