A question for those in the know?

Convicted Driver Insurance

clairec

I just wanted to ask a question as I'm slightly baffled? As my profile will tell you I was banned from driving in 2012, I would rank it as one of the worst things that's ever happened to me, and definitely one I'll never ever repeat!
Well I won't go on but last night I was staying at my son's house and between approximately 6pm and 12.30 pm I consumed a bottle of red wine whilst having a meal and watching a film afterwards, my son went out with his friends. I went to bed afterwards and got a call at 2.30 from one of my sons friends to say he was unwell and could I come and pick him up to which I replied NO because I have had a drink. I have a very reliable and very expensive breathalyzer which I bought when I was banned just as an insurance that even the next morning after a party I'd be ok. Well I blew into it and it registered Zero, I tried it three times with the same result! I still didn't drive although I wanted to go and get him. I just wondered how that is possible? there must be 12 units at least in a bottle of wine so that should be 12 or 13 hours? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Claire x

Claire,
You need to look at the strength of the wine, then do the maths. (or math if you watch American stuff....!)
In a bottle of wine at 12% abv, there will be 9 units of alcohol. Your body would have started to break down alcohol by 6.30pm, so at 230am you could have had 1 unit of alcohol left. You have to realise that you are breaking down alcohol while you are drinking it, not from the time that you stop drinking. Was it 12%?
Even on the Police station breath test device, they are not guaranteed accurate when you are talking of about only 1 unit in your system, so this could be why your breath test device did not register alcohol at 2.30am.

Claire,
You need to look at the strength of the wine, then do the maths. (or math if you watch American stuff....!)
In a bottle of wine at 12% abv, there will be 9 units of alcohol. Your body would have started to break down alcohol by 6.30pm, so at 230am you could have had 1 unit of alcohol left. You have to realise that you are breaking down alcohol while you are drinking it, not from the time that you stop drinking. Was it 12%?
Even on the Police station breath test device, they are not guaranteed accurate when you are talking of about only 1 unit in your system, so this could be why your breath test device did not register alcohol at 2.30am.

Thanks Price1367 I can see what you mean now, we did this on the Drink Drive Course so I should of remembered it! think I'll get the book out again and refresh my knowledge. I think the wine would have been 12 or 13%. Thanks for the help.
Claire

Well done Claire for not taking the chance. A lesson well learned by the look of it!

Thanks Chris, yes definitely learnt my lesson, I'm sure you have to, I find it hard to understand how anyone can make the same mistake twice but there seems to be a few who do!
Claire x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off