Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hey all I hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread.

I crashed last Thursday and blew 97 on the roadside but due to inconclusive breaths at the station I now have a potential three month wait for bloods. I am not coping well to say the least.

I have just been to collect everything from my car and just need some advice. The airbags etc went off and probably a write off, not that I will need the car for a long time anyway but do I need to put it through Admiral anyway or can I just have it scrapped?

Hey all I hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread.

I crashed last Thursday and blew 97 on the roadside but due to inconclusive breaths at the station I now have a potential three month wait for bloods. I am not coping well to say the least.

I have just been to collect everything from my car and just need some advice. The airbags etc went off and probably a write off, not that I will need the car for a long time anyway but do I need to put it through Admiral anyway or can I just have it scrapped?
Did you damage anything other than your own car, or injure anyone?

Admiral won't pay up for your vehicle but they will have to settle any third party claims against you.

I hit a crash barrier on the motorway. The recovery man today said the highways agency will probably contact admiral anyway to get money back for that.

I didn’t injure anyone…. Luckily.
I am happy to just write the car off and be done with it to be honest. I struggled to even look at it today .

I hit a crash barrier on the motorway. The recovery man today said the highways agency will probably contact admiral anyway to get money back for that.

I didn’t injure anyone…. Luckily.
I am happy to just write the car off and be done with it to be honest. I struggled to even look at it today .

They'll probably come after you for the repairs to the crash barrier.

Would you put the claim in through admiral for the car , I know I won’t get anything for it, but do I have to process it through them? Or scrap outside of them

Would you put the claim in through admiral for the car , I know I won’t get anything for it, but do I have to process it through them? Or scrap outside of them
No you don't have to make a claim but you should probably inform them of the incident.

Hey All, I’ve recently been sent a letter to sign an indemnity form for an accident which took place over 2 years ago now . After reading through this forum I decided to ignore this letter .

However , 21 days later Admiral sent a follow up letter stating that they would give me an additional 21 days to sign the indemnity form once again.

I was unfortunately over the drink driving limit and therefore when I had gotten into an accident I was obviously deemed liable for it due to this reason.

The 3rd party which was involved was a taxi driver (the damages were minimal and the driver seemed fine. Luckily no passengers were in the taxi at the time also ) . I am not expecting anything from my insurer as I have fixed and restored my car (which has far worse damages) at my own cost already .

I had heard nothing from Admiral since 2020 until now 2023 . I was just wondering what anyone would suggest I do .

1. should I sign this indemnity form ?
  2. Should I ask questions to Admiral before I do sign the indemnity form ?
  3. What should I do generally ?
I no longer live in the UK and therefore was just wondering if that has any bearing on my situation

I’m hoping for some suggestions from peoples experience as to the best cause of action .

Thank you everyone
You need to seek legal advice before you sign the indemnity.

The FSA consider the terms to be fair. The FOS are looking into my complaint but not hopeful of success.

I am not aware of anyone that has been to court, probably because of the extra costs involved. Most people seem to make an arrangement to pay before getting to court.

You need to ask Admiral for all of the details relating to the settlement of the claim and decide if they truly have acted in your best interest, or gone down the path of least resistance and not challenged the costs being claimed. They are pretty inept in my experience. They just accept the other parties claims without doing proper checks and challenges.

After going through this I recommend that in future you read the terms and conditions from cover to cover and make sure you understand them and accept them. Never choose a product on price alone. There are much better companies with better products out there.

AVOID the PIRATES with their jolly little adverts.
Thank you DD for assisting so many people through a terrible time.
It hurts deeply when it is your son or relative you are trying to get through this.

Hey All, I’ve recently been sent a letter to sign an indemnity form for an accident which took place over 2 years ago now . After reading through this forum I decided to ignore this letter .

However , 21 days later Admiral sent a follow up letter stating that they would give me an additional 21 days to sign the indemnity form once again.

I was unfortunately over the drink driving limit and therefore when I had gotten into an accident I was obviously deemed liable for it due to this reason.

The 3rd party which was involved was a taxi driver (the damages were minimal and the driver seemed fine. Luckily no passengers were in the taxi at the time also ) . I am not expecting anything from my insurer as I have fixed and restored my car (which has far worse damages) at my own cost already .

I had heard nothing from Admiral since 2020 until now 2023 . I was just wondering what anyone would suggest I do .

1. should I sign this indemnity form ?
  2. Should I ask questions to Admiral before I do sign the indemnity form ?
  3. What should I do generally ?
I no longer live in the UK and therefore was just wondering if that has any bearing on my situation

I’m hoping for some suggestions from peoples experience as to the best cause of action .

I am not a legal expert (far from it) but based on previous cases on here it appears to make no difference if you sign. They will try to reduce the claim whether you sign it or not. They look after their own interests, not yours.

Ask them if the claim has already been settled. After 2 years I'm guessing it has. They just want your signature to promise to pay up.

Ask for the details of the claim. There will be a claim for damage to the taxi, personal injury to the driver and associated medical costs and credit hire charges for a temporary vehicle. Make sure there are no claims for passengers.

All the claims are likely to appear higher than you'd expect. Challenge them and ask for a breakdown and justification for the costs.

They have 6 years from the time of the incident to take you to court.

If you have moved abroad it will make it more difficult for them to pursue you for a settlement but beware any court proceedings against you. An undefended case is likely to lead to a County Court Judgment against you which will affect your UK credit rating for 6 years. However, I doubt they will go to the trouble and expense of pursuing you in another country.

Could anyone enlighten me to what happens when they withdraw indemnity. At a guess I'm expecting the claim to be well with in the hundreds of thousands and I'm not even in a position to even pay 1% of that. Don't even think bankruptcy is a possibility due to it being a personal injury claim. I honestly thought prison would be the worst outcome of my mistake a few year ago.

What di
Could anyone enlighten me to what happens when they withdraw indemnity. At a guess I'm expecting the claim to be well with in the hundreds of thousands and I'm not even in a position to even pay 1% of that. Don't even think bankruptcy is a possibility due to it being a personal injury claim. I honestly thought prison would be the worst outcome of my mistake a few year ago.
What did you do that would push a claim into the hundreds of thousands? Was the innocent party severely injured and permanently disabled, or did you demolish a building?

What di

What did you do that would push a claim into the hundreds of thousands? Was the innocent party severely injured and permanently disabled, or did you demolish a building?

Severely injured, various broken bones and fractures. With the accident having took place near on 3 year ago I would've of thought it would have been settled, especially as they've just recently told me regarding the indemnity but seems the claim is still open.

Are they saying they are cutting you adrift?
If so I assume you'll be treated as an 'uninsured' driver.
In that case the third party would need to take you to court to seek a judgment against you. Your insurer is typically a co-defendant and they usually seek to get involved in fighting the claim, or reducing the sun being claimed.
Your insurer will then be required to settle the claim if it's not paid within 6 weeks of the judgment. They can then seek the money back from you.
That's how it is supposed to work, as I understand it.
What usually happens is the insurer steps in early to settle the claim before it goes to court.

Pretty sure your insurer can't avoid having to settle on your behalf.

I suspect they'll ask you to agree to a repayment plan. Doubt they can have much leverage without them taking you back to court to get an attachment to earnings or a charge on any property you have.

I could of course be completely wrong which is why you need to seek professional help!

Hi,
After paying for a £600 12 month comprehensive policy my daughter had a DD incident a month into her policy in November 2020. Her car scraped a parked, unoccupied vehicle and caused minimal damage. We reported the incident to Admiral who subsequently wrote back to confirm she had breached the Drink and Drugs clause and no cover would be given and instead, liability would be restricted to meeting the obligations as required by Road traffic Law and they would cancel her policy. They were unable to provide indemnity for the incident, unable to deal with her claim and unable to continue cover for her.
Then we received another email on 4 October 2021 advising us the third parties had incurred financial losses. They were obliged to satisfy any any unsatisfied Court Judgements arising out of this incident. They were not obliged to deal with any claim until an unsatisfied Judgement is entered against her, but are then entitled to to recover these losses from her. However, if she were to sign the attached consent and indemnity from they would act on her behalf enabling them to take control of the third party costs. We ignored this email. We have today received another one with the same spiel. We are considering knocking on the third party's door and offer to pay for the damage they incurred which would have been minimal. What do you think? Would this mean we could get the case closed?

I wonder if they have changed their approach.

What they say above is how it should work. Third party takes you to Court and Admiral have to step in to settle the CCJ, then pursue you for the money.

What they have typically done is engage the third party at the earliest opportunity and get them to sign an A&A form so they can settle the claim directly. Then pursue you.
In parallel they try to get you to sign the indemnity form, to hook you into promising the pay.

There is no need to go through the insurance. You can settle it directly with the third party if they are willing to engage. They might prefer to use a claims management company and that's where you'll get striped up.

I wonder if they have changed their approach.

What they say above is how it should work. Third party takes you to Court and Admiral have to step in to settle the CCJ, then pursue you for the money.

What they have typically done is engage the third party at the earliest opportunity and get them to sign an A&A form so they can settle the claim directly. Then pursue you.
In parallel they try to get you to sign the indemnity form, to hook you into promising the pay.

There is no need to go through the insurance. You can settle it directly with the third party if they are willing to engage. They might prefer to use a claims management company and that's where you'll get striped up.
so depressed dad , im still confused ... do i sign the indemnity form and let admiral deal with it ? or ignore it , and see what happens . i hit a new bmw x5 last week , so expecting a large bill . but will need to take time to pay it i was stupidly just over the limit
thanks

Admiral are on the hook to settle the claim whether you sign or not. It's in there interest to keep the claim as low as possible because there is no guarantee they'll get the money from you.

The official process as I understand it (could be wrong as it can be complex) is that the third party take you to court. If they win and you haven't paid up within 6 weeks then Admiral have to pick up the bill and pursue you for recovery of the money. Court proceedings can add a lot more to the costs.

Court rarely, if ever happens.

They usually engage with the third party as early as possible and try to manage the claim themselves. Often the third party will already be using a claims management company and costs will immediately be inflated.

Bottom line is I've seen no advantage in signing the indemnity form. It means you promising to pay and Admiral saying they'll help you to keeps costs down. In reality you are more likely to reduce the claim by challenging it yourself. Admiral take the line of least effort.

How exactly have folks managed to get Admiral to agree to a lower amount? I have 6 documents they've sent to explain the costs they are charging me, and zero experience in dealing with this sort of thing. Also a poor student so no legal for me lol

I just don't understand how folks have gotten from "we want £15k from you" to "we'll settle for £8k". Anyone want to look at these docs with me 🤣

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off