Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
I didn't know about the 40mg prosecution threshold. Makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow.

The Drink and Drug clause doesn't require a conviction, you just need to be over the 35mg limit.
I guess they will focus on the higher reading too at 39mg.

Admiral must surely have settled the third party claim by now. They have to under the road traffic act.

Presumably they've not asked you to pay for anything yet and you haven't been asked to sign the indemnity form.

I don't know if they can have cancelled your policy. Technically no cover is provided under the policy. Unless they told you they cancelled the policy you won't have to declare it to future insurers. Take care to answer the questions truthfully.

It's been over three years since the accident and I am not aware of any other case where they haven't already started pursuit within a few months.
You can never tell with Admiral what they will do next but I would sit tight and wait. They have 6 years from the date of the accident to take you to a civil court. You're at least half way through that.
Hi depressed dad, I’ve offered a payment plan to admiral & they have now asked to see mortgage statements, bank statements etc .. legally do I have to send that?

Hi depressed dad, I’ve offered a payment plan to admiral & they have now asked to see mortgage statements, bank statements etc .. legally do I have to send that?

Intrigued about the answers to this, I will be having the costs recovered from me by admiral, it will at least be a £3000/£4000, I find it very personal that they are asking for mortgage statements as this is confidential financial information? What is the sum you are meant to be returning to them?

What they are doing is assessing if your offer of £xxx per month is sufficient, bearing in mind your financial circumstances. If finances are really tight it would do no harm to show them this, but you are under no obligation to.

Intrigued about the answers to this, I will be having the costs recovered from me by admiral, it will at least be a £3000/£4000, I find it very personal that they are asking for mortgage statements as this is confidential financial information? What is the sum you are meant to be returning to them?
Around 10k mark - hmm I thought the same, not sure whether I actually have to provide this info

Around 10k mark - hmm I thought the same, not sure whether I actually have to provide this info
What make you even think that you HAVE to provide this information?
I indicated that you have no obligation to. even if you lost the case if it went to court, they would just order you to pay the amount, not enquire about your ability to pay. That only happens in a criminal court.

I indicated that you have no obligation to. even if you lost the case if it went to court, they would just order you to pay the amount, not enquire about your ability to pay. That only happens in a criminal court.
No that’s the reason I was querying as they have asked for this informatu
because they have asked me to supply it, so I didn’t know whether I was in a position to refuse to or not hence querying on here

Hi everyone,

I did read the whole thread but not sure if I found my answer. This is my situation, I received a letter from a third party solicitor that asked me to £9000 within 7 days otherwise they will take me to court (my accident was Nov 2019, parked car no injuries, not convicted but was over the limit), first thing I did was contact Elephant insurance and explain the situation, this is when they replied back with the Consent and indemnity form. I am not 100% sure if I’m better off siging in as I can see that most people on this thread said not to (I am also worried that they will make the overall price higher) or if I am better of going to court with the third party and just agree to court that I will make minimal payments per month (I’m aware this will add court charges too)

I don’t have a solicitor and I’m not sure if I should get one for this matter. I am just about to have a new baby and I am now paying all bills and morgage on my own as my partner is off work so extremely stressful time.
Don’t get me wrong I have not done anything like that since and would never do again.

I would appreciate all your help.
Thank you

Forward the letter to Elephant, and advise the solicitors that you have done that.
Elephant have a legal obligation to settle third party claims, but they may be able to chase you subsequently to re inburse them.

Hi all, sadly my son was arrested and bailed at the weekend for drink driving. No one else involved and no damage to the pole he hit. His insurance is with Admiral. My question is this:
His car is financed, will it be the finance company that will chase for the full payment for the car as Admiral will declare the policy void? I’m assuming it will be a write off, thanks for any advice offered.

Hi all, sadly my son was arrested and bailed at the weekend for drink driving. No one else involved and no damage to the pole he hit. His insurance is with Admiral. My question is this:
His car is financed, will it be the finance company that will chase for the full payment for the car as Admiral will declare the policy void? I’m assuming it will be a write off, thanks for any advice offered.
The short answer is Yes

Agree with CPWP, Insurance companies do not pay out for a persons‘ own vehicle if they were over the legal limit when they crashed. The car is on finance, the finance still needs to be paid, it is not their fault the car is not available to use.
A costly crash for him!

Many thanks for the responses. An affair of the heart has cost him dearly but don’t think I’m sympathetic, I’m not. Every action has a consequence. He now has to face up to it.

Agree with CPWP, Insurance companies do not pay out for a persons‘ own vehicle if they were over the legal limit when they crashed. The car is on finance, the finance still needs to be paid, it is not their fault the car is not available to use.
A costly crash for him!
Hello price Direct Line did pay out for damage to my hire car and the 3rd party car that I bumped. Im not sure if I just landed lucky by being insured by them but they did pay.

You are not obliged to disclose your finances. I refused to disclose my son's financial information. They are just fishing for affordability and likelihood of getting money out of you.

If they win in civil proceedings you will end up with a CCJ.
Admiral can then apply for an order for you to disclose your finances.
That's my understanding from looking into it a while back.

Forward the letter to Elephant, and advise the solicitors that you have done that.
Elephant have a legal obligation to settle third party claims, but they may be able to chase you subsequently to re inburse them.

Absolutely. Never deal directly with 3rd party. Pass on the correspondence to your insurer. If you enter into discussions with the third party then your insurer might leave you to settle rather than fulfilling (as Price1367 says) their legal obligation under the Road Traffic Act to pay for third party claims. Doesn't stop Elephant (an Admiral Group company) coming after but at least they have to settle on your behalf without you getting involved.

Hi, my son is about to have his policy made void due to his drink driving offence. If he rings up will Admiral let him cancel so he doesn’t have further issues down the line due to a policy being made void? Any thoughts would be appleeciated, thank you

He will definitely be better cancelling the policy, if admiral void the policy he will have to declare that for years on any new Policies

He will definitely be better cancelling the policy, if admiral void the policy he will have to declare that for years on any new Policies
So if he voids his policy who will pay for the claim? The accident happened whilst the policy was active.

Admiral do not void the policy for DD. They have to pay the third party claim.
They won’t pay for damage to your own car.

So if he voids his policy who will pay for the claim? The accident happened whilst the policy was active.

Admiral do not void the policy for DD. They have to pay the third party claim.
They won’t pay for damage to your own car.
admiral will void the policy when he tells them about the drink driving, but of course they will have to pay the 3rd party claim, they are not going to void it to avoid (!!) paying out, just to not continue the policy from when they are informed of the drink driving. Are we saying the same thing, but differently?

admiral will void the policy when he tells them about the drink driving, but of course they will have to pay the 3rd party claim, they are not going to void it to avoid (!!) paying out, just to not continue the policy from when they are informed of the drink driving. Are we saying the same thing, but differently?
I am not convinced cancelling the policy will avoid someone pursuing you, perhaps more aggressively rather than letting it run its course.
Maybe it’ll work but I’m not convinced. Where does the liability under the policy Terms and conditions start and end?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off