Alcoholic friend caught drink driving.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Millop

I’m posting about my friend who has a long history of acoholism/alcohol dependency.
she was the cause of hitting 2 vehicles and failing to stop. Fortunately no one was hurt..thank goodness! She also narrowly missed hitting a woman by an inch. 2 other vehicles followed her and when she pulled over to where she was going they rung the police and the rest is history! She tells me she was 3 times over the limit.
she was fully compliant at the station and told them she had been in and out of hospital with drinking related issues/detoxes as of late.
I am just wondering if anyone has any idea what the consequences of her actions may result in?
no previous driving convictions whatsoever although I’m surprised this hasn’t happened a long time ago. As her friend I’m glad this has happened as she will be no longer a danger to herself or others.
many input would be greatly appreciated.

Details of offence as provided by you:

• Specimen Type: breath
  • Alcohol Level: between 90 and 119
  • No previous drink driving related convictions within the proceeding 10 years
  • You have not been disqualified two or more times for 56 days or more within the proceeding 3 years
Based on the information you provided above, upon conviction of driving with excess alcohol, Magistrates' sentencing guidelines suggest:

• A driving disqualification of 23 - 28 months; and
  • A Low to high level community order
Classed as High Risk Offender
Because the level of alcohol in your system exceeded 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine you will be classed as a high risk offender.

High risk offenders are required to take and pass a DVLA Medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of their driving driving disqualification.

Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course
All courts usually offer first time offenders the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. A court may allow an offender to take the course a second time where there is a good reason to do so. Offenders will not usually be offered a chance to take the course for a third time. Completing the course can reduce any disqualification period imposed by up to 25%.

Enter New Information

Details of offence as provided by you:

• Specimen Type: breath
  • Alcohol Level: between 90 and 119
  • No previous drink driving related convictions within the proceeding 10 years
  • You have not been disqualified two or more times for 56 days or more within the proceeding 3 years
Based on the information you provided above, upon conviction of driving with excess alcohol, Magistrates' sentencing guidelines suggest:

• A driving disqualification of 23 - 28 months; and
  • A Low to high level community order
Classed as High Risk Offender
Because the level of alcohol in your system exceeded 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine you will be classed as a high risk offender.

High risk offenders are required to take and pass a DVLA Medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of their driving driving disqualification.

Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course
All courts usually offer first time offenders the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. A court may allow an offender to take the course a second time where there is a good reason to do so. Offenders will not usually be offered a chance to take the course for a third time. Completing the course can reduce any disqualification period imposed by up to 25%.

Enter New Information
It may well be the case that the ban is probably longer because of aggravating factors and they may well ask her to attend a drink programme, however on applying for her licence back(if she gets sober) then she can expect a full DVLA medical 1 years abstination from the drink followed by GPs reports and liver function tests, and never to consume alcohol ever again if she is to drive at all ....

Thanks honest man. So could there be a chance that she could get prison or ordered into a rehab?

Thanks honest man. So could there be a chance that she could get prison or ordered into a rehab?
She has had numerous liver tests and they all come back clear! I’m baffled by this because of the amount she consumes! She is a 24/7 drinker. Drinks passes out for a few hours, then does it all over again! In a good way, I’m glad this has happened. It needed to for everyone’s safety and her own!

I don't think she'll go to prison usually you need to be over 120 breath, obviously tho she needs help, not sure if the courts do rehab,however if she gets to speak with a probation officer to see what her suitable punishment would be, I know the courts do offer a drink related course (not the reduction one-off 25%) but I can't remember the name of it, some alcoholics do show normal liver function and I've no idea why.... Time to get help for her now tho, thank god she has a good friend like yourself.....

I don't think she'll go to prison usually you need to be over 120 breath, obviously tho she needs help, not sure if the courts do rehab,however if she gets to speak with a probation officer to see what her suitable punishment would be, I know the courts do offer a drink related course (not the reduction one-off 25%) but I can't remember the name of it, some alcoholics do show normal liver function and I've no idea why.... Time to get help for her now tho, thank god she has a good friend like yourself.....
Thank you for replying. She has been this way for at least 10 years now. Unfortunately myself and her family have tried umpteen times to get her help but she is not ready or wanting help just now. The old saying ‘you can lead a horse to water but you can’t get make than drink’ springs to mind. You cannot help someone unless they are a willing participant and unfortunately she is not.

Sad really, I think though price 1367 will know the name of the drink course that I am talking about, maybe he can add to this post when he's about I know someone posted a few days ago that they had to attend a 14 week course, but as you said if they got no intention then it's a waste of time, at least there's another drunk driver off the road....

Sad really, I think though price 1367 will know the name of the drink course that I am talking about, maybe he can add to this post when he's about I know someone posted a few days ago that they had to attend a 14 week course, but as you said if they got no intention then it's a waste of time, at least there's another drunk driver off the road....
Very sad indeed! We’ve been friends for over 40 years and it’s devastating to see her this way! She’s lost everything already. This is just another tick in the box to add to her losses. Maybe, just maybe she may have a moment of clarity and want to get well and follow a structured programme but I have zero expectations of her because that will lead to disappointment in my behalf! I fear we’ll be burying her soon..it’s that bad! Yes, I totally agree with you! This needed to happen to get her off the road and keep others safe! I don’t live near by or I’d have reported her myself for the sake of others and herself! She uses her husbands car and he’s allowed it!!!

Hi helpful people,

I’ve just found out my friend failed to turn up at court sometime this week for her hearing (see my above post) she claimed she didn’t receive a letter to summons her to court?? I find that hard to believe. The police have arrested her today and put her in a cell, keeping her there and she’s up in court tomorrow sometime. Can anyone give me an inkling of what the consequences will now be for her please?
thanks in advance

Sorry, for some reason this thread has completely escaped me until I saw an update today....
The course that probation run is called the Drink Impaired Drivers course. (Known as DIDS) it is 14x 2 hours once a week and is quite different to the Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course.
Firstly the DIDS course is compulsory, it is a part of the community penalty that the court imposes.
Secondly it is run by The Probation Service, not private companies, so it is free.
Thirdly it is centred on getting people to understand what alcohol is doing to them and has a large degree of counselling.
Fourthly (and importantly for Offenders) it shoes NOT attract a reduction in disqualification by up to 25% like the DDRS does.

Hi helpful people,

I’ve just found out my friend failed to turn up at court sometime this week for her hearing (see my above post) she claimed she didn’t receive a letter to summons her to court?? I find that hard to believe. The police have arrested her today and put her in a cell, keeping her there and she’s up in court tomorrow sometime. Can anyone give me an inkling of what the consequences will now be for her please?
thanks in advance
Given the timescales you have indicated, your friend will have been charged with drink Driving and bailed when she was released to attend court on a set date. She would have been given a copy of the bail form showing the court date so she would not get a letter in the post informing her.
There would not have been enough time in 8 weeks for the police to submit a file and a summons raised to be served on her by post for a court date this week.

This may be a blessing in some sort,She may get a harsh penalty in court now which may wake her up to her addiction to drink,Been there and its no fun.

Given the timescales you have indicated, your friend will have been charged with drink Driving and bailed when she was released to attend court on a set date. She would have been given a copy of the bail form showing the court date so she would not get a letter in the post informing her.
There would not have been enough time in 8 weeks for the police to submit a file and a summons raised to be served on her by post for a court date this week.
Thanks Grice for your honest reply.
Still haven’t heard anything from today. Apparently she’s still waiting at the courts to be seen. They have informed her husband that they won’t rule out a custodial sentence given the circumstances. Her blood reading was 132 and they found a bottle of vodka hidden under the seat of the car. She told me they didn’t give her a court date letter at the station. They gave her a booklet with drink driving info in it and that was all! They told her to let them know if she is changing address because they would send it through the post? I suspect she’s not being truthful about the whole saga. It’s just a waiting game now. Sounds like that DIDS course may do her some good because everything else has not hit home. Any way regardless of the outcome I’m so glad it’s another alcoholic that’s been taken off the road because she is a danger to herself and others.

This may be a blessing in some sort,She may get a harsh penalty in court now which may wake her up to her addiction to drink,Been there and its no fun.
I totally agree with you. Either that or she’ll be dead soon..there’s no doubt about that! Love the person..hate the disease!

Just heard from her sister. She got a 3 year ban, suspended sentence (narrowly missed a custodial sentence) has to attend the DIDS course and probably got community service, although not confirmed by her sister yet. Thanks for all your help and guidance. Just hope and pray that my best friend since 4 years old, gets her act together!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off