Applying for Driving licence and HRO Medical advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

blueyonder76

Well Known Member
Hi

I fall under the HRO category following a second ban within in 10 years in 2016 following a relationship breakdown and loss of home and step sons, as well as my partner. I completed the TCC course and my ban was reduced to 3 years. After a year of free lancing following the ban I decided to undertake an MA in Town Planning and re -train so when I could re apply for my licence a) I couldn't afford it and b) didn't need one. I was in the process in reapplying for my licence in May but due to COVID-19 there are significant delays. I am therefore reluctant to send a D20 application in just yet as it may get lost. Am I better to hang fire for another month?

Also my 10 year photo expired on my licence I am assuming however this will not be an issue as I am sending a new photo with my application. ? I was told my actual

licence lasts a lifetime. Well up to 70 anyway before it can be revoked for medical reasons i.e eyesight etc.

For the last 2 months I have reduced my drinking greatly wanting to gain my licence back and infact since the ban. However I did have several drinks on Wednesday and unfortunately tripped walking the dog on a flag stone and gave myself a black eye. Stupid I know. I ended up going to A&E to get it checked out, and was not visibly drunk but my CDT levels came up as high and I'd been drinking heavily following a blood test. All that it was not pushed it was advised I go back to my GP and get a second test next week. However I am concerned this will hinder the chance to get my licence back and will go on my medical record causing a blip and going back to my old career. Any advice would be welcome.

Also does anyone know how long DVLA estimates processing applications and will it reflect badly I have not thought to apply till now? My conviction will be spent in Feb 2020. I really don't further delays with DVLA. At the moment however I can't get through to the contact centre at all

Many thanks

Bluyonder76

Also if I haven't driven for years and I am not required to re-take my test I am assuming the DVLA can not enforce this as the prosecuting court didn't specify this.

You will not have to retake your test (unless you are in Northern Ireland?).
You submit a photo with your application.
It is quite likely that the details of your visit to A and E, including any comments on intoxication, will be sent to your GP.
You say your CDT result was high at hospital? That would be an unusual test for them to carry out in Casualty after a fall as it does not measure the level of intoxication but Indicated alcohol excesses over a period of time, NOT that day.......

That's what I thought - just taking your bloods doesn't normally get that result ! He said my Liver enzymes showed a high level what ever that means ? But based on one day this seems weird

Also I'm not sure based on one account this test would be done ? And why would they carry this CDT test out from a simple blood test. ? This surely is not a normal exercise and I find rather alarming. Could this mean I need to send a monthly bloods to my GP to prove I have not been drinking ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What I don't understand is why you would carry out a liver CDT test over a fall, based on a period of time and not that day? 'He's exact words were make sure you go for a liver CDT test shortly to check your enzymes' . As you can imagine rather worrying.

Last edited:
why so. They took my blood and that's what he said - very odd I will contact my GP and check my records as I don't think this accurate at all !

It is strange...... enzymes are to do with a Liver Function Test, but CDT is NOT normally associated with enzymes, (although technically enzyme related) although both relate to tests for how your liver is functioning. Neither of them are relevant to a one off intoxication. Maybe you should check to see what they tested for. Although either test would indicate that they did not think you had just had a few drinks as a one off and stumbled.......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off