Advice on medical.

• Thread starter Deleted member 10656
  • Start date
Convicted Driver Insurance

Deleted member 10656

My ban is up today which means if I already done my medical I could drive tomorrow!! But this isn’t the case due to money issues with Xmas and my sons birthday soon after. So I sent off the d1 on Tuesday the 21st. Last drink was Sunday the 19th. I was drinking heavy. Maybe 6-8 cans a day. I’m just wanting some advice on how long to stop before doing the medical? And how long does it usually take to hear back from DVLA after posting the d1? I’m from Newark notts. Any one on here know the closest dvla doctors to this area and how much the medical is ? I really wish I done it sooner ! Had my license 7 years not 1 point and made a silly mistake. :( thanks to anyone with advice.

Can’t help you with a doctor, DVLA do not publish a list of the ones they use.
6-8 cans a day..... depends on what you drink but that is 70-140 units a week......!
when should you stop? I suggest as of Sunday 19th January. It is possible to drink a small amount of alcohol right up to the medical but as you have been drinking that quantity it would be best if you do not drink at all. For some people a can or two is never enough, so leave well alone.
You should hear back from DVLA in about 2 weeks with the name of the doctor in your area, and you have 6 weeks from the date on the letter to have the medical.
You are asked on the questionnaire about your drinking - frequency / amount. With that level of consumption you may well have problems getting your licence back. The recommended amount is 14 units a week.

Can’t help you with a doctor, DVLA do not publish a list of the ones they use.
6-8 cans a day..... depends on what you drink but that is 70-140 units a week......!
when should you stop? I suggest as of Sunday 19th January. It is possible to drink a small amount of alcohol right up to the medical but as you have been drinking that quantity it would be best if you do not drink at all. For some people a can or two is never enough, so leave well alone.
You should hear back from DVLA in about 2 weeks with the name of the doctor in your area, and you have 6 weeks from the date on the letter to have the medical.
You are asked on the questionnaire about your drinking - frequency / amount. With that level of consumption you may well have problems getting your licence back. The recommended amount is 14 units a week.
So do you think stopping from the 19th and having 3-4 weeks off is enough ? I’m not going back to drinking how I was. Been in a bad place recently.

So do you think stopping from the 19th and having 3-4 weeks off is enough ? I’m not going back to drinking how I was. Been in a bad place recently.
Your showing Dependancy & Alcoholic tendancy mate! That's the exact reasons the DVLA put these measures in place, your trying to play the system knowing the exact time you can stop!
Even if you did manage that hurdle it's gaurenteed you will return it's not worth it

If your admitting 6/8 cans a day should you really have a licence & be safe

Your showing Dependancy & Alcoholic tendancy mate! That's the exact reasons the DVLA put these measures in place, your trying to play the system knowing the exact time you can stop!
Even if you did manage that hurdle it's gaurenteed you will return it's not worth it
I’d never drink drive again. I don’t depend on alcohol mate. But when I ain’t driving who’s to say what I can and can’t drink... I was asking for advice as I new nothing about a medical upto a couple of months ago.

If you have been drinking 6/8 cans of beer for a length of time it's quite possible that your liver function will be raised, I was drinking 30 units per week and this caused my liver function to be raised and took 3 months of complete abstination for it to return to normal, I would suggest you get a test done with your GP because if it is then you will fail the CDT testing...

I’d never drink drive again. I don’t depend on alcohol mate. But when I ain’t driving who’s to say what I can and can’t drink... I was asking for advice as I new nothing about a medical upto a couple of months ago.

Oh dear, you have clearly not read up on the extent that the medical can entail, with not just the questionnaire, the CDT test for alcohol consumption but also often checks with your GP on your medical history for the past 6 years.
In reality it is not about drink driving, but your fitness to regain your licence. if DVLA assess that you are drinking in excess or recommended amounts they can, and will refuse you your licence back Until you are allowed to re apply.
The comments made about dependency were, I expect, made in the light of you disclosing that you drink 6-8 cans EVERY day. A lot of people may drink that amount, but they do not do it every day........
If you settle down to start your 8 cans (if they are 500ml Stella or similar) at, say, 6pm then you would still be over the limit the following day at 8.30am when you would probably be driving to work.
Your name ‘Shanmarie’ could mean you are male or female. If you are a female you would still be over the limit at 10.30am.

i know all about the theory of DVLA medicals but there are many people who post on here who have practical experience of them. Most will not judge you, just give good honest advice based on their own experience.

My ban is up today which means if I already done my medical I could drive tomorrow!! But this isn’t the case due to money issues with Xmas and my sons birthday soon after. So I sent off the d1 on Tuesday the 21st. Last drink was Sunday the 19th. I was drinking heavy. Maybe 6-8 cans a day. I’m just wanting some advice on how long to stop before doing the medical? And how long does it usually take to hear back from DVLA after posting the d1? I’m from Newark notts. Any one on here know the closest dvla doctors to this area and how much the medical is ? I really wish I done it sooner ! Had my license 7 years not 1 point and made a silly mistake. :( thanks to anyone with advice.
Yes shanmarie on reading your post again drinking that volume of alcohol will definitely have an effect on your liver, more than likely it will be inflammation of the liver which will raise your GGT therefore showing abnormal blood markers, which DVLA will class you as misuse/dependence, you can have a private liver function test online at about 39.99 and this won't be documented with your GP, it only takes 2 weeks to 24 hours to raise liver function drinking at that level and it will take a minimum of about 6/8 weeks for your liver function to return to normal if there isn't any damage, if you do go ahead with your medical then my feeling is that you will raise red flags for further investigation which could result in a revocation for 6/12 months, get a medichecks test ASAP and liver function test to get a baseline, from there on in you can plan, and for god sake stay Off THE BOOZE ....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off