Another, caught & waiting to be banned

Convicted Driver Insurance

uk80

I'm glad I found this forum, as it's shown me that I'm not the only idiot! Don't seem to be able to make bullet points, but-

-No previous convictions or points (over a decade no claims...) etc. Have probably driven over the limit before (morning after etc.) but never driven ‘drunk’ until this
-Accident- went over verge on bend and got stuck in mud, damaged a lamp post
-Middle of the night, no passengers, no other vehicles involved, no houses nearby etc. own vehicle needed a minor repair so didn't bother claiming on insurance
-Left to get help to leave car somewhere safe where it wouldn't get nicked, and returned (didn't intend on driving myself at this point by the way)
-Police were there to greet me (maybe they thought it had been stolen)
-Held my hands up to the situation and admitted driving (I wasn't in the vehicle but had the keys)
-Breathalysed at the station at 92. They didn't have a breathalyser at the roadside
-Was interviewed but declined a solicitor as I was told I'd have to wait (possibly hours) for a solicitor and I just wanted to get it over with
-Admitted driving, now realise that I was only interviewed because they didn't have any evidence that I had driven but I had also admitted to the arresting officer that I’d driven

Charged with driving while being over the prescribed limit (breath 92) and nothing else mentioned on charge sheet.

Previous court date cancelled due to coronavirus and don't have a new one yet.

I have got a number of good references, and whether or not it makes a difference re. damage limitation I have appointed a solicitor (even though it's just to plead guilty). I was under the impression it might look like I'm taking it more seriously if I've got a solicitor, & I am taking it very seriously!

After being charged, I ended up not being able to work for a few weeks (couldn't sleep, couldn't eat or concentrate etc.). When I pulled myself together to go back to work is when the whole coronavirus situation unfolded.
When the lockdown is lifted and courts resume, and I start my ban, I won't be able to go back to work as I need to drive between work sites and call outs...

I used to drink regularly in my 20s (though no more than many others), but the past 3-4 years has been very infrequent. Never drink in the house and no longer go to the pub 'out of habit' (the night in question was a bit of a family celebration- that went awry).
However, I understand that at reading 92 I'll be a high risk offender and require a medical to get my licence back.
I had a general 'check up' around 4 years ago which I requested after travelling with two people who ended up with quite serious health issues shortly afterwards and at the same time (these later turned out to be unrelated coincidences).
I had bloods taken at this checkup, and was told I was fine except for abnormal LFT in bloods results. I believe I went back a further two or three times (with 3 month gaps) for further blood and was told in a letter that the readings were still abnormal and to go back again- I believe I cancelled the last appointment as I didn't feel unwell and I had stopped drinking all together as a bit of a precaution, and they didn't contact me regarding this again. Note- Drs never questioned alcohol intake etc with regards to bloods. Never been to the Drs for anything else. However, if I had records of abnormal LFT results in 2016-17 will this have a bearing on getting my licence back after this ban?

On the subject of insurances.
If whoever owns the damaged lamp post makes a claim, will I lose (protected) NCB. I have told the insurance company of the incident, in case it came back to bite me later. The insurance company wouldn't answer any 'what if' questions without a court result.
If nobody makes a claim against me, and I cancel the insurance policy on being banned, will I retain the NCB I had up to my last renewal?
The insurance company said they will wait 'about 6 months' for someone to make a claim before it is just left as an 'incident' on my insurance record.
I have put a number of scenarios into the price comparison sites. It appears that as long as I retain some NCB, prices I'm being quoted dont really go up much at all (this is by pretending I've just came out of a 23 month ban DR10). I understand that NCB would go to 0 if I was uninsured for 2 or more years.
If I don't have any NCB after my ban, my insurance goes up 2.5 to 3x to a rather significant sum..

Does anyone have an opinion on
-Likely ban length
-Likely fine amount
-Community order.. given the current situation?
-Where I might stand with insurance NCB etc

With this, and the coronavirus pandemic, it seems everythings come at once!
A pending visit to court is a shitty thing to have hanging over you but it could have been much worse so I’m grateful it wasn’t (& I know someone who’s been inside for 'death by'..) but here's looking forward to better times!

With a reading in breath of 90-112 you find yourself in the third sentencing bracket, this bracket is a 23-28 month ban and imposes a low-high level community order. Your court case more than likely won't take place until after restrictions are lifted, once restrictions are lifted you will be able to complete a community order.

With your crash as an agrivating factor you will more than likely find yourself at the higher end of the 23-28 month guideline. As you are not allowed to hold insurance without a valid UK licence you must cancel your insurance as soon as you are banned, NCB's are only valid from 2 years from the date of cancellation, if your ban is 24 months or over your NCB will be lost.

20200421_154603.jpg

There are a few insurance companies that will honour your no claims discount for 3 years, but they are not easy to find. Best bet for that is to contact an old fashioned Insurance ‘Broker’, (they do exist, even though most people just go to a comparison website) give them your circumstances and they will do a search for you.
Grice96 is correct with his guidance on your likely sentence for your reading and RTC.

There are a few insurance companies that will honour your no claims discount for 3 years, but they are not easy to find. Best bet for that is to contact an old fashioned Insurance ‘Broker’, (they do exist, even though most people just go to a comparison website) give them your circumstances and they will do a search for you.
Grice96 is correct with his guidance on your likely sentence for your reading and RTC.

Also a consideration that I forgot to mention, make sure to ask for the drink driving awareness course in court. The 25% reduction in your ban would take a 28 month ban down to around 21 months meaning your NCB will still be valid.

I see.
For the 23-28 month bracket I will unfortunately lose my business. I can probably scrape by if it was about 18 months.
Will the aggrevating factor of damaging a few hundred quid worth of lamp post after a moment of madness not be mitigated by previously clean licence, no convictions, nobody else involved, nobody hurt, guilty plea etc?

I've kicked myself over the mistake, but it now appears the punishment would probably entail
-Waiting months to go to court
-Unable to drive for over two years
-Loss of business i've built up over more than 10 years
-Probably have to move / sell house
-Have trousers pulled down by all manner of insurance companies for years
-Possibly litter picking with the shoplifters and drugdealers, after being in the paper

Might as well take up drug dealing and shoplifting when the town centre reopens and just be scum! At least I'll know my competiton.

"28 month ban down to around 21 months meaning your NCB will still be valid. "
At least thats one positive, thanks for your input both of you

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off