Accident caused whilst under the influence.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Natashasmith

Hello, I had an accident the other day with 4 friends in the car. Went round a corner to fast and flipped the car. No one was seriously injured but I was breathalized and scored a 50. I needed to go to hospital because of my injurys so they also took a blood test whilst we were there. This was about 3 hours after the crash. I'm awaiting the results of this test. Due to the adreniline from the crash and the 3 hour break between we are hoping for a miracle on the bloods. I have just started a new career and don't want this to effect anything with my job. Is there anything I can do now or is it just a waiting game?

There is unfortunately nothing you can do until the blood results come back and this can take around 8 weeks. It is not unusual when a blood sample is taken at the hospital for there to be a delay. There is the possibility that a back calculation could be carried out by a forensic toxicologist to work out the concentration of alcohol in your blood at the time of driving but usually for this to be completed, you would be asked additional questions at the hospital with regards to your height, weight, alcohol intake etc. You will need to await the results to see whether you are charged with an offence.

Hello, so it's been 5 months now and I still haven't received any results from my blood test. Actually haven't heard anything from the police since the accident. I haven't been charged or realised without bail... was arrested at the scene and then unarrested about 5 minutes later. Unsure what I'm waiting for now... can anyone give some advice on how much longer I'm going to be waiting for?

Whilst you may have expected to have hear by now, the usual process is to de-arrest you in those circumstances and deal with you by way of a postal requisition process. This means that the police have 6 months form the date of the incident to 'lay information' with the court (i.e. issue a charge) and you will receive details of that charge and a court date thereafter (can be outside the 6 months) The importance of the 6 month deadline relates to the issuing of the charge, not you receiving details of that charge. Unfortunately it is still a waiting game at the moment whilst you are within that 6 months.

So if I dont receive a letter with the intent to lay charges against me within the 6 months they cannot charge me with anything?

Thank you for the advice!

No, the 6 month deadline relates to the charges being issued, not you receiving a letter, unfortunately. If you still haven't received a letter several weeks after the 6 months has passed this is usually a good indication that a charge has not been laid.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off