Asking Dr for LFT

Convicted Driver Insurance

DonkeyKong

Established Member
I’m waiting for my test results. Finally got around to applying.
Im expecting very low CDT as I gave up alcohol, and I could genuinely answer NO to every question apart from ”how many times more than 6 units drank in last year” which I put 2 or 3. Reading here it looks like they will contact my Dr anyway (120+ HRO) and he will have notes from 4 years ago where I admitted to drinking a lot due to anxiety. I wasn’t treated for this, or told I was dependent, and subsequently saw him again 6 months later and reported I was drinking normally. I’m worried he might respond to DVLA that I was misusing.

So, given that I might have a few months wait to find out, can I go to the Doctor now and ask for an LFT and log last drink ? Just in case the worst happens ? I wondered what anyone’s experience was in going to the doctor and asking this? If I have to prove 6 months it will be well into next year if I don’t start now (and my ban was up 15 months ago).

It seems to vary from one GP to another. Some people on here say their GP has been supportive and been happy to do LFT tests, others have flatly refused, saying there is no medical need for one. I would suggest that the process of getting your licence back is proving stressful so there is a medical need for an LFT test to reassure you in the process.

You can get a liver function test quite inexpensively privately.
You can, but DVLA disregard private tests as there is no assurance that the sample was provided for the person having the DVLA medical…….

Yep - I already have a private one, but as Price says, is no use for this purpose.
I agree with Price. I asked my GP to do LFT’s tests regularly, and the GP was very supportive, said just book them with reception. I am sure that if you go and speak with the GP and give them the good reason behind that, they will understand. For example I am still waiting the the blood results, and I will start doing LFT’s to be prepared…for the worst. Take care

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off