Admiral....

Convicted Driver Insurance
So add in: Is the vehicle still drivable? Has the vehicle already been repaired?
It doesn’t have to be ‘sign or else” you are entitled to ask for some idea of the commitment you would be making.
You wouldn’t sign a contract for a car you were buying if you were told: “we cant give you the full cost yet, because there may be extras added but we will advise you the final price after you have accepted the car.
Yes both cars involved were still drivable, police confirmed this and said ‘minor damage’

Just to add, unlike yourself, I’m not sure I’ve much to rely on to end up timing out. It’s pretty cut and dry. Absolutely my fault, positive breath test, no passengers/medicals.. can’t see where they’ll go wrong apart from inflating things hugely.

I’m actually not massively opposed to paying up, I am a little frustrated the clause is there, especially because I didn’t intentionally D&D. I know intent is totally irrelevant, but I did believe I was safe. A college friend died as a result from DD, and I should have been more careful, I just clearly was ignorant as to how long alcohol stays in your system. I was surprised at my reading. Suppose it doesn’t help that I’m an incredibly slim female who doesn’t drink often, with a few health conditions to boot.

I also have no issue paying for damage that I’ve caused, my issue is it being probably about 5x what it should actually cost.

I know one day it’ll be over, but I can’t see a way forward right now. Not in a nice place.

As always, thank you to everyone offering support, advice & opinions. Big love

That's clear.

What you need to do then is make damn sure they don't overcharge or take the line of least resistance.
Normally a claims management company deal with the claim, your insurer pays up with little or no challenge.
You want to make sure they don't follow this default path and do everything to ensure the costs are fair.
Definitely request your own independent assessment of the damage through your friend.
Some insurers or claims management companies want to charge extra for repairs done by a firm not on their approved list.
It will probably still be cheaper to get your mate to sort out the repair. That's if the vehicle isn't already repaired or sold as a write off.

I'll keep repeating this because I think it's a valid/good idea - If it is written off I'd want to take ownership of the vehicle, or get a refund to the value of what they sold it for.

Do you have the registration number? It's worth checking if it's still on the road.

That's clear.

What you need to do then is make damn sure they don't overcharge or take the line of least resistance.
Normally a claims management company deal with the claim, your insurer pays up with little or no challenge.
You want to make sure they don't follow this default path and do everything to ensure the costs are fair.
Definitely request your own independent assessment of the damage through your friend.
Some insurers or claims management companies want to charge extra for repairs done by a firm not on their approved list.
It will probably still be cheaper to get your mate to sort out the repair. That's if the vehicle isn't already repaired or sold as a write off.

I'll keep repeating this because I think it's a valid/good idea - If it is written off I'd want to take ownership of the vehicle, or get a refund to the value of what they sold it for.

Do you have the registration number? It's worth checking if it's still on the road.
When I first spoke to them about the claim they said to me they would try and avoid a claims management company getting involved to keep costs down, but that’s before they found out about the DD.

I will request it but surely after a month they’d have dealt with it one way or another?!

I do yes - is that via a HPI check?

I would expect that it has only been already dealt with and repaired if the insurance had paid out? They are saying they will be asking the 3rd party or sign form as as well.

I would expect that it has only been already dealt with and repaired if the insurance had paid out? They are saying they will be asking the 3rd party or sign form as as well.
Gosh this is confusing, so the car is probably sat there not being fixed until I sign this form, and I’m racking up car hire costs as I go? All because of this change of wording? 🤦‍♀️

If the vehicle is drivable, (and legal) he would only get a car hire for 3-4 days while it is repaired.

No person with any amount of legal knowledge would advise a person to ignore paperwork where there are potential legal proceedings to follow. If it did end up in court, one of the tests for punitive damages is the test of ‘reasonableness’ in each parties conduct during the matter. That is why it is important that the poster responds. It is a matter for her as to how she responds.
The insurance company may have an obligation to pay (but the change in the policy wording could put that in doubt) but in any civil matter, if you cause a person or company a loss, they are entitled to sue for that loss. The fact that they have to pay out does not mean that they cannot seek to recover that loss from the person who caused the loss.
Their position is that by driving over the limit her insurance is void. It says so in the policy she accepted. Why should they be out of pocket for an uninsured loss when they can sue her to recover their loss?
Bin it let it go to court pay 5 pound a month dont worry why complicate things all the time price its cut and dry 🙄

Bin it let it go to court pay 5 pound a month dont worry why complicate things all the time price its cut and dry 🙄
PLEASE STOP with the bad advice. You do not know if the poster has assets including a house that could be ordered to use to pay.
If there is a judgement entered, they are entitled to ask for a means asssessment to disclose the ability to pay. If the person refuses to do this, they can make an attachment of earnings order or bailiffs can be sent round to enforce a debt, and due to the likely amount in this claim they could escalate it to the High Court, with costs going up considerably.
You do realise that if a debt is not paid in full within 28 days of a judgement being issued then a CCJ is recorded making any credit or mortgage application to fail for 6 years.
You are giving terrible advice.

Reactions: TPR
If the vehicle is drivable, (and legal) he would only get a car hire for 3-4 days while it is repaired.
I’m not sure about that, the bumper was smashed but it would have driven. How legal it was I have no idea.

So they’ll repair before this form is signed? It would seem crazy to wait for it before fixing.

PLEASE STOP with the bad advice. You do not know if the poster has assets including a house that could be ordered to use to pay.
If there is a judgement entered, they are entitled to ask for a means asssessment to disclose the ability to pay. If the person refuses to do this, they can make an attachment of earnings order or bailiffs can be sent round to enforce a debt, and due to the likely amount in this claim they could escalate it to the High Court, with costs going up considerably.
You do realise that if a debt is not paid in full within 28 days of a judgement being issued then a CCJ is recorded making any credit or mortgage application to fail for 6 years.
You are giving terrible advice.
High court!? Ohh now you’re scaring me!

I don’t want to escalate anywhere, I just want a reasonable figure and a repayment plan 😞

‘Due to the likely amount’ - do you think it’s going to be loads?! It only seemed like it needed a replacement bumper. 😖🔫

Please do not worry about this.
I was trying to show how stupid the advice was from Guygibson and if you followed it, the outcome would not be what he suggested.
It only has to be over £600 to be escalated to high court enforcement bailiffs, but the case doesn’t go to the high court, just the local County Court.
But that is a long way off.
Depressed dad had been through this experience and has done a lot of research into the insurance / drink drive exclusion issues.
I have a pretty good knowledge of legal issues in general, including County Court procedures.
Guygubson is talking more like ‘the man in the pub’. plenty of opinion but no substance to back it up.
At the end of the day, only you can decide what you should do.
A replacement bumper, depending on the model and if colour coding is required, would cost £400-£1800.

Please do not worry about this.
I was trying to show how stupid the advice was from Guygibson and if you followed it, the outcome would not be what he suggested.
It only has to be over £600 to be escalated to high court enforcement bailiffs, but the case doesn’t go to the high court, just the local County Court.
But that is a long way off.
Depressed dad had been through this experience and has done a lot of research into the insurance / drink drive exclusion issues.
I have a pretty good knowledge of legal issues in general, including County Court procedures.
Guygubson is talking more like ‘the man in the pub’. plenty of opinion but no substance to back it up.
At the end of the day, only you can decide what you should do.
A replacement bumper, depending on the model and if colour coding is required, would cost £400-£1800.
Indeed, I think I’ve had enough of anything pub related for a good while now.

Maybe I’m thinking the price is going to be higher than it is, but I know my luck! I think I’ll be relieved if I see anything less than 7, the first time I’ll ever be thankful for a such a fat bill!

I think maybe contacting his insurers is a good idea, maybe they could actually give me an estimate and avoid legal costs. If I entered into an agreement to pay them, would I have chance to query costs/see breakdown beforehand?

I can’t thank you enough for this, this forum has kept me from probably putting myself in an even worse situation. Thank you!

Fantastic advice, allow it to go to court so a judge can place a garnishing order on OP’s wages, seize assets or use a house as leverage. No payment in 28 days then a CCJ is recorded destroying every single credit application, mortgage application, immigration application and home/car insurance monthly payment plan for the next 6 years.

Not everyone has nothing to lose. If you earn so little that you can only leave £5 spare on a court affordability form then yes, maybe that is a suitable course of action but that’s not the reality for most people. Stop giving terrible advice on this forum, you may not give a f**k but the people asking for advice here do.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off