Again, drunk driving :(

Convicted Driver Insurance

fazeeuk

Hi,
I was under influence (70 in breath) and I was involved in an accident.
I did not cause it as it was the other drivers fault. I realise what is going to happen now however not sure how will my insurer act now. I was third party only. I was advised there is a company that deals with this kind of casess and they can help to claim some costs back.
Please, can I get some advice on how this works and what my chances are to recover some costs.
Also If you could let me know if this matters in court that it was other drivers fault causing an accident.
Thank you!

Firstly, you must report the accident to your insurer. If the accident was the fault of the other driver and he and his insurer admit liability then you will be able to recover any losses from ther other driver's insurance company. When you appear in court for the drink driving then you are in a better position if the court are told that the accident was in no way your fault, although being involved in an accident is never a good thing when accused of drink driving.

On the other hand, if the other driver were to dispute liability then you would not be in a strong position given you were double the drink driving limit. Indeed, if your insurer decided that it was your fault then they may refuse to indemnify you on a fully comrehensive basis and may only honour the third party claim, which they could seek to recover from you. This sort of policy is not uncommon with drink drivers reponsible for accidents.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off