Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hello Depressed dad! I hope you are well! Sorry to hear about all of these problems you have had. Have you had any joy since your last post?

I am in a very similar situation with my named driver.

Very best,

B

Hello Depressed dad! I hope you are well! Sorry to hear about all of these problems you have had. Have you had any joy since your last post?

I am in a very similar situation with my named driver.

Very best,

B

Perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing your story in full first and how you are dealing with it.
Always interested to hear other people experiences.

My named driver drove into a car that was carrying passengers. As with yours, insurance was void as per admiral; Went to court got his punishment for his silliness (I am sure many would say not nearly enough) but won't be driving for a long time. The outlay has been determined to be close to 20k. Very depressing; it will almost certainly ruin me; can they come after me for this?. What to do :(
Any help/guidance/advice would be really appreciated!

Kindest regards,
B

When did it happen?

What have Admiral said?

How are you dealing with it, have you sought legal advice?

What makes up the £20k?

Have you asked for a breakdown of the costs?

When did it happen?

What have Admiral said?

How are you dealing with it, have you sought legal advice?

What makes up the £20k?

Have you asked for a breakdown of the costs?

Depressed dad, thanks for the response. I haven't sought legal advice so I am a bit reluctant to share particulars. I haven't asked for break down they have just said it's their outlay. I was hoping for some follow up to what you have already done but shall get back to you once I have more answers.

All the best,

B

Forgive me for not unloading all the latest news but I am reluctant to discuss my sons case in public at this point. Needless to say it has not concluded.

Whenever there is a lull in proceedings there always seems to be a random request for an update. I am sure Admiral read this.

I suggest you seek legal advice.

Were you aware of Admiral's Drink/Drug drive exclusion? If you took the policy out over the phone considering asking for a recording - if they can find it.

They will ask your named driver to sign an indemnity form to accept liability and let their super efficient claims team reduce the costs on your behalf.

Sounds like the claim has already been settled if the costs are known. Get a complete breakdown of the £20k claim. Do they look reasonable?

Depends on the nature of your named drivers accident. Have they smashed into another car and put all the occupants in hosptial?

Have Admiral actually employed any of their own experts to look at the damage or personal injury claim. Did they make a pre-medical offer to the PI claimants?
Was the accident serious enough to cause real injury, or was it an opportunity for the passengers to cash in?

Are there any witness statements, or police report?

I doubt Admiral have done anything other then their usual, least cost claims process and just pay up then ask the driver for the money.

Normally you don't care how much the claim is because the policy covers you. However, when you have to pay out of your own pocket you would like to think there is a lot more diligence and corroboration of the claim.

Forgive me for not unloading all the latest news but I am reluctant to discuss my sons case in public at this point. Needless to say it has not concluded.

Whenever there is a lull in proceedings there always seems to be a random request for an update. I am sure Admiral read this.

I suggest you seek legal advice.

Were you aware of Admiral's Drink/Drug drive exclusion? If you took the policy out over the phone considering asking for a recording - if they can find it.

They will ask your named driver to sign an indemnity form to accept liability and let their super efficient claims team reduce the costs on your behalf.

Sounds like the claim has already been settled if the costs are known. Get a complete breakdown of the £20k claim. Do they look reasonable?

Depends on the nature of your named drivers accident. Have they smashed into another car and put all the occupants in hosptial?

Have Admiral actually employed any of their own experts to look at the damage or personal injury claim. Did they make a pre-medical offer to the PI claimants?
Was the accident serious enough to cause real injury, or was it an opportunity for the passengers to cash in?

Are there any witness statements, or police report?

I doubt Admiral have done anything other then their usual, least cost claims process and just pay up then ask the driver for the money.

Normally you don't care how much the claim is because the policy covers you. However, when you have to pay out of your own pocket you would like to think there is a lot more diligence and corroboration of the claim.

Thanks for the advice depressed dad, much appreciated.

Hi everyone.

I am in a similar situation to a few of you here. I was in a collision with another vehicle last year whilst under the influence of alcohol and was subsequently convicted of drink driving.

My insurance provider was Admiral. They contacted me a few month ago suggesting that I sign their indemnity form and that they would be reclaiming all third party costs back from me. I didn't sign the form. Last month they contacted me stating that they had made third party payment for £11,000 and that if I don't settle within 28 days they will commence legal proceedings.

Has anyone went to court with this yet or had any sort of positive outcome?

Depressed Dad - thank you for all the information/advice you have provided so far in this thread. If you don't mind me asking, has there been updates with your son's situation in the past few months? I'm desperate.

Thanks.

Hi everyone.

I am in a similar situation to a few of you here. I was in a collision with another vehicle last year whilst under the influence of alcohol and was subsequently convicted of drink driving.

My insurance provider was Admiral. They contacted me a few month ago suggesting that I sign their indemnity form and that they would be reclaiming all third party costs back from me. I didn't sign the form. Last month they contacted me stating that they had made third party payment for £11,000 and that if I don't settle within 28 days they will commence legal proceedings.

Has anyone went to court with this yet or had any sort of positive outcome?

Depressed Dad - thank you for all the information/advice you have provided so far in this thread. If you don't mind me asking, has there been updates with your son's situation in the past few months? I'm desperate.

Thanks.

Nothing more to add other than seek legal advice.

Ask for a complete breakdown of the claim and get them to justify it.

Don't ignore official courts papers but make sure you know the difference between official court papers and debt recovery letters.

Any company that is pursuing you for an unpaid debt will weigh up your ability to pay and might be prepared to negotiate rather than just drive you into bankruptcy.

I am in a similar position to many of you. I as of yet do not know how much the 3rd party claims will be settled at but I offcourse do know I will have to pay for my own vehicle.
I was sent an indemnity form and did not sign it. A few weeks later I was informed by my insurance that they will have to settle any 3rd party claims but they did not state whether they will seek to be reimbursed by myself once the claims had been settled. I imagine they will!

If it's set in stone that I am legally obliged to pay them back then why would they try to get me to sign a document in which I agree to indemnify them of all costs? They also mentioned if they didn't deal with the 3rd party claims that I would face CCJ's against me directly...acting asif they don't legally have to deal with the claims and therefore blackmailing me into thinking if I didn't sign the form then people would come after me personally for their money.

Originally when they tried to get me to sign the indemnity form they quoted
'We will not pay more than our legal liability under the relevant traffic legisltion for any claim if the driver insured by us was DUI at the time'

From what I can read in the terms and conditions, where have I actually agreed to compensate the insurance company in such a scenario?

I'm interested to know if anybody has actually gone all the way to court with this. The sums that the 3rd party claims will accumulate to are substantial enough to cripple me. I have a decent job but I'm not prepared to work for 20 years and have to give most of my money to them. I would effectively be a slave to them and would be better of claiming benefits at which point they would never see thier money. Also what if I file for bankruptcy? ...if I were ordered to pay all this money back that's potentially what this would come to as I cannot pay and have no assets. They would never see thier money then either!

I am in a similar position to many of you. I as of yet do not know how much the 3rd party claims will be settled at but I offcourse do know I will have to pay for my own vehicle.
I was sent an indemnity form and did not sign it. A few weeks later I was informed by my insurance that they will have to settle any 3rd party claims but they did not state whether they will seek to be reimbursed by myself once the claims had been settled. I imagine they will!

If it's set in stone that I am legally obliged to pay them back then why would they try to get me to sign a document in which I agree to indemnify them of all costs? They also mentioned if they didn't deal with the 3rd party claims that I would face CCJ's against me directly...acting asif they don't legally have to deal with the claims and therefore blackmailing me into thinking if I didn't sign the form then people would come after me personally for their money.

Originally when they tried to get me to sign the indemnity form they quoted
'We will not pay more than our legal liability under the relevant traffic legisltion for any claim if the driver insured by us was DUI at the time'

From what I can read in the terms and conditions, where have I actually agreed to compensate the insurance company in such a scenario?

I'm interested to know if anybody has actually gone all the way to court with this. The sums that the 3rd party claims will accumulate to are substantial enough to cripple me. I have a decent job but I'm not prepared to work for 20 years and have to give most of my money to them. I would effectively be a slave to them and would be better of claiming benefits at which point they would never see thier money. Also what if I file for bankruptcy? ...if I were ordered to pay all this money back that's potentially what this would come to as I cannot pay and have no assets. They would never see thier money then either!

Which company are you insured with?

I don't want to say as I fear they may check this forum. I would tell you in a PM but not sure how to do this. It is not admiral or an affiliated company but is one of the cheaper companies available.
You seem to know a lot about this, it would be great if I could speke to you about it. Are you still fighting it or has it been settled now? I know exactly how you feel and can only sympathise

I don't want to say as I fear they may check this forum. I would tell you in a PM but not sure how to do this. It is not admiral or an affiliated company but is one of the cheaper companies available.
You seem to know a lot about this, it would be great if I could speke to you about it. Are you still fighting it or has it been settled now? I know exactly how you feel and can only sympathise

I am not qualified to give advice. You need to seek legal help. Find a solicitor who knows contract law and can perhaps provide an initial consultation free of charge. You could also consider going to Citizens Advice Bureau.

Have you read through the terms and conditions of your policy?

What does it say about accidents where you are at fault and over the drink drive limit?

Thanks I will be seeking legal advice and I am going to the CAB tomorrow. I appreciate your reply.

Under general exclusions it states:
'We will not pay more than our legal liability under the relevant road traffic legislation for any claim, if the driver of your car insured by us was found to have been driving whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident'

Thanks I will be seeking legal advice and I am going to the CAB tomorrow. I appreciate your reply.

Under general exclusions it states:
'We will not pay more than our legal liability under the relevant road traffic legislation for any claim, if the driver of your car insured by us was found to have been driving whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident'

So it doesn't say they'll try to reclaim the money from you.

Their legal liability is to pay for the damage you caused to the third party vehicle/property and any related third party personal injury claims.

They won't pay for the damage you caused to your own vehicle/property.

You may get off lightly. It is a significant enough term/condition in the policy for them to state it very specifically that they will seek to recoup their outlay from you.
Also, did they explicitly mention this to you when you took the policy out?

Definitely worth raising these points with your legal adviser.

They sent me a mandate which authorised them to take control of the claim but which also said that I agree to pay back all 3rd party claims. I never signed it.
A few weeks later I got another letter saying I would be held responsible for the incident and as such they would have to settle any 3rd party claims. It also stated no updates would be required in terms of liability and the settling of any 3rd party claims. It did not mention if they would be pursuing me for costs.

In the terms/conditions it also states
What is not covered: any legal liability if any person insured under this section dose not keep to the terms, exceptions and conditions of the policy

General conditions: if, under the law of any country this policy covers you in, we have to make a payment which we otherwise would not have paid under this policy, we may recover any claim payment from you.

As you say it certainly isn't very clear at all.

They didn't specifically make this clear when I took out the policy it was done online.

It's interesting that in a thread that has been going on since 2011 and with numerous responses from people in similar situations there is not one instance of a 'result' from somebody; be that either paying up or being taken to court.

I also had an insurance policy with Admiral who are looking to reclaim 3rd party expenses using the exact policy line Depressed Dad mentions in his opening post all those years ago. I am at pains to disclose full details of the incident having read that their may be some prying eyes. I will say that it did not involve any medical claims and I would suggest was a fairly straight forward case of which I paid for all costs involving my own motor. This was over 3 years ago. I have challenged the insurer on various parts of the breakdown of costs and requested full invoices and quotations to back this up since then. These were eventually provided but when calculated did not add up to the sum Admiral put to me and only led to more questions on how they served my best interests. This has continued to go back and forth at around 6 month intervals with various deductions and 'discounts' made to the original claim against me. This then tends to be followed with a threat: that if I don't pay by a set date, they will contact their solicitors and could result in legal proceedings. This is obviously the fear for us all; determining whether it is a scare tactic and elaborate game of bluff or very real possibility.

As a side note, in the drink driving course I attended as part of my sentence I was actually recommended by the instructor to ignore their requests - they had my money that I paid when I was insured and that was what covered the third party for the accident I was involved in.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off