Advice Appreciated

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hadanightmare

Hello Everyone.
Unfortunately last week I was caught drink driving.
I picked my friend up from work and we headed out for our first post lockdown drink. I had fully intended to leave my car in town and walk home, but I had a few wines too many and and my next memory is being stopped by the police, I hadn’t even left the carpark. I had only had 4 glasses of wine but the alcohol had an unusual affect on me.
I blew 92 at the station, I was fully cooperative and to be honest the police couldn’t have been kinder to me on the night.
I’m obviously very sorry, it’s completely out of character for me to take a risk like that and I will be pleading guilty. It’s just one of those life lessons and I’m grateful that no one got hurt.
I have decided to just chance it with a duty solicitor but I need some advice with my mitigation. I know I’m looking at a lengthy ban and a fine but if there’s anything I can say to limit the damage. Please help!
Thanks in advance.

Drink Driving Penalty
Details of offence as provided by you:
  • Specimen Type: breath
  • Alcohol Level: between 90 and 119
  • No previous drink driving related convictions within the proceeding 10 years
  • You have not been disqualified two or more times for 56 days or more within the proceeding 3 years
Based on the information you provided above, upon conviction of driving with excess alcohol, Magistrates' sentencing guidelines suggest:
  • A driving disqualification of 23 - 28 months; and
  • A Low to high level community order
Classed as High Risk Offender
Because the level of alcohol in your system exceeded 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine you will be classed as a high risk offender.

High risk offenders are required to take and pass a DVLA Medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of their driving driving disqualification.
Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course
All courts usually offer first time offenders the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. A court may allow an offender to take the course a second time where there is a good reason to do so. Offenders will not usually be offered a chance to take the course for a third time. Completing the course can reduce any disqualification period imposed by up to 25%.
Enter New Information

The guidelines are 23-28 months ban, and a community penalty or maybe a large fine if you are not suitable / nothing available because of Covid19.
you can reduce that by up to 25% if you are offered and accept a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course (Ask for it if not offered as this has to be offered before your case ends)
Look smart, take a couple of references from employer or someone of standing in the community, not family as they carry little weight.
seek out the duty solicitor as soon as you check in at court. They can be busy and representation is not guaranteed... with your reading they may well represent you and it is free!

Thanks for your replies. I haven't had any further correspondence from the court/ police as to what I need to take with me, driving licence I presume? My employer would like to provide me with a character reference, are there any templates? Would I need to produce this prior to my court date?
Many thanks!

Take your licence. References are handed in on the day to the magistrates.
there isn’t a template, just get them to write honestly about you, saying about it being out or character, no previous work issues with alcohol, keeping you on as an employee because of your reliability..... Things like that.

Just an update. I received a letter yesterday that due to Covid-19 my court date has been postponed until Nov. Good news I hope.
The experience has shaken me up and I only drive to and from work these days, the rest of the time I walk.
Thanks for your help.

Just an update for anyone who finds this thread.
I was disqualified for 23months reduced when I carry out a drink driving awareness course.
I was fined £336 with £34 victims surcharge and £85 court costs. I personally think it was very harsh considering I didn’t have an accident or cause injury plus it was a very short distance driven but it’ll definitely prevent me from making the same mistake twice.
Also advice for anyone in the same position, do your research, prepare your own letter of mitigation, ask friends and employers for character references as they help. I declined the help of a duty solicitor on the day as he was going to suggest to the magistrates that I was given an electronic tag.
Thanks for your help.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off