Applying for class 2 and class 1 with DR20 and DR30 3 years ago

Convicted Driver Insurance

Tonies

Hi all,

Hope all is well with you all.

I have been working in the security industry with a very low living wage for the last few years with long hours (Over 16 hour working shifts at times for a while now as well) and now have decided to get my Class 2 and then a Class 1 straight after as missus is expecting a baby also and need more money but have some questions even though I have read some posts here and google and training provider websites but still need help. Please forgive me for the noob questions or if they have been answered before, I am sorry in advance.

A little bit about my personal situation, in early 2016 I have had a DR20: Driving or attempting to drive while unfit through drink and a DR30: Driving or attempting to drive then failing to supply a specimen for analysis. I do not want to get into the details and defend myself here but basically, I was not actually driving nor attempted to drive but that is another story. I had gone through a tag for several months to ensure I was not drinking etc., did community service, paid a fine and did a course to reduce it by 6 months. You are free to criticize me anyhow you want but if you could, please also try to answer my questions below too, if you can.

I have had my license back for nearly a year now with no other issues and now have a D2 form in front of me and confused about some sections of the form, here are my questions about the form and queries about obtaining a license to drive lorries of the Classes mentioned:

1) In Section 1 - What are you applying for

a) I want to apply for a Class 2 and also a Class 1 as I want to do it consecutively to improve my chances of work, which boxes do I tick exactly in the part of "First provisional entitlement"?

b) Do I need to tick any boxes in the part of "Additional provisional entitlement" also?

2) In Section 2 - Your conduct

a) Do I need to disclose the unspent convictions from 2016 I have highlighted in point 1? As far as aware they stay unspent for 5 years and on DVLA for 11 years.

3) Depending on your view to point 2 and due to the nature of my convictions, is there any point applying for this license or I should not even bother wasting my time and try another field?

4) Once I have my license potentially, how will I acquire insurance with a company? What is the basic insurance process for CLass 2 and Class 1 drivers at agencies or Companies?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice and your answers to the above.

All the best.

Will answer question 3 from an opinion only,

Despite the lack of current HGV drivers adding to a National shortage! Many haulage companies have been scrapping the continent for foreign drivers with much success including reduced wages ! Add that to Taco restrictions often does not pay as well as previous
However in the right field of haulage Chemical petroleum etc it's very lucrative,

It's highly unlikely an employer would consider someone with nul experience and carrying a DD conviction for said postst's
But not impossible local environment private company pays decent has all types of licenced jobs pays over 15pnds an hour and employs just about anyone so might be worth a try atleast only class 2 to begin

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed this post when it was made.
Belew is the best explanation I have seen on the path to getting a full licence to drive all types of vehicles. You will see that it is sequential, so you have to complete each stage before you can move upwards.
You can only get a provisional licence for the next category up, you can’t ask for a provisional initially for C1 AND C2

I agree with Craig121. It will be difficult to find work with the Drink drive conviction (which you would have to declare) and no experience.

Try asking a couple of haulage companies about your prospects. Don’t rely on a Dirver Training Organisation for advice,they will promise you everything will be fine, just to get you to sign up for a driving course!
The insurance is not an issue unless you are thinking about being an owner driver. If companies are willing to employ you to drive one of their lorries then they have the insurance for you to drive it. Again if you are supplied through an agency (but most of them can only supply drivers with a clean driving licence) then the company they are referring you to will have the insurance needed.

Thank you craig121 and price1367 for your replies and apologize for the late response.

I have decided to not go through with this as from the sounds of it, it will potentially be a big waste of money and time due to my personal situation.

I am currently looking at other career options which are quite limited due to my convictions. I now feel like a convict who has come out of prison, and my opportunities have been reduced next to nothing. Governmental policies in place and so-called rehabilitation services are buggered and certain extent, inoperable, and even though they expect you to get back to work and contribute to society and be a law-abiding citizen after certain types of convictions, they do not make it a simple process by applying a criminal stigma to your name for potential employers to see. It is like being branded with caution on your forehead for other people to see. I can go on and on about this and sorry for having a rant as it is unfair in certain circumstances, by limiting an individual due to past mistakes, etc to earn a living and survive or start a new career. Especially when no other past issues after 15 years of driving and neither a single point on their license.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide the requested information, take care.

Essentially any job that doesn't involve driving or a criminal records check is open to you. That is a lot of jobs.

It may not feel that way but we are all limited to certain careers. I couldn't sell to save my life, hence I am limited to jobs that don't involve selling or being on The Apprentice. It isn't really a limitation. Just focus on your strengths.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off