Advice needed. D10 still affecting job offers 5 years later

Convicted Driver Insurance

MattJK

Hi all. I (like most of us on here am guessing) stupidly got caught drink driving just over 5 years ago. I got a 2 year ban which i served. Drove with expensive insurance for the next 3 years after the ban expired and am now finally at the stage where I thankfully no longer have to declare my D10 on my insurance. I'm a plasterer by trade and would love to work for a housing association that supplies company vehicles, fuel card, pension scheme etc. I've been applying lately and was offered my dream job that started a week after I'd given my notice. I sent all the required documents and then a day later received a call explaining that the offer had been retracted due to my D10 and that although I no longer have to declare it on my own insurance the D10 stays on my license 11 years!!!!

This cant be right surely? I did the crime, served the time, paid the premiums and now find out this is still gonna be around my neck for another 6 long years. Thats a bitter pill to swallow

Any advice ????

It may be that the requirement for the job specifies that there must be a ‘clean licence’
The problem for you is that it is correct that it remains on your licence for 11 years, even though it is spent after 5.
What you should have done it so look at your driving licence record yourself (it would show the conviction for 11 years) and then create a code to supply to your employer. When they use that code they do not see spent convictions.
I expect that you gave them your details and they logged in as you, in effect, and then saw what only you should see.
If you can prove that you have been denied a job because of a spent conviction you could take legal action against them, but you would need to speak to a solicitor.
You could start my making a ‘subject access request to DVLA and on the result it may show up the prospective employers search and how they did it.

It may be that the requirement for the job specifies that there must be a ‘clean licence’
The problem for you is that it is correct that it remains on your licence for 11 years, even though it is spent after 5.
What you should have done it so look at your driving licence record yourself (it would show the conviction for 11 years) and then create a code to supply to your employer. When they use that code they do not see spent convictions.
I expect that you gave them your details and they logged in as you, in effect, and then saw what only you should see.
If you can prove that you have been denied a job because of a spent conviction you could take legal action against them, but you would need to speak to a solicitor.
You could start my making a ‘subject access request to DVLA and on the result it may show up the prospective employers search and how they did it.
That's actually really helpful and useful advice and I cant thank you enough for it. Obviously not for this job but for future reference, certainly.

Yeah when got the job I had to send over pictures of my drivers licence, CSCS card, passport etc. They also asked for my national insurance number. If and when it gets to that stage again I'll create the code myself..

Thanks again. Appreciated

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off