Been lurking for awhile

Convicted Driver Insurance

Onlymyselftoblame

Well Known Member
Hi all

Been lurking in the back ground on the forum reading all the information that everyone has kindly put on

I was caught drink driving on the 17th of December 2022, blew a stupidly high number at the road side (123) and in police station. Spent 21 hours in the cell (the police officer that arrested me on the night shift released me the following night , even admitted that they possibly forgot I was still there and couldn't believe I was still there , but he was very nice and drove me to where my wife was waiting to pick me up and let me sit in the car eating as they forgot to feed me in the cell , we had a laugh and joke and he advised to make sure I put the police station as a zero score on Trip advisor) First time ever in a back on a police car and also in the front when he gave me a lift!
Court case was on the 21st of December , thankfully really quickly as I was bricking it and wouldn't have been able to cope worrying about it over Xmas as I always think the worst case and I knew that prison sentence could be on the cards. Duty solicitor talked me through it , and wanted to get the case adjourned till after Xmas as court room was really busy, I really didn't want that so was happy when I was seen...... Duty Solicitor was amazing , from his notes explained what a normal guy I was and family depended on me.... it was all true. Judge was lenient on me.... 12 weeks prison sentence , suspended (so didn't have to go to prison) 24 month ban and 200 hours community service , plus a fine...... Also able to take a driving course to reduce ban
The judge was at home , so I was watching him on a TV , which I don't know if it is normal as I have never been in a court room , or that horrible glass box, he could see I was upset , could see my family up set and commented that due to my long clean license and I have never been in trouble before for anything there was no point in sending me to prison as he doubts I would ever set foot in a court room again . Not sure if he says that to everyone but I was so happy. I wasn't happy when he sentenced me to 12 weeks prison but the speaker cut out when he said suspended and couldn't hear him, the wife was a mess , so was I, but that was sorted out when he said I could go.....

Since then I have done 121.5 hours community service (my probation officer allowed me to do a few online courses to get 60 hours done)
I've seen my probation officer once , but we email each other so don't have to see them in person, I work in a charity shop on a Saturday, normally I work in an office Monday to Friday so it's a long week but I have only myself to blame so I'm cracking on with it
I haven't done my driving course yet , or booked it , reading peoples posts I know what to expect and to book it early , but as I only have Saturdays to do it on I have to wait to my CS finishes first
I have booked a doctors appointment which is in a couple of weeks time to have some bloods done and record my last drinking day (17th of December 2022)
My records show on his files that last time I went there was in 2016 and my wife mentioned "sometimes I can drink a bit too much" and his suggestion was maybe "seeing someone about it", probably not the best thing for a HRO offender but I will have to see when eventually do the "DVLA dance"
I'm 82 days free of drink, riding my bike to work (about 18 miles a day) apart from when it snowed , if not I take 2 buses
I miss my under 9's football teams training days (I'm their manager) on a Saturday but my 2 coaches take it as I say i have to work a few months on a Saturday (my normal job) but I take the Thursday training days as I ride there (I have not told the football parents why I'm not driving anymore, not told a lot of people , just close family and work) thankfully I don't need a car in the office so I kept my job, it was at a work do that I got caught so I was the laughing stock of the office which didn't matter as I was already hating myself and still have shudder moments where I remember doing it, I don't think that will stop for a long time

I wanted to give you my story , as I have read most of yours and wanted to thank you all for taking the time to write back to other people with your advice as it has certainly helped me
The guilt won't go away for what I have done and the hurt I have put on my family but I'm trying to make up for that the best I can

Feel free to ask any questions

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off