Arrested for drink driving but released without charge

Convicted Driver Insurance

Biglez

Hi all

I've found myself in a predicament.

Almost 6 months ago I was unfortunately stupid enough to drive after a couple of drinks.

I stopped drinking around 10pm, headed to the train station on foot (around half hour walk) got to my local station (took a further 45 minutes by train from London) at this point it was around midnight? Half 12? I also had a couple energy drinks.

Instead of getting a taxi (as I felt fine to drive) I then decided to go for a quiet drive and head home. Unfortunately, I was down a country lane opposite some houses and lost traction on sheet ice doing around 40mph and hit some parked cars.

Spoke to the residents but they could smell alcohol on me and phoned police.

I gave a brief description of what happened they breathalysed me and I came up around double the limit.

I recall being arrested, told I was under arrest for suspicion of drink driving and taken to hospital.

I sat with police for an hour or so, before being seen by a nurse, stated I was fine and sat with police again. I was then taken to a room for multiple blood draws. 1x for police, 1x for me and 1x for the immediate testing.

After another couple hours I was released without charge as blood apparently wasn't higher enough to charge me.

3 months pass, letter from police just asking for my name address etc

We are now approaching 6 months since the accident and they have now sent me a letter asking for finger prints.

Why would they want prints when I was never convicted or found guilty of drink driving?

Thanks

Good afternoon,

They have six months to charge/summons you, so they may still be investigating.

They may be looking for the fingerprints to help them prove you were in fact the driver or it may by that they are after prints, DNA and a photo which they are entitled to ask for (however this is not part of the case)

It seems like it would be a good time to talk to a lawyer or alternatively make some more enquiries yourself to ascertain the current state of the investigation.

Kind regards
Martin.

Good afternoon,

They have six months to charge/summons you, so they may still be investigating.

They may be looking for the fingerprints to help them prove you were in fact the driver or it may by that they are after prints, DNA and a photo which they are entitled to ask for (however this is not part of the case)

It seems like it would be a good time to talk to a lawyer or alternatively make some more enquiries yourself to ascertain the current state of the investigation.

Kind regards
Martin.
Hi Martin

I ended up with a court date for 29th May, charge sheet says drink driving.

I have got myself a solicitor and are going over the details next Thursday 8th June.

One question I do have, is my insurance runs out Monday 5th. Now, would they try and reclaim any costs paid out for the accident even though I was charged AFTER my policy ends?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off