Admiral Claim after Drink driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

Tshlizzle123

Hi All,

On September 25th of last year I made the fatal error of drink driving, I blew a stupidly high 93 and have regretted it every day since. I lost my license for 24 months reduced to 18 and had to serve a 75 day alcohol free period that was monitored by a tag system. Im coming up on 5 months down the line on the court date. I got into a crash with a council bollard and ended up with the front end of my car in a building, the building suffered minor damage and had a split wooden beam at the front. The building was very old and listed and I was aware that admiral may come to re claim damage from me. I informed them of the accident at the time and told them I was over the limit and would likely lose my license. I then cancelled my policy and admiral got back to me to inform me they were withholding the amount I had paid for insurance (£658) until the claim was settled. I assumed this money was gone and that one day in the future they would send me an indemnity form and come knocking. Today I received an email confirming they were refunding me the full 658 and that the claim was settled. I then received an email 25 minutes later confirming my no claims bonus which I still have and that they had paid out £0 in the claim and that the claim type was AD (accidental damage). It also states that the claim type was Non-Fault. Can anybody give me any advice if they've been in a similar situation? Have admiral now accepted that they can't reclaim any money from me? Im very confused by the situation and assumed that eventually I would have to pay out for damage caused. Maybe they can sue me directly? Not sure how they would be able to do this though as they would have to claim from admiral first who would be forced to pay out under the RTA for 3rd party damages. Any advice would be great!

That sounds unusual.
You'll have to wait with fingers crossed that they won't take any further action.

There is a chance that there is no claim by the council or the building owner.

Or, there has been repairs done and the claim is yet to come through. Can you see if the damage has been repaired?

Certainly doesn't sound like Admiral have paid out a claim.

There's not much you can do other than wait and hope. I wouldn't ask Admiral what has happened in case they've made an error.

Thanks for the reply Depressed Dad! The damage caused to the property wasn’t substantial but as it’s listed they’ve done planning permission etc andIve heard that they’ve moved out temporarily whilst work is being done. Sounds like proceedings have started but they are far from concluded. Building work hasn’t even started yet so no where near finished. They’re selling the property now i’ve seen so maybe it’s something to do with that?
I did think that maybe it’s because I rang admiral and told them about a potential claim coming for the house and they’ve settled that and will open a new one but I think they would have to tell me if there was a claim coming in my insurance? Since then i’ve cancelled my own policy and now they’ve refunded the whole premium almost 5 months after the incident. Very odd don’t you think?

It does seem strange. They might be waiting for the work to finish before they know the amount to be claimed.
Maybe the building owner is having it repaired under their own building insurance and they might pursue you after that claim is completed.
Difficult to tell how it will unfold. I think you'll have to wait and see.

It does seem strange. They might be waiting for the work to finish before they know the amount to be claimed.
Maybe the building owner is having it repaired under their own building insurance and they might pursue you after that claim is completed.
Difficult to tell how it will unfold. I think you'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for the help mate,
Confused is all because they’ve said ‘the claim is settled’ and that it’s ‘AD only’ and that it’s ‘Non Fault’. If they’d have said there was no claim i’d understand that maybe later down the line they will come and claim but just seems odd. Would love to ring up and ask but I know that’s a silly idea.

They might have left it to the third party to deal with.
If they come after you Admiral would be on the hook to pay any unsettled County Court Judgment.
Need to make sure you don't get asked to pay for a complete refurbishment of the building!
You might get lucky and they don't come after you. Depends on the size of the claim.

I would really appreciate if you could read my thread on this forum. I was involved in a collision in March 2017 and was arrested for drink driving. My world came to an end. I lost a very well paid job and the pension lump sum I had worked for. I rehabilitated myself; found employment; got my licence back, and generally felt I had paid the price for my bad day.
The RSA insurers, who believe I received a pension lump sum of over 150K, are still trying to get money from me for sums they paid out to third parties. They walked away from the incident unscathed. The car I hit was valued at £650. The occupants of that vehicle lied about injuries. They were celebrating on Facebook the following day while I was still in police custody. BTW, I was a serving police officer who attained the rank of Inspector.
I am 28 days shy of the 6 year limit they have to instigate court action. Up until this point, my case has been with the financial ombudsman who have shaved around 15K off the 58K they were expecting me to pay.
Any words of advice would be sincerely appreciated

This along with the court date is worrying the hell out of me. What sort of figures did other people get sent for smashing into another vehicle. I smashed into an Uber and already on his statement to the police,he has said he will be claiming for loss of earnings too

I would really appreciate if you could read my thread on this forum. I was involved in a collision in March 2017 and was arrested for drink driving. My world came to an end. I lost a very well paid job and the pension lump sum I had worked for. I rehabilitated myself; found employment; got my licence back, and generally felt I had paid the price for my bad day.
The RSA insurers, who believe I received a pension lump sum of over 150K, are still trying to get money from me for sums they paid out to third parties. They walked away from the incident unscathed. The car I hit was valued at £650. The occupants of that vehicle lied about injuries. They were celebrating on Facebook the following day while I was still in police custody. BTW, I was a serving police officer who attained the rank of Inspector.
I am 28 days shy of the 6 year limit they have to instigate court action. Up until this point, my case has been with the financial ombudsman who have shaved around 15K off the 58K they were expecting me to pay.
People lie about injuries for money and there’s little that can be done. Years ago, I bumped into the back of a car at some traffic lights when I thought they’d changed (no alcohol involved), I was probably doing 3mph. Whiplash injuries were claimed and given for people who weren’t even in the car at the time - there was only the driver but apparently he had two invisible passengers too 🤷🏻‍♀️ Small beer compared to your situation but it’s impossible to prove when they lie. I’m not trying to be a gloom merchant but I suspect you’re on a hiding to nothing by following these rules and processes. These people and agencies get a sniff of ‘free’ money and they won’t give up until they have as much of it as they can get their grasping hands on. Their ‘in’ is if you are at fault in any tiny way and they use that crack to burrow their way in. In your case I’d be seriously tempted to sell everything, disappear and start a new life far, far away.

Not financial advice#
If you own your property and have collateral sell downsize pay the debt move on

If your not concerned about your credit score I would be tempted to Max out old and get new credit cards & store cards plus anything else!
How you spend it where you spend is irrelevant then bankruptcy or protected trust deed# whichever suits best ?
Take a car out on finance before declaring they cannot stop you from this and it forms part of your working capitol.
It might seem immoral but the banking systems corrupted anyway funneling our money an risking our cash via bonds etc
When it goes t#ts up the government step in with 20billion of our money again!an bail them out the sh#t
The government will also purchase shares in Lyods etc and the whole corruption starts again banking system & Gov

A neighbours on benefits from high anxiety gets everything paid always drives about in new cars jacuzzi out the back 3 hollidays a year spends her days doing craft stuff selling on marketplace and minted grips my sh#t tbh but if you know how to work the easy system well it's the Gov own doing!

Last edited:
Did you sign the indemnity form or request any info under FOI request?

It will be very interesting for many of us to see how this 28 days goes. Keep us posted, please.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off