Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
Read though a lot of the posts and some helpful information, wondering if any one can offer any advice or help who have gone through similar.
Involved in a RTI, blew a 41 roadside. I was taken to hospital so blood tests taken.
Independent analysis result is 74mg/100ml so below the limit. Solicitor has presented this to the police investigation and advised they may use my results as it saves time & money.
Currently Waiting on the police investigation & possible blood analysis, this can take up to 6 months.
My insurance is with admiral who are currently investigating and I am awaiting the outcome. As my blood alcohol limit was below the 80mg, I may not be charged with DD pending police results. I am hoping my policy will he be valid, however reading on here there seems to be variables. the roadside breath test is non-evidential in court so I assume they will have to consider the blood results.
Looking at a costly poor decision on my part to drive after having a drink if I am required to pay for car (write off) 3rd party damage and recovery costs + any legal costs.
Any one experienced similar?
Sorry to hear about your situation mate.

There's a lot of support on this forum. I was in a collision and crashed into three vehicles in march 2021. Admiral have told me a figure laid out to third parties but still waiting for them to recover the costs from me. The figure is currently around £8000, and this will mostly be for restructuring a van that was badly damaged.

Some people here have heard after about 11 months to settle up; others after 2 years, others haven't heard back at all.

Was it your own vehicle you wrote off?

Good luck with it all and remember all the bad feelings will pass before you know it

Henri0000

Sorry to hear about your situation mate.

There's a lot of support on this forum. I was in a collision and crashed into three vehicles in march 2021. Admiral have told me a figure laid out to third parties but still waiting for them to recover the costs from me. The figure is currently around £8000, and this will mostly be for restructuring a van that was badly damaged.

Some people here have heard after about 11 months to settle up; others after 2 years, others haven't heard back at all.

Was it your own vehicle you wrote off?

Good luck with it all and remember all the bad feelings will pass before you know it

Thanks mate, felt terrible about it two weeks ago and obviously worried financially. but i can’t go back and change it so it’s a case of accepting, learning and being grateful no one was Injured and taking some responsibility for my actions.
My car will be a write off based on repair quote and vehicle value. Damage was caused to 3 vehicles (side panels) my car ended up on its side so recovery costs.
Very lucky with my blood alcohol results came back below 80mg/100ml & solicitor seems confident.
I may be charged with driving without due care and get fined + points or a possibility it gets dropped altogether, cctv of the incident shows im not driving reckless/out of control or speeding and it’s very hard to see what caused the accident so it is potentially just that “an accident” .. hence why we we have insurance time will tell after their investigation , obviously my mistake was having a drink earlier in the day and deciding to drive home.
Admiral haven’t been very helpful so far so will see, sounds like a could be waiting a while.

Donwon

Thanks mate, felt terrible about it two weeks ago and obviously worried financially. but i can’t go back and change it so it’s a case of accepting, learning and being grateful no one was Injured and taking some responsibility for my actions.
My car will be a write off based on repair quote and vehicle value. Damage was caused to 3 vehicles (side panels) my car ended up on its side so recovery costs.
Very lucky with my blood alcohol results came back below 80mg/100ml & solicitor seems confident.
I may be charged with driving without due care and get fined + points or a possibility it gets dropped altogether, cctv of the incident shows im not driving reckless/out of control or speeding and it’s very hard to see what caused the accident so it is potentially just that “an accident” .. hence why we we have insurance time will tell after their investigation , obviously my mistake was having a drink earlier in the day and deciding to drive home.
Admiral haven’t been very helpful so far so will see, sounds like a could be waiting

I wish id of got my sample analyzed at the time this waiting for blood results is a killer also ive been told that its marginal ,ive done some bac calculations and it is very close

Henri0000

notified today by Admiral underwriters stating no cover will given under my policy.

Pretty black and white about it.

Quoting the Drink and drug clause
and also their Right of recovery

They have concluded this based on the roadside breath reading of 41, not the blood alcohol result.

Independent a blood results was 74mg/100ml
So that was some positive as potentially I may not be prosecuted for DD.

However this is financially crippling as I am now required to cover costs of the recovery + storage to date, total loss for the vehicle value as it’s a finance car, 3rd party recovery of admiral peruse and any further legal costs I incur. This could be between 35 - 40k

On the plus side I’ll save some money by not drinking …. 🫤

Depressed Dad

notified today by Admiral underwriters stating no cover will given under my policy.

Pretty black and white about it.

Quoting the Drink and drug clause
and also their Right of recovery

They have concluded this based on the roadside breath reading of 41, not the blood alcohol result.

Independent a blood results was 74mg/100ml
So that was some positive as potentially I may not be prosecuted for DD.

However this is financially crippling as I am now required to cover costs of the recovery + storage to date, total loss for the vehicle value as it’s a finance car, 3rd party recovery of admiral peruse and any further legal costs I incur. This could be between 35 - 40k

On the plus side I’ll save some money by not drinking …. 🫤

Admirals position is that you were over the prescribed limit - 35mg. Police prosecute at 40 and and above.

If you dispute it it'll be based on the balance of probability not beyond reasonable doubt.

The blood test is presumably taken some time later so they'll probably say you were over the limit at the time of the accident.

See what your solicitor thinks.

Henri0000

Admirals position is that you were over the prescribed limit - 35mg. Police prosecute at 40 and and above.

If you dispute it it'll be based on the balance of probability not beyond reasonable doubt.

The blood test is presumably taken some time later so they'll probably say you were over the limit at the time of the accident.

See what your solicitor thinks.
Yes, there was about 3 hours between the roadside breath test and the blood sample being taken.
In the case of the police i believe the blood results are now the evidence used unless a back count is requested, I think this is dependent on the severity of the incident, thankfully no one injured in this case just damage to parked vehicles.
I am seeking further legal advice and waiting on a reply from my solicitor.
Understand the insurance company not paying out but deciding before the investigation is concluded as I have not been charged

Depressed Dad

Yes, there was about 3 hours between the roadside breath test and the blood sample being taken.
In the case of the police i believe the blood results are now the evidence used unless a back count is requested, I think this is dependent on the severity of the incident, thankfully no one injured in this case just damage to parked vehicles.
I am seeking further legal advice and waiting on a reply from my solicitor.
Understand the insurance company not paying out but deciding before the investigation is concluded as I have not been charged
Unfortunately with Admiral, blowing over the limit at the roadside is reason enough to invoke their drink and drugs exclusion. It doesn't need a conviction.

Henri0000

I am seeking legal advice on this but was interested to know if any one here has been successful with appealing, I have read a lot of the complaints with the financial ombudsmen, these are obviously on a case by case basis.

Admiral policy
11.Drink and drugs clause
If an accident happens while any insured person is driving and:
* is found to be over the legal limit for alcohol or drugs
* is driving while unfit through drink or drugs, whether prescribed or otherwise
* fails to provide a sample of breath, blood or urine when required to do so, without lawful reason.
No cover under the policy will be given and instead, liability will be restricted to meeting the obligations as required by Road Traffic Law and we will cancel your policy.

Seeing at the roadside is non evidential and used to give police officers and indication of alcohol consumption. Why is the standard of proof required lower than that of a court of law from Admiral, should this information not be clearly detailed in the above statement in their policy as this may influence a decision for any person choosing cover from admiral knowing this.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off