Application for early return of licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

ibble

Hi

I believe I have a strong case for an early return of licence so will be making an application in the next couple of months. I know I need to submit a covering letter and any supporting documentation. My question is whether it is best to have a solicitor make your case on the day in court or to do it yourself? What are people's thoughts/experiences?

Thanks
Ibble

You do not HAVE to use a solicitor.
I used to advise that it was better to use one but I the past 2-3 years I have seen more people making their own application and being successful.
You say you have a strong case..... the best case it where there is a benefit for others. If you simply say “this is really hard on ME” then the court might think “good, it is supposed to be....”
If your case is that it is causing others hardship, or that others will benefit by you getting your licence back (such as creating new jobs) then you are more likely to succeed.
The courts vary as to when the application can be made. Some allow you to apply before the 50% / 2 year minimum time frame has elapsed, with the hearing being listed on the relevant date or shortly afterwards. Some will not allow the application to be submitted until the minimum time is up and then the hearing is not for weeks or a couple of months later.

Remember that if you are a High Risk Offender then you will still not be able to drive, if you are successful, until you have completed the DVLA medical process.

Thanks for this. My main concern is that it might hurt my case to have a solicitor present it. I might be seen to be "lawyering up". It's just that I'm really uncomfortable with public speaking.

This is a technical application and you would now be looked at badly by having a solicitor to present the facts for you.

I had a solicitor represent me in court. The format was that they went through the evidence pack I had provided asking me questions, the answers to which I directed to the magistrates. After about 15 minutes of this, they went into a huddle and granted my application. So just the DVLA holding things up now.

Update. The DVLA are writing to my GP before sending me for a medical. Spoke to their helpdesk and they said that sometimes things happen in this order. No particular logic to it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off