ADVICE - Confused/wrong discount date after doing iamRoadSmart Course ?

Convicted Driver Insurance

bilabonic

Hi All

I completed my iamRoadSmart Course last week and had the confirmation letter days later. -25% discount off original ban.

My ban was for 36 months (i have a screenshot of this from months ago).

My ban dates originally were -

Sentencing/Start Date - 02 June 2017
Conviction date - 30 May 2017
End date - 01 June 2020

Therefore i was expecting it to be updated to a 27 month ban (25% of 36=9....36-9=27)

This would therefore give me a date (using online calc) of new date being 02 September 2019.

I have just checked online and my ban length has been updated it is now 2 years, 3 months, 22 days with an end date of 23 September 2019 NOT the 02 September as i expected............

Therefore the courts ARE wrong imo......

Anyone advise.....

Pics attached..

Cheers

Attachments

• Original ban 36 months.JPG
    Original ban 36 months.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Correct date with 27 month Ban.JPG
    Correct date with 27 month Ban.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Updated ban date wrong after course discount.JPG
    Updated ban date wrong after course discount.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 7
I think you will find that the answer is that the court awarded you a 36 week reduction, NOT a 9 month reduction.
The court have to give a minimum of a 3 month reduction on a 12 month ban. After that, it is UP TO a 25% reduction and many courts simply award the a reduction by the number of weeks as regards the number of months. This make bans like 27 or 33 months easy to work out.

I think you will find that the answer is that the court awarded you a 36 week reduction, NOT a 9 month reduction.
The court have to give a minimum of a 3 month reduction on a 12 month ban. After that, it is UP TO a 25% reduction and many courts simply award the a reduction by the number of weeks as regards the number of months. This make bans like 27 or 33 months easy to work out.

Thanks for reply, i have spoken to the DVLA/Courts and it is indeed a 36 week reduction (i have the orig court papers).....My argument is that is INFORMED in court and i have it in my records from Solicitor that i would receive a 25% reduction.

I have had a 23% reduction (36/156)100=23.08%.

To ADD further confusion i am unsure of what date to use when applying for insurance as i now have 3 dates!

On the DVLA website i have-

Conviction Date -30th May 2017
Sentencing Date -02 June 2017

On my court Paper i have a code/DVLA Code DR30 -11/05/2017 ??

That has me more confused tbh.....

Cheers

I would take that as the date of the offence being 11th May rather than the date of sentence?

I would take that as the date of the offence being 11th May rather than the date of sentence?

Even though the DVLA have no record of the 11th?

It was only by coincidence that i spotted it tbh...

I can't recall what they actually ask on insurance sites, i presume it's any convictions and conviction date.

Who do insurers check with? DVLA or the court that sentenced you??

I have the official court letter dated 02 June 2017 -Notice of disqualification, case number, Driver number, Order 36 month ban, signed by Clerk to the Justices.

It was only by CHANCE i looked on the reverse where i spotted the 'Offences and Orders' part... That contains -

Case no.
DVLA Code: DR30
11/05/2017 Fail to provide specimen for analysis - vehicle driver

Disqualified for 36 months etc etc

Still none the wiser on what date to give insurers i would of gone by the conviction date or sentencing date on the DVLA site that is readily accessible by simply logging in and NOT by the the 3 year letter i luckily kept from the courts...

Confused.com ................lol

Cheers

Last edited:
I actually got pulled over around 7pm on the 10th May as well, but was probably processed by the Police Station on the 11th....

The relevant date where you are disqualified for an offence is the date of conviction, not the date of the offence. The insurance database is linked to the DVLA, not to the court system.
You can read about it here:

I can confirm the above as I went on a pre-booked 3 weeks holiday the day after I got arrested, and then had to appear in court when I got back from holiday. I even drove to and from the airport. Everything has been based on my date of conviction.

So out of the two conviction dates i have i use the DVLA being the 30th May 2017

I am still baffled as to how they are different? Surely they should be the same??

Obviously the sentencing date/the day i actually attended court would differ.....

Cheers guys

As you have indicated, the 11th May date is simply when the offence occurred, it has nothing to do with when you were sentenced, and the sentencing date is the relevant date for DVLA. Otherwise, someone could get several adjournments and be found guilty 9 months later, given a 12 month ban and, having done the Drink Drive course, they are not banned at all. That is a bit of an exaggeration but illustrates why the ban always runs from the date you are sentenced.
If the date of offence was relevant, then you found that you were driving whilst disqualified before you were in court for the offence. A ban cannot be retrospective.

If you look on the first page of your letter from the court, it will say “you were disqualified from drivingon (date) for a period of (months) with a reduction of (weeks) if you successfully complete a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course (if you were offered one)
The letter will have a date on it. That is probably different as well, sent a couple of days after you were in court. Then DVLA write to you, confirming your ban and asking you to sent them your licence if you did not surrender it to the court. That will have a date on it when it was issued. That date is not relevant, neither is the date of the offence or the court letter.

That makes perfect sense now, perfectly explained.
I was offered the course and completed it.
With regards my license i still have it, somewhere...I did take it to court but was not asked to offer it?
So i presume i just apply as normal with the DR1??

Historically you had to give your licence so the points or disqualification could be written on. The legal requirement is still there but pragmatically many courts seem not to bother to ask for it seeing as they endorse it electronically now. Having the photocard doesn't affect your ban, but it can be useful for photo ID.

You are correct that you just apply for insurance declaring the ban like any other motoring offence. However, I assume given the length of ban you will be required to complete a high risk offender medical before your licence is returned? If so don't apply for insurance in advance as although the DVLA start the process three months before the end of your ban, whether they reach a decision before the end of your ban depends on how quickly your GP returns the questionnaire.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off