Application for driving license refused due to detox- what to do now?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Earthgirl

Hello, I'm trying to help my dad and really don't know how. I'd really appreciate any help.

He had a detox in hospital in July 2021 after falling and hitting his head. We had no idea he was drinking. He has abstained totally since then.

He got a letter dated 29 March to say his application for driving licence was refused as the DVLA had received information about the detox and that this is a sign of alcohol dependency.

They can reconsider an application after a period of abstinence of 12 months, but he can start his application within 8 weeks of the end of the period.

He has spoken to his doctor who hadn't been contacted by the DVLA, (neither had my dad) the doctor had no idea about the issue ( didn't even have any info from the hospital about the detox) . The doctor would support my dad getting his license back.

I guess that there is no point appealing as the detox is equal to alcohol dependency in the eyes of the DVLA?

I think we have to fill out a D1 form. Can we do this 8 weeks before the 12 month anniversary of date of the detox? How do we find out what dates the DVLA are working to?

What box do we tick on the d1 form?

The one for alcohol dependency needs to be ticked, but what is the "reason for the application" on the right hand side of the form?do we just tick renewal as this is what he was trying to do?

Would it benefit my dad to put a supporting letter in from his doctor to confirm abstainsnce, what about a test should we do that and send in the results with the application or will it not make a difference?

Will my dad have to redo his theory and practical driving test?

Thanks so much for any help and advice!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off