Advice on failing to stop & careless driving please

Convicted Driver Insurance

Derp

I was hoping I might be able to get some advice ahead of going to court. This isn't drink driving related, but the charges against me are serious nonetheless. I'm charged with failing to stop after an accident, failing to report within 24hrs and driving without due care and attention after I caused an accident. Thankfully the damage was minor and nobody was hurt. I intend to plead guilty to all charges and I was hoping for advice on whether or not I'm likely to be convicted of all of them and whether I'm likely to get banned. Is there anything I can do to reduce the punishment I will receive. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Advice on failing to stop& careless driving please

Failing to stop and report an accident can be very serous offences depending upon the circumstances. Based upon your description that only minor damage was cause, I would expect it to fall into the lowest sentencing bracket of 5-6 penalty points and a Band B fine. If however the Court decide that there was moderate damage caused in the accident, or that the overall offence is serious enough then the second sentencing bracket advises either 7-8 penalty points or a disqualification. Careless driving also carries 3-9 penalty points depending on the nature of your driving.

The first aim in any plea of mitigation would be to convince the Court that they should only sentence you in respect of the most serious offence, and not endorse penalty points for the other matters. This is very much a discretionary power the Court has and there is no obligation on them to do so. The second element of the mitigation would be to minimise the number of points endorsed for the offence itself.

If you are interested in representation then you are welcome to contact my department on 0333 999 7158.

Thank you Sean, I much appreciate the advice. I think they are likely to consider it moderate damage/a more serious offence due to the nature of the accident as it occurred at speed on the motorway. Can I ask one last thing please? Will/can the courts charge me for both failing to stop and failing to report, or are they only likely to charge me for one or the other. Thanks again.

It is the prosecution who decide the charges against you and if they have indicated that they are prosecution you for all 3 matters, I would expect this to be the case when the summons is sent through.

Thank you again Sean, I appreciate your help.

Not a problem at all. Please feel free to get in contact when the summons comes through.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off