Advice please

Convicted Driver Insurance

Coostietightner123

Established Member
Please excuse the generic search term, it generally attracts the most amount of views and responses.
As some of you will know, I posted a bit of a life story on here maybe a month ago. Long story short, if that’s possible.
Im an HRO on the threshold of getting my licence and life back. Im an HGV driver. Luck has never been my friend.
And so it was with little surprise I was admitted to hospital with suspected pancreatic cancer. Life can be harsh sometimes.
Last couple of days, this suspicion has unfortunately become a reality. Im as ok as I can be with it. Prognosis for pancreatic cancer, is not inspiring.
So, my issue…. Im currently waiting on my DVLA medical. I’ve been advised by DVLA that because I paid for a D4 form to be filled in by my doctor, they will probably not ask for further information, as all the questions they would ask around dependency and misuse etc have already been answered. No history in the last 6 years of mental health or physical health. This has already been signed off.
However, my oncologist surgeon has told me I will likely need surgery and possibly chemo at some point. I know there will probably be medication.
The DVLA medical consists of a few things, inclusive of prodding and poking one’s abdomen, which would not be favourable if I’ve had surgery, or even now when my pancreas is quite tender. Cancer, unless it’s cerebral, isnt a concern to DVLA unless of course medication etc makes you drowsy or would make you unsafe to drive. Something that I would have to declare. When you are sent your letter to arrange a medical, how long do you have before having to reapply? How long is a piece of string, but assuming I had surgery would I still have time to have a medical? Should I inform DVLA NOW, of my condition?
This has thrown a spanner directly into my life. But I’ve been dogged and determined about firstly addressing the issues that blighted me and helped put me in this position. I’ve dedicated the last three years to the pursuit of a new life, free from alcohol and any other issues. I could probably have asked questions more concisely, but my blurb reflects the storm going around in my head at the moment.
Thanks all

Please excuse the generic search term, it generally attracts the most amount of views and responses.
As some of you will know, I posted a bit of a life story on here maybe a month ago. Long story short, if that’s possible.
Im an HRO on the threshold of getting my licence and life back. Im an HGV driver. Luck has never been my friend.
And so it was with little surprise I was admitted to hospital with suspected pancreatic cancer. Life can be harsh sometimes.
Last couple of days, this suspicion has unfortunately become a reality. Im as ok as I can be with it. Prognosis for pancreatic cancer, is not inspiring.
So, my issue…. Im currently waiting on my DVLA medical. I’ve been advised by DVLA that because I paid for a D4 form to be filled in by my doctor, they will probably not ask for further information, as all the questions they would ask around dependency and misuse etc have already been answered. No history in the last 6 years of mental health or physical health. This has already been signed off.
However, my oncologist surgeon has told me I will likely need surgery and possibly chemo at some point. I know there will probably be medication.
The DVLA medical consists of a few things, inclusive of prodding and poking one’s abdomen, which would not be favourable if I’ve had surgery, or even now when my pancreas is quite tender. Cancer, unless it’s cerebral, isnt a concern to DVLA unless of course medication etc makes you drowsy or would make you unsafe to drive. Something that I would have to declare. When you are sent your letter to arrange a medical, how long do you have before having to reapply? How long is a piece of string, but assuming I had surgery would I still have time to have a medical? Should I inform DVLA NOW, of my condition?
This has thrown a spanner directly into my life. But I’ve been dogged and determined about firstly addressing the issues that blighted me and helped put me in this position. I’ve dedicated the last three years to the pursuit of a new life, free from alcohol and any other issues. I could probably have asked questions more concisely, but my blurb reflects the storm going around in my head at the moment.
Thanks all
I'm so sorry 😞 truely sadden to read your diagnosis. I suppose there is no time like present to declare it to the DVLA, just saves anymore more hassle later down the line. You've made so many positive changes that you deserve to be given your licence back, just keep being transparent with them and hopefully they finally close this chapter for you

I'm so sorry 😞 truely sadden to read your diagnosis. I suppose there is no time like present to declare it to the DVLA, just saves anymore more hassle later down the line. You've made so many positive changes that you deserve to be given your licence back, just keep being transparent with them and hopefully they finally close this chapter for you
Thanks Bee,
Maybe I’m a little weird but the whole Cancer thing hasn’t really phased me. It’s all a bit early so nothing seems real if that makes sense. Im fit and healthy, no symptoms other than discomfort in left side of stomach. However I have 3 kids all adults, but they are always ‘kids’ no matter their age. And telling them has been the most difficult part. It ain’t over until the fat lady sings. I’ll refrain from jokes about the x wife 😂. Forgive my sense of humour, but im gonna need that.
Anyhoo, after checking with DVLA they seem thoroughly uninterested in the diagnosis so long as it’s not an obvious risk to my capability to drive safely. And stomach related is not on their list.
It’s just if the surgery and or chemo interfere or vice versa with the DVLA medical. Three years I’ve waited. I need to give myself the best possible chance of attending and passing.

Hi,

Bless you! I cannot imagine what you are going through AND also being positive about everything that is going on.

Your license is just that....your life is worth infinte more.

They may just say "Is this person fit to drive?". Post surgery. You will heal but it takes time and BTW you have done brilliant with alcohol issues alone.

Then you get this, my heart goes out to you mate!

You deserve you licence back!

Kind regards,

Stu

Hi,

Bless you! I cannot imagine what you are going through AND also being positive about everything that is going on.

Your license is just that....your life is worth infinte more.

They may just say "Is this person fit to drive?". Post surgery. You will heal but it takes time and BTW you have done brilliant with alcohol issues alone.

Then you get this, my heart goes out to you mate!

You deserve you licence back!

Kind regards,

Stu

Thanks, kind words. There’s always someone worse off pal, regardless of circumstances. I’m 56 some don’t make it anywhere near that. I’ve always been a scrapper so this is no different. In terms of the alcohol I’m just so fortunate i don’t have an addictive personality. So I can’t really take too much credit for that. It was as easy as turning the tap off. Current situation just puts everything in perspective. But it’s important to have targets and goals. So I’ll be fighting on two fronts and trying to get them to mesh somehow. Thanks again for the kind words. Appreciated.

I'd certainly tell them if you're worried about the prodding. When my DVL-drake felt my abdomen, had I been of that persuasion I'd have been tempted to ask him to do it lower down and call me bitch he was so rough; that hound.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off