An alcoholic taxi driver

Convicted Driver Insurance

janielee

Starting my early shift - I got up at 6 am started work at 7 am . It was near xmas so police was everywhere.
I wasnt even in the car though when I got approached by police they were at my local council offices doing breathelizers and being a TAXI DRIVER I was inside the building waiting to pick up. So in front of loads a people I was arrested because I got drunk the night before. I only blew 39 !
I lost my job there n then which I'd loved n been doing for years, I lost my taxi (my mode of transport), my income , independence and self respect! I was banned from looking after my little niece too because narrow minds branding me a piss head !!
I was banned for 12 month but I did the rehabilitation course so it got knocked down to 9 month. That was 2 years ago now.
Ive had my moments since the ban with alcohol though just to prove people right! It's all under control now I detoxed .
because of having a dr10 and being an alcoholic it will be a long time before I'm back behind the wheel

Starting my early shift - I got up at 6 am started work at 7 am . It was near xmas so police was everywhere.
I wasnt even in the car though when I got approached by police they were at my local council offices doing breathelizers and being a TAXI DRIVER I was inside the building waiting to pick up. So in front of loads a people I was arrested because I got drunk the night before. I only blew 39 !
I lost my job there n then which I'd loved n been doing for years, I lost my taxi (my mode of transport), my income , independence and self respect! I was banned from looking after my little niece too because narrow minds branding me a piss head !!
I was banned for 12 month but I did the rehabilitation course so it got knocked down to 9 month. That was 2 years ago now.
Ive had my moments since the ban with alcohol though just to prove people right! It's all under control now I detoxed .
because of having a dr10 and being an alcoholic it will be a long time before I'm back behind the wheel
Sorry I don’t understand the reason for your post?

Where did you blow 39? Assuming Scotland as if it was at an English police station, you'd not be charged.

That said, you were lucky to get off with the minimum ban as magistrates often, quite rightly, throw the book at professional drivers.

I just seen the heading 'Have you been affected by drinking and driving' and I have so i thought I'd give it go.
It was 46 I blew I dont know why I had 39 on my mind .
And yea I agree professional driver should know better. Ya ain't got to be a pro to get a taxi badge s

Where did you blow 39? Assuming Scotland as if it was at an English police station, you'd not be charged.

That said, you were lucky to get off with the minimum ban as magistrates often, quite rightly, throw the book at professional drivers.
Hi James, Im not sure I agree with the “quite rightly” comment with regard’s professional drivers. I’ve spoken on this subject many times, and of course I agree that we are all individuals and as such will have differing views. So I’m not saying your view is wrong, how could I, it’s your opinion.
Very often though, drinking alcohol isn’t the defining issue. More often people find themselves in difficult periods of their lives. Maybe even suffering from severe physical or mental problems, or both. Bereavements, bankruptcies, Anxieties etc etc the list goes on. There could be a number of reasons a person is pushed towards alcohol misuse, abuse, dependency or becoming alcoholic. The alcohol, quite often goes hand in hand with reckless behaviour. However, and this is the important bit, the alcohol and reckless behaviour are not causal, they are symptoms of the bigger picture. They are the lowest denominator of the underlying issues. No I’ve known many people, high up in the military, Doctors, HGV drivers etc. They have all fallen foul of Mental Illness etc etc. And wrongly found alcohol to be their saviour. With varying consequences. I’m not sure, that being a doctor or a solicitor or a magistrate even or an hgv driver, that we deserve to be punished harder than others purely because of a job title. We are all human and fallible. Again, this is just my opinion.

Coostie’s mental illness remark above is spot on.

You’ve only got to lurk around here a few days to notice the remorse, the sorrow, the grief etc., but moreso the underlying anguish many on here were suffering before they even took to the wheel when they shouldn’t have.

There’s no two ways about it. Drink driving is deplorable. I committed a deplorable act, and was rightly punished for that. I had my excuses; they weren’t reasons. People better at dealing with emotional hell better than me choose not to drink drive. I’m a tw@t; I should have done it.

But as crimes go, I can’t think of another where the commonality versus potential impact curve rises quite so steeply. This, when most people who have ever looked down their noses at me have been guilty themselves. Especially the morning after, whereby I estimate 99% of drinkers have unwittingly done just that at some point in their lives. Yet they see themselves as better than us for having had the fortune not to be caught. So by the same token, I don’t see how my misjudgement is worse than that of a professional driver, when the consequence can be equal.

Coostie’s mental illness remark above is spot on.

You’ve only got to lurk around here a few days to notice the remorse, the sorrow, the grief etc., but moreso the underlying anguish many on here were suffering before they even took to the wheel when they shouldn’t have.

There’s no two ways about it. Drink driving is deplorable. I committed a deplorable act, and was rightly punished for that. I had my excuses; they weren’t reasons. People better at dealing with emotional hell better than me choose not to drink drive. I’m a tw@t; I should have done it.

But as crimes go, I can’t think of another where the commonality versus potential impact curve rises quite so steeply. This, when most people who have ever looked down their noses at me have been guilty themselves. Especially the morning after, whereby I estimate 99% of drinkers have unwittingly done just that at some point in their lives. Yet they see themselves as better than us for having had the fortune not to be caught. So by the same token, I don’t see how my misjudgement is worse than that of a professional driver, when the consequence can be equal.
Bravo

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off