applying for pcv licence after d/d

Convicted Driver Insurance

krichie

It is now nine years and eleven months since I was caught twice in the same night of the same drink. I was taken to the police station after failing a roadside breath test (this was about 11-30 in the night) I was kept there all night until about 7 or maybe 7-30 in the morning where I was given back my property including car keys and told I was ok to go. I walked back to my car where it had been left on double yellow lines by the police the night before I got in the car to move it from that position (thinking that I was ok after all the police had not told me not to drive and that I was ok), anyway within a hundred yards there was a blue light behind me stopped and breath tested again another fail. Banned for three years and had to go for a medical to get my car licence back. What I want to know is how do I stand with getting my pcv back. Would much appreciate some help with this and would like to say thank you in advance. Good luck to anyone who finds themselves in a d/d problem and hope things work out well for you. Regards from Keith.

The circumstances were unfortunate for you, but perhaps this highlights the difference between being fit to be dealt with (which is the judgement of the police as to when you are sober enough to understand that you are being charged with an offence and that your bail is a legal responsibility that you must understand) and being. Fit to drive, where the criteria is the 35mcg legal limit set in law.
As to your question about your PCV licence, you need to submit an application to DVLA to get your licence back. This is done via a form D1, available at main Post Offices. The fee is £90 as you are a High Risk Offender.
2 things then happen,
1: DVLA write to you, giving you details of approved doctors in your area and you chose one of them to book a medical with. They will want a fee of about £95 to carry this out. Based on the result of this, they will decide if you should have your 'ordinary' licence back.
2: DVLA inform your local Traffic Commissioner that, as a PCV licence holder, you have been banned for drink driving and want your licence back. The traffic commissioner will make his / her mind up if you should get the TCV element back. This depends on previous convictions, if you were driving a PCV when arrested (always bad news!) and the length of the ban. For a 3 year ban, you may find that the PCV element is withheld for a few months, as an extra sanction, and then returned to you. The Commissioner will want you to appear before him, best to look smart and sound remorseful! (assuming that you are)

Thank you Price 1367 for your answer. There are a couple of points that I failed to make clear, I have had my car licence back now for about 7 years after having to have a medical and there has been no problems since. What I need to know is what procedure I have to go through in order to get the pcv part of my licence back and what expense as any monies it takes will have to be borrowed. Thank you again for your time. Hope to hear from you soon or anyone else that may know the answers.

Thank you Price 1367 for your answer. There are a couple of points that I failed to make clear, I have had my car licence back now for about 7 years after having to have a medical and there has been no problems since. What I need to know is what procedure I have to go through in order to get the pcv part of my licence back and what expense as any monies it takes will have to be borrowed. Thank you again for your time. Hope to hear from you soon or anyone else that may know the answers.

I would suggest you contact the traffic commissioners who will be able to answer your queries and advise you how to proceed. You can contact them on 0300 123 9000. You can find out more about the traffic commissioners here.

You are welcome, krichie,
follow this link:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/order_forms.aspx
and select D2. They will send you the form that you need to apply for your PCV licence.
The return of PCV is normally dealt with at the same time as the restoration of your car licence, but DVLA refer you to the Traffic Commissioner for them to consider the PCV, of HGV, element. The current fee for this is £65, (£90 for high risk offenders) but I am not sure if this will be charged again as you already have your car licence back.
It may be that there was a mix up over the traffic commissioners being informed about your original application, or they wrote to you about it and the letter did not arrive.
After a 3 year ban, the traffic commissioner normally wants you to appear before him in a hearing to decide if further sanctions should be imposed. This can mean a few months extra before the PCV / HGV driving entitlement is restored, but as you have had your car licence back for 7 years, you may get a letter saying: "this is not what we expect from professional drivers....." and your PCV licence back. There is not a fee for this, as far as I am aware.
You will then have to deal with driver CPC training, which requires all professional drivers to complete 35 hours of classroom based education by 10th september 2014

Krichie,
While I was doing the above, as usual, the. Mod has put his advice here better, and in fewer words!

thank you again for your advice/help. I am going to get in touch with the traffic commissioner to see what they have to say. Regards Keith.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off