Applying for license 14 years after conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

Wythrol

Thanks for providing this service, I hope that it provides me with the initial pointers that I need to regain my driving license.

History :
In December 1995 I was disqualified from driving for the second time (DD). To the best of my recollection I was instructed to resit a competency test and a medical. At the time I was disqualified for 4 years for driving under the influence, and 4 years for dangerous driving, both to run concurrently. I was also sentenced to 200 hours of community service that was completed and signed off as being satisfied.

I now need to regain a driving license as a result of a recent bereavement. I now need to travel 3.5 hrs on a train each way to take care of winding up an estate and prepare the property for sale.

What process is necessary? I have never received notification from DVLA of the end of my ban, not a word.

There is also a slight mistake in the spelling of my documentation on my original driving license.

If I apply for my licenses as renewing after a disqualification, what endorsements exit on the document?

I think I am beyond the 11 year limit, If I reapply will my documents retain 1995 endorsements?

Pointers would be helpful. Convictions were under Scots Law, so general pointers as opposed to specific advice are acceptable.

Under English and Welsh law if you are convicted of dangerous driving then there is a mandatory extended restest that must be passed at the end of the period of disqualification. You remain disqualified until the extended retest has been passed. Once you have passed you apply for a new driving licence from the DVLA in the usual way. Any new licence granted after the 11 years has passed should not include any reference to the drink driving conviction.

You are advised to check the position with a Scots law lawyer as we are only able to provide advice in relation to offences committed in England and Wales. Scotland has a different legal jurisdiction so I am unable to offer specific advice in relation to your query.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off