Ban

Convicted Driver Insurance

Top2020

Hi I am looking for help I have recently been stopped on the M1 for drink driving and blew in at 63 I was taking to the station and I complied with everything I was told to do after a couple hours I was free to go and return to my vehicle I have a court date within the next couple of weeks this is my first offence and I feel sick knowing that even though I’d slept eaten and drank coffee I put myself in this mess I have read online the courts to not care about your personal circumstances and that my reading would state a 17-22 month ban and fine I have been told I will not be imprisoned I have a job in care which I am currently handing my notice is in as I think they will no longer keep me just wondered if anybody has ever got a 12 month ban with this reading I’m so distraught and loosing everything

Hi, yes unfortunately a ban and fine what you predicted will be the punishment, however what you can do when at court is to ask for the drink drive rehabilitation course which will reduce your ban by 25%, stay in touch with the forum during your ban for useful information, don't forget to ask for the course once at court as it cannot be offered after......

I know this will be my punishment but is there anything in my favour that I could do other then the course would they automatically say it’s 17-22 ban with this reading or could they still only offer me a 12 month ban and possibly reduce to 9 for taking the course

I'm unsure exactly what the magistrates will decide and the ban we mentioned are guidlines, what you can do as well is to present a character reference and any mitigating circumstances you can think of, at the end of the day you been caught fair and square and the drink drive statistics are rising year on year so don't expect a slap on the wrist, the 12 month ban would be imposed on a lower reading, but try not to beat yourself up about it too much there are plenty on this forum in your situation and plenty to talk to here,,,,,any fine would be based on your work related earnings...

I'm unsure exactly what the magistrates will decide and the ban we mentioned are guidlines, what you can do as well is to present a character reference and any mitigating circumstances you can think of, at the end of the day you been caught fair and square and the drink drive statistics are rising year on year so don't expect a slap on the wrist, the 12 month ban would be imposed on a lower reading, but try not to beat yourself up about it too much there are plenty on this forum in your situation and plenty to talk to here,,,,,any fine would be based on your work related earnings...
FINE BAND C
Starting Point: 150% of relevant weekly income
Range: 125% - 175% of relevant weekly income

FINE BAND C
Starting Point: 150% of relevant weekly income
Range: 125% - 175% of relevant weekly income
[/Compulsory unpaid work requirement (aka Community Service)

The compulsory unpaid work requirement requires offenders to carry out unpaid work (between 40 and 300 hours) on projects that benefit the community and under close supervision. Offenders can be given individual placements such as working in a charity shop or a community care home. They can also be given group placements where a group of offenders will be supervised by an unpaid work supervisor. Group placements can involve tidying up local parks and beauty spots, painting and decorating community centres, cutting grass and various other tasks.

Thank you for all your advice I am currently working in homecare but will be handing my notice in straight after Christmas as I cannot continue this work without a license but I am looking to get another job in a carehome it’s self to carry on my financial status as I fear I won’t be able to pay my fine or household income but I don’t want to tell my employees I case I do get fired it may be harder to go into another job but I’m thinking if I hand my notice in before court that I can leave with some dignity also I’m not sure a carehome will take me as it is a new conviction I just cannot see a way out without this destroying everything

We all make mistakes, in the beginning it can feel like your world is caving in and probably your not far from the truth, however many people have kept their jobs with a DD conviction( it could of been worse you could of been in an accident and have insurance company chasing you) why don't you have a chat to your manager if you can't use your car surely they will have a care home so that you can transfer to, with so many people living longer I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose you .....and I think the care homes will need all the help they can get, all is not lost yet, your human you made a mistake that's all ....

I know this will be my punishment but is there anything in my favour that I could do other then the course would they automatically say it’s 17-22 ban with this reading or could they still only offer me a 12 month ban and possibly reduce to 9 for taking the course

they do not really take personal circumstances in to account for the length of theban, more the circumstances of the offence. Nothing in what you have said indicates to me that they will deviate from the guidelines of 17-23 months, with 17-18 being the most likely..... unless you are in Scotland where there are no sentencing brackets or in Northern Ireland where the norm is 12 months regardless, but you have to re-take your test at the end of the ban.

I have stated I’ve only been driving 18 months but they say I may get that bracket of a ban but will get my license back to me I’m just worried I will not be accepted anywhere else for a job with this conviction in my line of work

All solicitors in England and Wales should say that you do not have to retake your test after your ban is up. (I said that only applies in Northern Ireland) The new driver - resit your test rule only applies to 6 points in the first 2 years, and drink driving carries a ban but no points.

Occasionally a court in England or Wales might order a retest but this is used for old drivers where there competency is suspect, or brand new drivers. After 18 months it should be fine.

For a job in a care home the employer will want a DBS check done, which will show up the drink drive conviction. It will be best to be honest from the outset with them. You will not require a driving licence for residential work, their concern will be if you abuse alcohol so by being honest from the outset you can stress that this was a one off, and did not involve large amounts of alcohol.

Waiting to go to court is so awful I just want the day to hurry up and come now so they can put me out of my misery think I’m excepting my ban coming now but the worry is the fine I’m trying to change jobs and admit to my interviewers that I’m gunna have a conviction which makes me look irresponsible and stupid every time also trying to find work before hand to prepare for this fine as not only do I have a house to run but a child to bring up I’m so scared that things will just get worse and not only that the courts will punish me but that il be paying for this for a very long time I can’t change what I’ve done but I hope I don’t pay forever and I hope it doesn’t get worse then this I feel trapped in every way sorry for the rant

Being honest with current employer is best as if your case hits the press they will not be happy.
Re fine you have a form to fill in for court with all your outgoings this will include for the future travel
You can negotiate to pay in instalments or worst case not advised credit card. The fine is linked to your salary.

I have already handed my notice in before court so I don’t have to bare the shame it’s finding a new job now that’s ruining me admitting this as I have to have a dbs done so I’m coming clean before I begin it’s jist ruining everything now I’m trying to repair the mistake I made but I feel like there is no way out

I have already handed my notice in before court so I don’t have to bare the shame it’s finding a new job now that’s ruining me admitting this as I have to have a dbs done so I’m coming clean before I begin it’s jist ruining everything now I’m trying to repair the mistake I made but I feel like there is no way out

Bare the shame? What are you talking about? You receive a far smaller fine in court if you are unemployed.
Also if you don't sign on and therefore receive no income your fine will be zero.
Get a job after the court case and you will not have to pay.
Play the legal system at it's own game and you will be ok.

Bare the shame? What are you talking about? You receive a far smaller fine in court if you are unemployed.
Also if you don't sign on and therefore receive no income your fine will be zero.
Get a job after the court case and you will not have to pay.
Play the legal system at it's own game and you will be ok.
And how much money will you lose by giving up your job and not signing on? If it takes you 3 months to find a job it will be more than the fine!
You mention in a post about saving for your pension, if the poster is in this position they would also face loss of pension contributions while they look for a job.

Even if unemployed you still have to pay £85 prosecution costs and the £20 victim surcharge.

i would always advocate talking to your employer if you find yourself in this position. They may be more understanding than you think, and want to retain you. By resigning you have to explain your conviction to a prospective new employer who will know very little about your quality of work and base their decision just on you “shameful” conviction.
if your type of job (as in this original posters case) involves a DBS check then this could lead to another 4-6 week delay in earning money on top of the time taken to find a job while the check is carried out.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off