I was banned from driving for 16 months last year
No excuses I deserved it
I refused a breath test

my ban is up 23 November
But
I only got the forms to re apply for my license 10 days ago
I had no idea I am classed as a high risk offender
I also knew nothing of needing a medical
Reading up now I see DVLA should of sent me info 90 days ago and 50 odd days ago
They didn’t as I say only got last week
This has all shocked me as I’ve a car arriving 24 november
I’ll call DVLA tomorrow but I’m looking for advice
Do I have a case that they haven’t sent relevant info and press them on it
Or go easy

any advice is really appreciated

I don’t think you have a case to press them.
even a small amount of research would have shown you that if the forms do not arrive from DVLA then you get a D1 form from the post office and apply with that.
there is no leeway for them to ignore the need for a medical if you are a HRO because you haven’t applied, so you will Just have to submit the form and wait.
if you do not hear in 2 weeks or so, you can start pressing them, but even then there will be a wait for the medical and the delay after that will depend on the results and if they contact your GP.
Have a look round on this site at posts where people have been trying to get medicals for weeks, and sometimes several months to get through the process.
Sorry to say this, but you will not be driving your new car in November, and quite possibly not till February or longer!

I don’t think you have a case to press them.
even a small amount of research would have shown you that if the forms do not arrive from DVLA then you get a D1 form from the post office and apply with that.
there is no leeway for them to ignore the need for a medical if you are a HRO because you haven’t applied, so you will Just have to submit the form and wait.
if you do not hear in 2 weeks or so, you can start pressing them, but even then there will be a wait for the medical and the delay after that will depend on the results and if they contact your GP.
Have a look round on this site at posts where people have been trying to get medicals for weeks, and sometimes several months to get through the process.
Sorry to say this, but you will not be driving your new car in November, and quite possibly not till February or longer!

The letter you got from the dvla post court should have said re medical etc
Suggest you check
Also if you have no licence will you be able to get insurance for your car - best to check
Good luck

I was banned from driving for 16 months last year
No excuses I deserved it
I refused a breath test

my ban is up 23 November
But
I only got the forms to re apply for my license 10 days ago
I had no idea I am classed as a high risk offender
I also knew nothing of needing a medical
Reading up now I see DVLA should of sent me info 90 days ago and 50 odd days ago
They didn’t as I say only got last week
This has all shocked me as I’ve a car arriving 24 november
I’ll call DVLA tomorrow but I’m looking for advice
Do I have a case that they haven’t sent relevant info and press them on it
Or go easy

any advice is really appreciated
Unfortunately the emphasis is on you to have applied for your licence if DVLA do not send the application forms. When you received the details of your ban you would have been informed that you would be classed as an HRO and need a medical before your licence would be reissued, and you would have been informed that you would need to reapply for your licence.

As Price mentions, if you read through other posts on this forum you will see typical timescales. If you have just sent your application off, you can expect to receive a letter back within 4 weeks or so from DVLA with details of the Doctor who has been chosen to do your medical. You then have 6 weeks to book this appointment, however you will find some Doctors are not carrying out medicals at the moment. Once this medical is carried out, depending on what the DVLA feel like (there seems to be no hard and fast rules at the moment), they may write to your GP for further details - given you refused the breath test I would suggest that they will write to your GP. The GP then has 4 weeks to reply, DVLA will then make a decision as to whether to issue you a licence or refuse you. This again can take a week or so.

All in all, you are looking at up to 3 months before you might get your licence back. in the meantime I would suggest contacting your GP and discussing your situation. Ensure that their records are correct regarding your alcohol situation. Having your GP on board is key to getting your licence back ASAP. Remember the DVLA medical will include a blood test that looks at CDT, which is looking at recent alcohol consumption. As your medical will probably be around Christmas time, ensure you do not overdo the sherry at the Christmas party! Read through the forums about peoples stories regarding the CDT for details.

As a further point, as January mentions, check the status regarding insurance of the new car. As you do not have a licence, the majority of insurance companies will not offer insurance - so if there is credit involved with the car purchase you may need to get somebody else to insure until you can.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off