Age or Illness exceptions?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mandyzed

Hi. My Dad drinks a lot, and still drives. The other day, when he went out in his car, my Mum phoned the police to report it. They took details of where he was going, how long he would be etc. She hadn't expected him to be out long, so when he didn't return after a couple of hours she phoned the police to see what was happening. All they would tell her was that 'something was happening and he was ok'. Confidentiallity and all that I guess.
He finally came home, in his car, at about 1130pm which is very late for him, giving no explanation for his lateness, and whistling nonchalently. Apparently, he had a very strong smell about him, as if he had been in a cell. I have no experience of what that smell may be like but imagine it to be quite unpleasant.
So, he is 73, and has various ailments including Alzheimers. Would the police have let him off because of this? He used to be a fireman and has done council work. Could they have felt sorry for him because he can be very ingratiating. Do they have the power to be lenient if they see fit and not press charges?
Appreciate any advice.

Unfortunately the police do not have discretion in these matters where someone is over the limit. In any event they tend to adopt a zero tolerance approach to people who drink drive regardless of a motorist's age, standing or personal circumstances.

If your dad blew under 40 ug it is likely that no further action would be taken due to policy that is in place between the Prosection and the Police. However, if your father has provided a specimen of breath that is over 40 ug then he is very likely to be prosecuted.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off