Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi @TCB1989 - I had a breakdown, it was an older car that was written off so it's essentially vehicle damage and excess. The case was later dismissed so of course never had any fines or bans to contend with.

I've just had a big outlay so don't have a spare £2k sitting around right now, so am hoping it doesn't actually go any further.

If you think there's any mileage in it you can challenge the £2k.
It's a relatively small amount so probably not much to reduce it by.

If you want it to go away and avoid the stress then negotiate a payment plan. Offer them an amount that you wouldn't really miss each month, as low as you like. Decide if you are prepared to provide them with your financial data when they ask. You are not obliged to share it if you don't want to.

Alternatively, you can drag it out, plead poverty and any other mitigating reasons and see if they really have the appetite to start court proceedings. Even then you can settle before it goes before a judge. Probably not enough for you to challenge them on in court though.

Hi I was involved ina crash which was not my fault. The front of my car is a complete rite off. I blew over at the road side and 38 at the station then was let off with no charge or not further action.

What I would like to know if will my insurance pay out?

These are my insurance terms and conditions, I can not tell my self from reading it.

Any advice would be appreciated so much.

- https://eu-assets.contentstack.com/...3/RSA_Cover_Booklet_Car_01-21_Web_Version.pdf

Hi I was involved ina crash which was not my fault. The front of my car is a complete rite off. I blew over at the road side and 38 at the station then was let off with no charge or not further action.

What I would like to know if will my insurance pay out?

These are my insurance terms and conditions, I can not tell my self from reading it.

Any advice would be appreciated so much.

- https://eu-assets.contentstack.com/...3/RSA_Cover_Booklet_Car_01-21_Web_Version.pdf
You haven’t been disqualified and no charges against you? I’ve seen other posts and other users telling you, don’t worry, the other driver was at fault and you weren’t charged……

You haven’t been disqualified and no charges against you? I’ve seen other posts and other users telling you, don’t worry, the other driver was at fault and you weren’t charged……
Worth noting my case was also dismissed, no ban, no fine etc etc but Admiral are still pursuing me.

You should be OK for two reasons.

Firstly, it wasn't your fault. The claim is against the other driver not you. If they are uninsured it goes through MIB.

Secondly, if for some reason it is a claim on your insurance then your policy with RSA only excludes a claim if you are convicted of a DD offence.
Admiral set a lower bar of being over the prescribed limit.

Yes, but People on this post have been saying that if you were over the limit charged or not the insurance do not pay out!

You should be OK for two reasons.

Firstly, it wasn't your fault. The claim is against the other driver not you. If they are uninsured it goes through MIB.

Secondly, if for some reason it is a claim on your insurance then your policy with RSA only excludes a claim if you are convicted of a DD offence.
Admiral set a lower bar of being over the prescribed limit.
Thankyou for you reply. I am getting so many mixed messages I’m unsure what to think. I’ve had to make a claim due to my car wheel completely gone under and the bumper is broken so not drivable. I also need a hire car which they are providing. My only worry is that of corse they are going to ask for the police report. Which clearly will state I was arrested at the seen for blowing over the legal limit.

Thankyou for you reply. I am getting so many mixed messages I’m unsure what to think. I’ve had to make a claim due to my car wheel completely gone under and the bumper is broken so not drivable. I also need a hire car which they are providing. My only worry is that of corse they are going to ask for the police report. Which clearly will state I was arrested at the seen for blowing over the legal limit.

The policy document you provided a link to states on page 24, chapter 4, paragraph J that they do not provide cover if you are CONVICTED of a drink driving offence. It does not say 'over the prescribed limit'

Police only charge you if you blow 40 or over.
Prescribed limit is 35.

If you haven't been charged and convicted your insurance will cover the damage.

However, you say it wasn't your fault.
Who's fault is it?

The policy document you provided a link to states on page 24, chapter 4, paragraph J that they do not provide cover if you are CONVICTED of a drink driving offence. It does not say 'over the prescribed limit'

Police only charge you if you blow 40 or over.
Prescribed limit is 35.

If you haven't been charged and convicted your insurance will cover the damage.

However, you say it wasn't your fault.
Who's fault is it?
Ok hopefully I am ok then.

I was driving straight and the other driver was parked on the left hand side in a parking space he pulled out with out waiting for me to let him go. I have pictures of him clearly over his parking line going towards my lane.

Ok hopefully I am ok then.

I was driving straight and the other driver was parked on the left hand side in a parking space he pulled out with out waiting for me to let him go. I have pictures of him clearly over his parking line going towards my lane.
Yes, you certainly should be OK.

You should be claiming off their insurance company, but only if they have admitted liability.

You should be claiming off their insurance company, but only if they have admitted liability.

Thankyou so much for your replies.

This is a mobility car also, so not only the worry of the insurance but also weather mobility will kick me off the insurance now as I blew the legal limit :(

These are mobility’s terms and conditions- https://www.motability.co.uk/get-support/terms-and-conditions/

Thankyou so much for your replies.

This is a mobility car also, so not only the worry of the insurance but also weather mobility will kick me off the insurance now as I blew the legal limit :(

These are mobility’s terms and conditions- https://www.motability.co.uk/get-support/terms-and-conditions/

That document also says it needs a conviction. So you should be OK.

Don't withhold any information from your 'Accident Manager' or insurance company.

That document also says it needs a conviction. So you should be OK.

Don't withhold any information from your 'Accident Manager' or insurance company.
Hi sorry I have one last question if that is ok. If for any reason the other driver and their insurance found out I was over the limit at the road side then 1 hour later 38 at the station, can they request a back calculation and fight to claim that the accident was my fault?

I’ve been reading at lot on this forum this morning, probably shouldn’t I know, as I’m starting to think of all worst case scenarios

First thing is to determine who was at fault.

Their fault and their insurance has to pay whatever condition you were in.

Your fault, then your insurance pays out for all the damage. No conviction then you're on solid ground. Up to the police to do a back calculation then prosecute, not up to insurance to decide you were over the limit.

50/50 then each insurer pays for their own customers repairs.

If your insurance had the same exclusion wording as Admiral then blowing 40+ at roadside is enough for them to cancel your policy, or use back calculation to determine 'on the balance of probability' you were over. That DOES NOT apply in your case.

Whichever way, your insurance and Motability documents say it needs a CONVICTION, not 'over the prescribed limit'.

Any independent witnesses?
Did the other driver admit fault to you or the Police?

Police report (if you can get it) will say you blew over at the roadside but not charged. It might also help determine who was at fault.

You need to be careful about withholding any information to your insurance company.

First thing is to determine who was at fault.

Their fault and their insurance has to pay whatever condition you were in.

Your fault, then your insurance pays out for all the damage. No conviction then you're on solid ground. Up to the police to do a back calculation then prosecute, not up to insurance to decide you were over the limit.

50/50 then each insurer pays for their own customers repairs.

If your insurance had the same exclusion wording as Admiral then blowing 40+ at roadside is enough for them to cancel your policy, or use back calculation to determine 'on the balance of probability' you were over. That DOES NOT apply in your case.

Whichever way, your insurance and Motability documents say it needs a CONVICTION, not 'over the prescribed limit'.

Any independent witnesses?
Did the other driver admit fault to you or the Police?

Police report (if you can get it) will say you blew over at the roadside but not charged. It might also help determine who was at fault.

You need to be careful about withholding any information to your insurance company.
Ok so I actually didn’t mention to my insurance that I was arrested. They did not ask? As I was not charged I thought it’s not necessary to tell them? As I have not officially committed criminal offence.
Should I ring up now and tell them do you think?
I reported the accident Saturday, basically just stating the driver pulled out and gave his reg ect, also told them witnesses at local shop are willing to say they seen him pull out.

Do insurance companies always ask for police reports?

The other drivers defence was “I was indicating to pull out”
My defence “ weather your indicating or not you have to wait for a driver to stop and let you go”

Well that sounds like a compelling case that the other driver was at fault. You had right of way.

Up to you if you want to disclose it all. If the other party denies liability I guess they are likely to mention the arrest and claim it was your fault.

I suppose you could use the 'Sorry I didn't think it was relevant as it was his fault' argument and apologise profusely.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off