Alcohol Does Not Destroy Lives, People Do!

Convicted Driver Insurance

recrec

Like a Loaded Gun, Alcohol is harmless until acted upon/picked up by a Human Being then discharged, or drank. Alcohol will not force itself down your throat, just like the 'Gun' will not fire by itself. It takes the active voluntary involvement of a Human Being, because these two objects are 'inanimate,' they can do nothing by themselves, it takes your involvement!

We are so stupid as Humans, we blame everything on someone/something else instead of looking at our own actions and facing up to the consequences as a result of them.

Get 'REAL'...People!

Like a Loaded Gun, Alcohol is harmless until acted upon/picked up by a Human Being then discharged, or drank. Alcohol will not force itself down your throat, just like the 'Gun' will not fire by itself. It takes the active voluntary involvement of a Human Being, because these two objects are 'inanimate,' they can do nothing by themselves, it takes your involvement!

We are so stupid as Humans, we blame everything on someone/something else instead of looking at our own actions and facing up to the consequences as a result of them.

Get 'REAL'...People!

I totally agree with this, but it cannot be denied that peoples judgement is affected by alcohol and it is highly addictive. I would bet money on the fact that most people in the world, who drink alcohol or who have drunk alcohol to the point of being drunk have done something or said something they later regret or are ashamed of. Their own fault for getting drunk in the first place, yes. But it still doesent change the fact.

Sometimes people dont always make the right choices and what can be a social past time, can also, easily, become an addiction. But ultimately it is down to the individual and the choices they make.

I agree, but that said, helping to guide decisions along a correct or at least safer path, is part of a government's job. After all, substance abuse can harm more than the abuser, so proper regulation must be installed for the greater good.

Which makes the question that much more complicated :eek:

Get 'REAL'...People!

Whilst alcohol does not force itself down ones throat, we live in a society where the vast majority of people drink. For most, it will cause no graver problem than the occasional hangover. However, for the one in ten who become alcoholic, it will utterly destroy their lives. It is impossible for anyone to know in advance who will become an alcoholic and the person affected rarely comes to an understanding of his situation until it is too late. Alcoholism affects all sections of society. An alcoholic is no more responsible for their condition than a cancer sufferer is responsible for theirs. Alcoholism is a progressive and ultimately fatal illness for which there is no cure.

On the physical side, when an alcoholic takes a single drink a craving develops and he is unable to stop drinking until he passes out. In the later stages of the illness alcoholics will need to drink almost 24/7 to satisfy their craving. Willpower is of absolutely no use. Once this stage has been reached it is very dangerous to stop drinking without medication and supervision. The sufferer may experience delirium tremens, fits or heart failure - one in ten will die during detox without medical care.

Once the alcoholic is detoxed, psychiatric treatment is needed. He is utterly obsessed with alcohol. The illness tricks him into believing that he does not really have a problem. Within a few weeks or months most will drink again. The cycle of abstinence and binge continues ad infinitum. The belief that one day he will be able to drink 'normally' is the great obsession of every alcoholic. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death. Without ongoing treatment on a regular basis for the rest of his life the alcoholic will always return to drink. The program of Alcoholics Anonymous offers the best chance for recovery.

I am writing, not as a medical professional, but as a recovering alcoholic. I realise that it is a very difficult illness to understand for those who are unaffected. Ignorance in the general population and more worryingly, in some sections of the medical profession and the judiciary, is another obstacle the alcoholic will have to overcome in recovery. NHS provision for the treatment of alcoholics is virtually non-existent and private treatment starts at around £5,000. It is a sad indictment of our society that I am alive today simply because I was able to pay for the treatment I needed; thousands die each year simply because they cannot. If the provision of cancer care were dependent upon ones ability to pay there would be a public outcry, and rightly so. The fact that treatment for alcoholism is allocated in this manner is no less of a scandal.

I strongly urge anyone who thinks they have a problem with alcohol to contact AA without delay. You are not at fault and can get better. Recovery will be the hardest thing you ever do but will utterly transform your life.

To those of you who still think alcoholism is a matter of will power, I urge you to try applying will power next time you catch a cold and see how far you get!

Justin

Of course, it's the people who drink but in my opinion alcohol and drug abuse have become a problem of our modern society. A lot of people don't want to drink but they have sorrows and troubles and they can't cope with them in a normal way so they look for ways to forget their problems, that's when alcohol and drugs come in. Things have to change in our society, otherwise we can't fight the devil alcohol.

i agrea with that ,but try saying that to some one who
is a alcaholic

perhaps we should have health warnings the same as a
cigarett packet does

buts its tax money to the goverment so it wont matter
if it kills you they will just wait untill your dead
then start taking off the person who replaces you

This is true because many homes today are wrecked because of alcoholism. I witness some effect of alcohol especially in the family and it was horrible. I remember a man delivered in one of our services who were amazed to learn how many devils were in him. It was actually through a sip from a bottle of alcohol that he got those demons. When you get drunk, you give your mind, your body over to the devil to possess. The destructive/degrading power of satan takes control over a person when he/she loses control of his/her senses, or mind. An alcoholic is a helpless and senseless being. The desire of the flesh is what causes people to indulge in alcoholism. Think what an alcoholic is like when he cannot get a drink, and multiply that many times. It will be the same for a drug addict, a sex offender, a murderer - they are tormented like they are in hell already.

I agree with all you said here. True that alcohol won't hurt anyone until improperly used. but we live in a world that is teaching everyone to drink alcohol and be stupid once you are already drunk. It seems like drinking alcohol is a must for "men" and you are not a "man" if you do not drink.. that is soo stupid I must say! This substance was made for our health, for nutrition and for cleansing not made to ruin peoples lives.

Whilst alcohol does not force itself down ones throat, we live in a society where the vast majority of people drink. For most, it will cause no graver problem than the occasional hangover. However, for the one in ten who become alcoholic, it will utterly destroy their lives. It is impossible for anyone to know in advance who will become an alcoholic and the person affected rarely comes to an understanding of his situation until it is too late. Alcoholism affects all sections of society. An alcoholic is no more responsible for their condition than a cancer sufferer is responsible for theirs. Alcoholism is a progressive and ultimately fatal illness for which there is no cure.

On the physical side, when an alcoholic takes a single drink a craving develops and he is unable to stop drinking until he passes out. In the later stages of the illness alcoholics will need to drink almost 24/7 to satisfy their craving. Willpower is of absolutely no use. Once this stage has been reached it is very dangerous to stop drinking without medication and supervision. The sufferer may experience delirium tremens, fits or heart failure - one in ten will die during detox without medical care.

Once the alcoholic is detoxed, psychiatric treatment is needed. He is utterly obsessed with alcohol. The illness tricks him into believing that he does not really have a problem. Within a few weeks or months most will drink again. The cycle of abstinence and binge continues ad infinitum. The belief that one day he will be able to drink 'normally' is the great obsession of every alcoholic. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death. Without ongoing treatment on a regular basis for the rest of his life the alcoholic will always return to drink. The program of Alcoholics Anonymous offers the best chance for recovery.

I am writing, not as a medical professional, but as a recovering alcoholic. I realise that it is a very difficult illness to understand for those who are unaffected. Ignorance in the general population and more worryingly, in some sections of the medical profession and the judiciary, is another obstacle the alcoholic will have to overcome in recovery. NHS provision for the treatment of alcoholics is virtually non-existent and private treatment starts at around £5,000. It is a sad indictment of our society that I am alive today simply because I was able to pay for the treatment I needed; thousands die each year simply because they cannot. If the provision of cancer care were dependent upon ones ability to pay there would be a public outcry, and rightly so. The fact that treatment for alcoholism is allocated in this manner is no less of a scandal.

I strongly urge anyone who thinks they have a problem with alcohol to contact AA without delay. You are not at fault and can get better. Recovery will be the hardest thing you ever do but will utterly transform your life.

To those of you who still think alcoholism is a matter of will power, I urge you to try applying will power next time you catch a cold and see how far you get!

Justin

Hi justin- i could not agree more with what you have said. My life has always involved alcohol,from friends to girlfriends,from my teens to my current age of 41. As i am now facing a DD ban,im finally waking up to the fact that every single bad thing or stupid thing ive ever done has always been related to alcohol. Even relationship breakdowns,ive had a few,could probably be down to it too. I normally drink a bottle of red on a friday night and the same on a saturday-and i have the occasional meet up with mates where we all get bladdered!
This may not in itself sound excessive,but its all the negative things that have happened all go back to having a drink..... As for control,i have none when drunk and often say things i regret and at times,cannot believe ive said them.(or remember).
I do believe to some people alcohol can be a past time,and to others a poison-for me its always been the latter.Its very addictive and i think that there are a lot of people out there completely dependent without knowing it!
The thought of quitting has crossed my mind-untill i try! maybe 3 weeks,and then i always go back,but only to weekend drinking,ive managed to stay away from week night drinking,but i know most my friends in relationships do-so maybe it just is as you say,an enjoyable tipple to some and completly addictive to others.
I only had 2 pints of peroni-this is going to end in a 12 month ban,so stupid,and due to bumping into a mate doing xmas shopping and the normal-lets have a pint and a catch -up! I may try AA sounds like its worked for you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off