Applying for provisional again after ban 13 years ago.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Martha

Hi all,

I got convicted of drink driving in 2004 and my ban ended in 2006. I’ve only ever had a provisional license. I’m classed as high risk offender due to my alcohol levels at the time. Was a stupid mistake to make and I’ve regretted it for years :( I’m now looking to get my license. Can anyone guide me in the right direction as to what my next steps would be and how my ban will affect me. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

You need to get a D1 form from the post office (just ask for an application for a driving licence) fill it in, together with a photo because your old one will have expired.
Send it off with the correct fee of £90 to DVLA. They will then contact you with details of a doctor in your area who carries out medical on their behalf.. you have 6 weeks from the date on the letter to make an appointment and get the medical done. You have to pay for the medical, which is likely to be in the order of £96.
DVLA will consider the result of the medical and decide if you should be granted your provisional licence.
Because you were convicted before 2013 you can ask DVLA for a letter of authority to drive pending the outcome of the medical. This counts in place of your driving licence to show the Police if you are stopped, but it may be questionable about if a driving instructor will allow you to have lessons with them on that basis. The authority to drive option was discontinued for anyone convicted more than 5 years ago, so it is rare for one to be seen now.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off