All HRO's please read this - Dont get caught out

Convicted Driver Insurance
Rufus, it’s a subject access request (SAR), it’s free, and you don’t need to give a reason for the request (only a nosy receptionist might ask, even though they are not supposed to). You can also make a request to dvla to find out what they have on you.

The secretary of state owns your medical record, not you, so you cannot change anything, but you can request a statement of your views to be put on an entry if you disagree with something on your record. I’ve had some put on my record, but any gp that sees it now will be thinking “hmmm, this one is a troublesome alky” and will view anything I say in that context.

The standard smoking/drinking questions are part of their gp contract, and I believe they get £5 for each form filled. Then Public health England take this info, make a lovely graph, and issue a scare story about the nations health, adding to the bullshit.

Now that I have my full licence back, if I ever see a gp again, I will not be answering anything not connected to the problem I went in for, secretly record the session, and insist (politely) on seeing what has been written in the record before I leave, and make a SAR request when I am finished if I think I need to, just so I can nip any bullshit in the bud.

Trust? Nah, that died when I lost my licence just on a gp's say so.

I know but those are the gov guidelines. We have been caught so MUST prove we won't do it again and we can control our drinking as we are a greater risk than the rest of the population

Rufus, it’s a subject access request (SAR), it’s free, and you don’t need to give a reason for the request (only a nosy receptionist might ask, even though they are not supposed to). You can also make a request to dvla to find out what they have on you.

The secretary of state owns your medical record, not you, so you cannot change anything, but you can request a statement of your views to be put on an entry if you disagree with something on your record. I’ve had some put on my record, but any gp that sees it now will be thinking “hmmm, this one is a troublesome alky” and will view anything I say in that context.

The standard smoking/drinking questions are part of their gp contract, and I believe they get £5 for each form filled. Then Public health England take this info, make a lovely graph, and issue a scare story about the nations health, adding to the bullshit.

Now that I have my full licence back, if I ever see a gp again, I will not be answering anything not connected to the problem I went in for, secretly record the session, and insist (politely) on seeing what has been written in the record before I leave, and make a SAR request when I am finished if I think I need to, just so I can nip any bullshit in the bud.

Trust? Nah, that died when I lost my licence just on a gp's say so.
Does the SAR need a form our can u just request it over the phone ?

Just a brief letter: "I am making a subject access request for all information held about me blah blah", and some way to identify you, like name, address, dob, NHS id number or driver number/case number for dvla. May have to search for the correct address for dvla department, cant remember it right now. There are certain rules they have to abide by, a quick search for Subject access requests will bring up more info than you need, the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) is probably the best bet.

I'm not a HRO, and I got my licence back in 1995. However, I did go to the doctor when I had heart palpitations caused by stress two and a half years ago, during which they asked me about my alcohol consumption. I told them I drank too much sometimes to relieve stress. Although it never exceeded 40 or so units a week (about half that now), they offered to refer me to some sort of addiction service. I didn't take this offer up (just as well by the sounds of it). I certainly will not be volunteering this information to the DVLA.

I told them I drank too much sometimes to relieve stress. Although it never exceeded 40 or so units a week (about half that now), they offered to refer me to some sort of addiction service.

I would check your medical history as he probably made a note of this on your medical record - I have been doing a little research on subject access request to your GP and its nigh on impossible to have a note/comment/opinion that the GP has written on your records totally removed / erased regardless if is incorrect or even just their opinion not backed by any fact the best you can do is have it struck through but it will always remain to influence others even if you change GPs

The more I look into our Gov services the more it resembles Nazi germany

Hey Guys,

My ban is up on the 12/02/19

I’m filling out the form and posting off next week. Query about this 3 years of medical history. I’ve never sought help or treatment for alcohol dependency/misuse as I knew I was just going through a rough patch, but it was mentioned 2.5/3 years ago that I was drinking more than usual, in a consultation after my ban had happened.

Is this something that I should be answering yes to on that part of the questionnaire? I’ve not been to a doctor for alcohol help, nor a hospital. So it’s true to answer no.

But if they dig around, could it be construed otherwise? Because I mentioned it once?

Thanks all

Last edited:
Oh bugger, that's a tough one. Personally, in my limited experience of only being royally butt f***** once by a gp, and then again by dvla, I would say no.
You haven't sought any help for alcohol issues, but I would also approach the gp you spoke to if you can, just in case dvla send an enquiry to them, and ask them to deal with it personally. It would be better to know what is on your medical record, so ask the gp to show you the entry on that date, talk about it, and make sure to say you don't have issues, never had any issues, and don't drink much (under 14 units) these days. Just say to the doc you've been on a drink drive forum and all these bitter and cynical alleged alky's have got you worried. That should do it. I will email you my bank account number shortly. If it doesn't work, you never saw me!

Oh bugger, that's a tough one. Personally, in my limited experience of only being royally butt f***** once by a gp, and then again by dvla, I would say no.
You haven't sought any help for alcohol issues, but I would also approach the gp you spoke to if you can, just in case dvla send an enquiry to them, and ask them to deal with it personally. It would be better to know what is on your medical record, so ask the gp to show you the entry on that date, talk about it, and make sure to say you don't have issues, never had any issues, and don't drink much (under 14 units) these days. Just say to the doc you've been on a drink drive forum and all these bitter and cynical alleged alky's have got you worried. That should do it. I will email you my bank account number shortly. If it doesn't work, you never saw me!

Thanks buddy. I re-read the questionnaire and interpret the question as “have you specifically sought ought help for alcohol related problems” - which I haven’t.

My GP would back that up I’m certain.

Thanks again. Hopefully this whole episode will be over soon.

it will also ask have you misused or been dependant in the last 3 years and has a GP ever asked you your reduce your drinking personally I would say no but check on your GP records and if there is a reference ask them to note that this was a one off and you have no problems before or since.

I guess the misuse part is the area I find challenging to really define. I suppose it’s all down to drinking more than the government guide lines.

Anyway, it’s not for me to have any leg to stand on here. I’ll just wait and see what happens.

CDT should be fine, apart from Christmas indulgences, I haven’t drank since, nor will I. And, given the timelines mentioned by most of you, I’ll probably be waiting another month or so before a medical, so any raises in levels from Christmas ought to have subsided (not that they ought to have raised from a couple of days of Christmas drinks anyway).

Thanks everyone for your kind replies :)

you will have 6 weeks from the date of the letter they send to arrange an appointment with a GP of THEIR choice, if you cant get in to see them thn ring the DVLA to get an appointment at another. Please bear in mind the 6 weeks is from when they send their letter not from when you get it - mine took 2 weeks to get to me so only left me 4 weeks to arrange and ring the GP straight away dont worry about leaving it 3 days as they advise as it will have took at least a week before it gets to you.

please go to your GP and look at your medical records as anything on your record will need to be clarified by them - I have got another 12 months on my ban because of something my GP wrote and didnt clarify

Thanks for all the advice rufus and sorry the read you got another 12 months.

I’ll keep you all updated. Will be sending the application off on Monday/Tuesday

I have just opened a letter from the DVLA and its my subject to access request of the evidence that they have regarding revoking my license

It transpires that its my GP supplied info that was used on a DR2 form where they have indicated

I have had persistent alcohol misuse in the last 3 years,
that it has been controlled but only for 2 months controlled drinking which is utter bollocks - the 2 months is when I went to my GP to get a LFT done to help prove that I had been controlling my drinking for some time.

He has also put that I have required help or treatment (no time line given by DVLA) - I have never required help/treatment, I choose to seek help of my own volition in 2016 and Informed my GP of this (wish I didnt bother )

Also asks about being advised to reduce drinking - to which he has put a number of occasions - which they automatically do if your even slightly above the gov guidelines - last instance was 2017

I will now have to discuss this with my GP but he have now gone on holiday for 2 weeks

I have had a instant 3 year ban (twice in 10 years), plus attend alcohol course for 6 months (once week). I refused to give roadside sample, i have been offered course 25% doing it 01/08/15 March. So this will bring my ban end to Sept 1 2019 (was 01 June 2020).

I just looked at the DR1 form and it asks - 1a. Withing the last 3 years -Been dependant or misused alcohol ?

Do i HAVE to answer YES?

I can't recall the last time i seen my Dr regarding alcohol related things (i did in 2009 when i was suffering/self medicating) but i have since been on meds for Bipolar and steady since, i ONLY have to see my GP when my repeat runs out ( think that is yearly as my Pharmacist rang me other day to state it)...

What do i put on the form as there is nothing on my Dr's records, but i refused sample etc....Confused and scared now.

It seems that anyone who had a 3 year ban then a reduction would be in the same scenario.....

Anyone confirm, i'm too scared to even discuss it with my Dr when i have to have my repeat renewed!!! As i have nothing alcohol related for over 10 years..

Thanks

The fact that you were caught during driving (or a refusal in your case) does not automatically mean that you have been dependant or misused alcohol. You can fail a breath test on half a bottle of wine as a ‘one off’ .....you have used alcohol inappropriately when you then drive, but it is not alcohol misuse in the meaning that DVLA are asking about.
Hope that helps.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off