Are the drink driving laws in the UK adequate?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Not been here for a bit but was more disturbed by these comments than the comments he was making reference to
"Blimey ! I think you have some serious mental issues Ladybones ! instead of reminding me and no doubt others of a disgusting racist with strong comparisons to Hitler and the Third Reich perhaps look at seeing a qualified medical professional paid for by yourself not on the NHS.

The whole vapourisation comment is pretty disturbed, sick and worrying I hope you do the world a favour and get help. "

She is as entitled to her point of view refgarding the selfishness of drunk drivers as you are to drink and drive and get caught over the limit then like most on here winge about it.

Being found guilty of drink driving which is against the law carries a penalty. If you are prepared to drink and drive do not complain when you are charged accordingly and risk losing all the things mentioned.
This woman obviously has a problem with drunk drivers for a reason. There are far too many posts from drunk drivers who think they are being overly punished.

Drinking and driving while OVER a prescribed limit is a CRIME.
If people are not sure if they should drive after drinking are playing russian roulette. They should just think themselves lucky if they have an accident and no one else is hurt.

While this not please all of the people who disaree with me- and this 'strange' woman, tough

I think Ladybones and w.knight may well be trolls trying to get a rise out of people. It's a bit of sport to some people and there are forums out there who target specific websites until they get people to bite.

Either that or just Daily Mail readers. Either way not worth worrying about!

drink driving kills or injuries, on average, 12000 a year. How can that be 'not worth worrying about'

New Pedestrian. View the documentary I made here and then see what you think - especially sandy's story...

http://dontbethatsomeone.co.uk/

Mike

I think Ladybones and w.knight may well be trolls trying to get a rise out of people. It's a bit of sport to some people and there are forums out there who target specific websites until they get people to bite.

Either that or just Daily Mail readers. Either way not worth worrying about!

Think you misunderstood my post there; perhaps i didn't write it clearly enough. I think that those posters are not worth getting upset about because I have a theory that they may be trolls.

In my humblest of opinions, those of us here who have been convicted and punished for drink driving really don't need anyone to come and throw rotten vegetables at us. The justice system (and by extension society) has prescribed a suitable sentence for us and most of us have learned a great deal as a result, not least from the extensive drink driving rehabilitation course.

So even if they're not trolls (I still think at least one of them is and probably both), they are making sweeping judgements about everyone who posts on this forum. Either way I don't think that they are worth getting upset about. Them. Not drink driving.

If you read some of my posts on this forum you'll see that I already dislike drink driving.

Think you misunderstood my post there; perhaps i didn't write it clearly enough. I think that those posters are not worth getting upset about because I have a theory that they may be trolls.

In my humblest of opinions, those of us here who have been convicted and punished for drink driving really don't need anyone to come and throw rotten vegetables at us. The justice system (and by extension society) has prescribed a suitable sentence for us and most of us have learned a great deal as a result, not least from the extensive drink driving rehabilitation course.

So even if they're not trolls (I still think at least one of them is and probably both), they are making sweeping judgements about everyone who posts on this forum. Either way I don't think that they are worth getting upset about. Them. Not drink driving.

If you read some of my posts on this forum you'll see that I already dislike drink driving.

Hear hear! Sick of being lectured about it. We've admitted wrong doing and have expressed remorse, paid fines and are trying to pay our debt to society. I for one will never do it again but how many times does a one time convicted drink driver have to say sorry for making a mistake? Nobody is perfect and people make mistakes. I've watched many videos about the pain and devastation drink driving causes and will NEVER make the mistake again.

If someone repeats the offence then I for one have no sympathy either. Beat them with a stick repeatedly but stop beating the ones who made a mistake and will never do it again. Rant over. Dee x

Yes and no.

Going back to the initial question, I believe each case is individual. Sure there are some nasty people out there who have no qualms about breaking the law and hurting other people. However, from what I have read on this site, the majority of people sincerely regret their actions and certainly never set out to do anything stupid. I am one of them.
I was dismayed by the comments by w.knight and Ladybones especially. It was people like her that made me feel so embarrassed about admitting my folly to those that know me. If they were all as judgemental as Ladybones no one could ever admit they have made mistakes in their lives.
Anyone who has read my posts will know I was banned for just over a year for being found behind the wheel of my car having had some wine earlier in the day. The whole police and court experience was very stressful and not being able to drive brings about new problems every day. In other words, my punishment extends beyond the driving ban and into everyday life. I admit I made a mistake and deserved the punishment. I have therefore quit drinking (not that I drank much anyway) and my life will improve because if the lesson I have learnt.
In my defence, I would not have driven if I felt drunk because I know I would risk crashing and possibly harming or killing someone. I was punished accordingly but, just like so many people on this site, I am not a bad person who set out to do bad things. If I was deliberately reckless, then I would deserve severe consequences.
As New Pedestrian said, these two people may be trolls who set out to stir things up on here. I do wonder if Ladybones is one of those hardliners who takes great pleasure in kicking a person when he/she is down. I am also curious to know if Ladybones and w.knight have ever unwittingly committed a ‘crime’ or made any mistakes in their lives. I am sure they have because no one is perfect.
She had her emotional rant, said her ‘goodbye’ to the site (after all the opposition to her nasty remarks, I doubt she would show herself again) and no doubt will make certain patients under her care suffer more indignity. If we learn from our mistakes and become better people for it, that makes us better than those who sit on a pedestal and cast judgement.
My closing remark is that only those that are perfect should judge.
Stay positive.

No I am not a troll I am someone who sees far too often people, who are obviously not like you that have slagged me off for my equally valid opinion, however warped in your eyes. I see that you all feel that you will never repeat your mistake and one of you feels that people who reoffend deserve what they get. No I am not perfect but I made a choice the day I passed my driving test I would NEVER drink and drive. I always wear my seat belt, I have voice activated hands free for my phone and I try my best not to speed. I think extra about bikes and cycles all as a result of my job where I see the after effects. Yes sure I have seen many who were mortified about the accident and had obviously not planned to have an accident which hurt or killed someone. One or two I have had moments of sympathy. More so for their family who have to live with it as well.
I should have never written the comments when I did as I was still raw from the incident of my FILs, drunken driving, 12 weeks in ITU, crap fine and ban and the fall out of all this crap on my Husband. I do realise there are people out there who are mortified but some of the comments I read leading up to my comments sounded very self centred.
I realise most of you are writing from a personal point of view. I have been swamped by incidents over the past 30 years and this incident with my father in law really made my blood boil and when I came here and read some of the posts in a negative way I splurged my venom into posts. Perhaps I would have been better going to an anti drink driving forum where my rant would have been better understood. I also have wondered if any of you had been a victim of a drunk driver either directly or indirectly via family or close friends, would your opinions about the current laws be the same. Yes you have paid a bigger price than the legal system has given you in terms of potential/actual losses above the fine and ban. I made a conscious decision not to drink and drive, as I am aware of these costs too and am not prepared to pay them
I tried to post last week to apologise-my post wouldn’t load. So I will apologise here and now. Since then my father in laws ban has expired and he has taken delivery of a brand new car, his insurance is nowhere near the £1000+ I was hoping it would be and today he got drunk at the club and drove home- couldn’t park the car and could barely walk to the house up the drive. I had a text from a friend who was there telling me and she had phoned the police-just like she had the last time obviously not a high priority prior to him having an accident.
He has never stopped drinking, because he wasn’t a 'high risk' at BAV 115mg he didn’t have to pass any medical, he had no problem getting his licence back and you wonder why I was so angry before. His family just standby and watch. They are scared of him. I just hope he doesn’t kill anyone before the police stop him which I hope they eventually will. I have told him what I think and he family are paying the price of my outburst.
I have lost count of people who I have had to look after who have driven while banned or repeatedly driving while drunk and it is these people who I have a bigger issue with.
I wonder if you have ever made comments or have opinions about people like this when you have heard about them in the news. But I doubt many of them come here looking for help.
I wish you all a swift return to driving and hope you live up to your aspirations.

Maybe you can all teach me a thing or two.

No I am not a troll I am someone who sees far too often people, who are obviously not like you that have slagged me off for my equally valid opinion, however warped in your eyes. I see that you all feel that you will never repeat your mistake and one of you feels that people who reoffend deserve what they get. No I am not perfect but I made a choice the day I passed my driving test I would NEVER drink and drive. I always wear my seat belt, I have voice activated hands free for my phone and I try my best not to speed. I think extra about bikes and cycles all as a result of my job where I see the after effects. Yes sure I have seen many who were mortified about the accident and had obviously not planned to have an accident which hurt or killed someone. One or two I have had moments of sympathy. More so for their family who have to live with it as well.
I should have never written the comments when I did as I was still raw from the incident of my FILs, drunken driving, 12 weeks in ITU, crap fine and ban and the fall out of all this crap on my Husband. I do realise there are people out there who are mortified but some of the comments I read leading up to my comments sounded very self centred.
I realise most of you are writing from a personal point of view. I have been swamped by incidents over the past 30 years and this incident with my father in law really made my blood boil and when I came here and read some of the posts in a negative way I splurged my venom into posts. Perhaps I would have been better going to an anti drink driving forum where my rant would have been better understood. I also have wondered if any of you had been a victim of a drunk driver either directly or indirectly via family or close friends, would your opinions about the current laws be the same. Yes you have paid a bigger price than the legal system has given you in terms of potential/actual losses above the fine and ban. I made a conscious decision not to drink and drive, as I am aware of these costs too and am not prepared to pay them
I tried to post last week to apologise-my post wouldn’t load. So I will apologise here and now. Since then my father in laws ban has expired and he has taken delivery of a brand new car, his insurance is nowhere near the £1000+ I was hoping it would be and today he got drunk at the club and drove home- couldn’t park the car and could barely walk to the house up the drive. I had a text from a friend who was there telling me and she had phoned the police-just like she had the last time obviously not a high priority prior to him having an accident.
He has never stopped drinking, because he wasn’t a 'high risk' at BAV 115mg he didn’t have to pass any medical, he had no problem getting his licence back and you wonder why I was so angry before. His family just standby and watch. They are scared of him. I just hope he doesn’t kill anyone before the police stop him which I hope they eventually will. I have told him what I think and he family are paying the price of my outburst.
I have lost count of people who I have had to look after who have driven while banned or repeatedly driving while drunk and it is these people who I have a bigger issue with.
I wonder if you have ever made comments or have opinions about people like this when you have heard about them in the news. But I doubt many of them come here looking for help.
I wish you all a swift return to driving and hope you live up to your aspirations.

Maybe you can all teach me a thing or two.
I don't think we can teach you much at all. You've had enough explanations. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this ****.

I lost a 25 year old flatmate to a car accident six years ago. No reason, no drugs, no alcohol, zero speed.

I'm now 40. You'd think I'd know better. I did. But I didn't work out 'night before' units. I didn't.
I'm not making excuses, but don't let your experiences cloud your judgement.
Some of us have had **** experiences also.

I appreciated lots of your post.

I just hope you can invert your irony.

ITs like this. You broke the law, you got done. I think the laws on drink driving are fair enough. The thing that is not fair is the the fact that a court makes a professional decision on how long the ban is for, then after if your classed as a high risk offender you get shoved through a system that they make out to be for safety ,when in reallity its just a money making scam that charges £100 a go and a right load of stress, time and ways fabricated by people who are not a professional Judges who are in a position to (decide) to give your licence back or not.People who can decide depending if they have had a bad day or stubbed their toe will simply say no to a person who has been to a court and done his or her time ,so to say. Why have the court in the first place when drink drivers can just be put in the hands of the dvla, the land of lost letters, lost blood samples, Why have a Magistrate when joe Blogs off the street can get a job at Dvla and just send letters out refusing your licence laughing their heads off spinning round in a leather chair?I cant understand how this madness has gone on so long without being regulated.People, please stand up for your rights. Even the medical is a nighmare, they have a 3 week time limmit on it and not enough appointment times and places, so round and round you go getting your money took off you all in the name of safety. We need laws ,we dont need to go back to being accused of witchcraft because we look like we may have or thinking of a drink,or revoke our licence because we had a good drink on holiday a month ago.

This section is intended as a brief summary of the current law relating to drink-driving in the United Kingdom. I am not a lawyer and I make no undertaking as to the accuracy of this information. If you need detailed legal advice I recommend you consult a solicitor. Links to several firms of solicitors specializing in drink-driving cases can be found on the links page of this site. The Resident Lawyer website, operated by a firm of solicitors, offers basic legal advice on drink-driving cases.

I love how people show sheer outrage at drunk drivers as if they are such terrible people. Does anyone who drink drives intentionally get in a car to kill someone? What about convicted murderers, child killers, people who abuse children, people who use guns and knife crime. Drink Driving is about education. I have not seen the implications that drink driving has on people. I didn't even know a 12 month ban was mandatory, and I'm a qualified driver. Considering the punishments people get for shoplifting, knife crime, gun crime, assault, you usually get away with fines and community service - drink driving laws are disproportionately heavy handed. All a drunk driver is guilty of is being inconsiderate, uneducated, and reckless. I would also hazard a guess that a large proportion of drink drivers caught did not even understand the punishments of their actions, and would not have considered taking the risk if they had known what they would face for their actions. Can you say the same for muggers, people who commit violent sexual assaults? Not really, these are people who commit offenses and have no moral judgement. If they did a better job at educating people, so they understand their actions, and more to reduce the binge drinking culture in this country , which might I also add is probably amongst the worst in the world - the government need to take a good hard look at themselves when all you have to do is step out into a city centre on a Saturday night and see the teenagers staggering all over the streets, hello 24 hour licensing laws anyone, supermarkets selling booze around the clock - and this is causing MORE deaths than drink driving, THEN people can take the moral high ground.

No.. if law was adequate drunken drive offenses are controlled.. Not happen in nowadays Daily the lot of drunken driving accidents are occurs..many of the innocent people are affected by the foolish drunk drivers...

No.. if law was adequate drunken drive offenses are controlled.. Not happen in nowadays Daily the lot of drunken driving accidents are occurs..many of the innocent people are affected by the foolish drunk drivers...

I agree with you and I am 100% against drink driving which is something I have never done nor every will do.

As far as the sentencing goes, I think the 12 months minimum disqualification for a first offence is actually a fair sentence and should make the majority of offenders think twice before they do it again. Obviously they have put peoples lives in danger by committing the offence but I do believe everyone deserves a second chance to learn from their mistakes.

Dont forget they will be further punished by having a criminal record and high insurance premiums for the next 5 years so the combination of these 'punishments' I feel is adequate for a first time offender.

However, I think the sentencing for repeat offenders is not adequate and should be a straight 10 year ban for a second offence and a 6 month prison sentence. This may seem harsh to some but it would reflect the fact that they are putting innocent peoples lives in danger AGAIN.

If they have not learned from the first time that is a good indication that they will continue to drink drive which can only ever lead to someone actually being injured or killed, so sentences for a second offence should reflect that.

A third offence I think should see the offenders licence revoked for life.

I have no sympathy at all for repeat offenders.

A definite NO!

To be in effect "Aiming" over a ton of metal at the public on the road needs 100% concentration. I have had a child killed by a DD, no licence or insurance and yes they were full of remorse, went to prison for 18 Months (out in just over 6 with a tag) and banned for 2 years. Now she is driving again but I will not have my son for the rest of my life!

NO AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL IS TOO MUCH! But...

1) Under 80 (breath) 5yrs Ban and a retest (unless of exceptional circumstances, spiked drinks etc)

2) Over 80~120 (breath) ~ mandatory blood test and if confirmed 1 Yr In prison and 10 yr Ban

3) All else, over 120, (2nd DD etc) 5 Yrs in prison, (min), and lifetime ban!

Yes it is harsh but only when we remove these addicted idiots from the road and show we mean it, will we start to really deal with the problem. At the end of the day, DD's who are in prison are not on the road! Thus saving lives!!

The problem with giving offenders a 10 year ban or possibly a life ban be it 1st offence or 2nd offence is you are then giving that person no hope for the future and rehabilitation. The person is highly likely to drive while disqualified and when caught, just accept it as a hazard, you can then send him to prison for life too and it might stop some offenders but not all. We will then have our prisons all full of drivers who have driven while disqualified and there will be no room for the murderers, rapist, child abusers, burglers etc etc.

Even most convicts in prison have a release date to look forward to, the ones who don't have nothing to lose and can murder again in prison, what have they got to lose? The prison system would be full of riots if drink drivers were jailed for life with no hope of release. If they are banned for life, what hope have they got of ever driving again? None, so I am sure many of them would drive while disqualified. Do you guys suggest we consider cutting their hands off too, that might stop them driving again. yes that is a good idea, lets hang all convicted murderers, rapists etc even tho history has proven we often hung innocent people. Then lets cut the hands off drunken drivers who drive while disqualified, it will be cheaper than sending them to prison for life and if it is eventually proven that they were innocent perhaps we can sew some new hands on the innocent few.

The problem with giving offenders a 10 year ban or possibly a life ban be it 1st offence or 2nd offence is you are then giving that person no hope for the future and rehabilitation. The person is highly likely to drive while disqualified and when caught, just accept it as a hazard, you can then send him to prison for life too and it might stop some offenders but not all. We will then have our prisons all full of drivers who have driven while disqualified and there will be no room for the murderers, rapist, child abusers, burglers etc etc.

Even most convicts in prison have a release date to look forward to, the ones who don't have nothing to lose and can murder again in prison, what have they got to lose? The prison system would be full of riots if drink drivers were jailed for life with no hope of release. If they are banned for life, what hope have they got of ever driving again? None, so I am sure many of them would drive while disqualified. Do you guys suggest we consider cutting their hands off too, that might stop them driving again. yes that is a good idea, lets hang all convicted murderers, rapists etc even tho history has proven we often hung innocent people. Then lets cut the hands off drunken drivers who drive while disqualified, it will be cheaper than sending them to prison for life and if it is eventually proven that they were innocent perhaps we can sew some new hands on the innocent few.

Again I completely disagree with you.

Most of what you typed is again utter rubbish, going off into yet another weird trip so I wont even bother to reply to the nonsense parts.

Driving is a priviledge not a right and if you have proved yourself a risk to the saftey of others for a 3rd time why should you continue to have that priviledge?

Why should the courts continue to allow habitual drink driver on the road when they risk the saftey of others?

How does a 10 year ban give someone no hope for the future? 10 years is not life it is 10 years and that is your punishment for breaking the law.

If someone decides to drive whilst on a ban then they should be punished by a prison sentence.

If they are banned for life what hope do they have?

You do realise that someone banned for drink driving is NOT the victim

Why are you so pro drink driving?

Do you consider drink driving a crime?

What sentences do you think would be appropriate?

Again I completely disagree with you.

Most of what you typed is again utter rubbish, going off into yet another weird trip so I wont even bother to reply to the nonsense parts.

Driving is a priviledge not a right and if you have proved yourself a risk to the saftey of others for a 3rd time why should you continue to have that priviledge?

Why should the courts continue to allow habitual drink driver on the road when they risk the saftey of others?

How does a 10 year ban give someone no hope for the future? 10 years is not life it is 10 years and that is your punishment for breaking the law.

If someone decides to drive whilst on a ban then they should be punished by a prison sentence.

If they are banned for life what hope do they have?

You do realise that someone banned for drink driving is NOT the victim

Why are you so pro drink driving?

Do you consider drink driving a crime?

What sentences do you think would be appropriate?

You have given your opinion, I have given mine. I believe at present, Parliament agree's with me. There is an appeals option open to the defendant and the cps which it also appears you do not agree with.

I have no problem with the current drink drive laws. I am NOT Pro ​drink driving and nor am I pro drug driving.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off