3rd year student nurse

Convicted Driver Insurance

Student210650

Hi,
I am due to be convicted for a drink driving offence in the coming weeks. I am a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in July.
I am aware my ban is between 17-22 months with a 25% with the course. I was kicked out of my boyfriends house following an argument at 1:30am with no shoes etc so stupidly chose to drive to a family members home 1 mile away.
My course leader has suspended me from management placement until my conviction has been given, then I have to attend a fitness to practice panel.
I have no previous convictions, there was no aggravating causes and I was honest and told them about the charge the next day.
Does anyone know what I can expect? Or have been through a similar situation?
Thank you

Hi you need to look at the NMC website and you will see unless you were driving to or from work they don’t usually investigate
But I think you will have to self report it
you also need to find out what to do to get in register see NMC website I think you may have to do some reflective account

Check as you are not yet on the register. For court & your university panel hearing it is advisable to get some character references not friends but for example ex teacher or vicar or people in authority that will say how out of character it is & also that you have shown remorse. Also keep in contact with your tutor see if you can do some of your course work or offer to volunteer in Heath care at the moment of pandemic as that. Also ask to be referred to uni counciling as I am sure you realise how serious thus is & talking will help

You should also write a letter for the magistrate saying the background how you regret it & are aware you could have killed someone
I would also take this to the university panel
For university panel seek advice from the students union & if you are in the RCN contact them
Court : if you get a lawyer to represent you make sure they do not say you are a student nurse as thus could be picked up be the press
You still may get in the paper but hopefully just name etc

jobs : you need to declare it as it will show in your dbs I would be totally upfront even ask for an informal chat pre application
Basically let people know you are remorseful
As you should be
Good luck but keep close contact with uni

Hi you need to look at the NMC website and you will see unless you were driving to or from work they don’t usually investigate
But I think you will have to self report it
you also need to find out what to do to get in register see NMC website I think you may have to do some reflective account

Check as you are not yet on the register. For court & your university panel hearing it is advisable to get some character references not friends but for example ex teacher or vicar or people in authority that will say how out of character it is & also that you have shown remorse. Also keep in contact with your tutor see if you can do some of your course work or offer to volunteer in Heath care at the moment of pandemic as that. Also ask to be referred to uni counciling as I am sure you realise how serious thus is & talking will help

You should also write a letter for the magistrate saying the background how you regret it & are aware you could have killed someone
I would also take this to the university panel
For university panel seek advice from the students union & if you are in the RCN contact them
Court : if you get a lawyer to represent you make sure they do not say you are a student nurse as thus could be picked up be the press
You still may get in the paper but hopefully just name etc

jobs : you need to declare it as it will show in your dbs I would be totally upfront even ask for an informal chat pre application
Basically let people know you are remorseful
As you should be
Good luck but keep close contact with uni
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
I’ve noted that on the NMC website. I’ve also noted that they state for applicants they don’t investigate but require a reflective account, information from uni to say you disclosed the conviction and a letter from your GP confirming you have no alcohol dependent issues. Does this sound correct?

I have tried to keep in contact with my tutor as much as possible however, as I have already submitted my dissertation my theory side of the degree has come to an end.
I work for the healthboard as a band 3 alongside uni, they have considered me to be no risk so are allowing me to continue working. Can I get character references from my deputy sister & ward sister for court & my panel meeting at uni?
I will write a letter for the magistrate - thank you.

I have appointed a solicitor to represent me - they seem to want to use me being a student nurse about to qualify as mitigation?

Thank you for your help.

Listen to what JANUARY has said in their post. Don’t mention being a student today nurse in mitigation. It will make hardly any difference to the ban but the publicity could cause you problems with your career.

Hi, stay strong and be kind to yourself, you'll be surprised at the number of other nhs workers have fallen foul of drink driving and kept there jobs. I think in some way I'm now more tolerant of people, we all make mistakes however its important to learn from them and that's what the NMC is looking for. I didnt have any issues with uni however it took a bit longer to be given a pin. The NMC wanted a reflective peice and I also had to have a blood test, basically LFT and CDT. I was allocated a caseworker from the NMC who was really helpful in managing the process which took just under 3 months.

Agree with Price do not use your nursing status in court, if necessary have it in letter that goes with your character references to the bench. NMC do not like publicity nor will your uni & local press are desperate
I was already on register when I ended up in court - sadly I had a lot of publicity
NMC decided not to investigate me but I had provided character reference & reflection letter that I had sent to court. My barrister said it was an unprecedented response so I was lucky & employer took no action
But I still feel the pain for a stupid mistake

seek help, get best letters you can, keep in touch with your personal tutor, get the SU involved& rcn, think who could do a reference & look on this site for links to examples of what they need to write

not sure re NMC requires re getting a PIN
So check up

for your uni panel find out if you can have representation but do have character refs, letter of remorse to give to them

best wishes

Hi, stay strong and be kind to yourself, you'll be surprised at the number of other nhs workers have fallen foul of drink driving and kept there jobs. I think in some way I'm now more tolerant of people, we all make mistakes however its important to learn from them and that's what the NMC is looking for. I didnt have any issues with uni however it took a bit longer to be given a pin. The NMC wanted a reflective peice and I also had to have a blood test, basically LFT and CDT. I was allocated a caseworker from the NMC who was really helpful in managing the process which took just under 3 months.
Hi,
Thank you so much for your positive reply.

Agree with Price do not use your nursing status in court, if necessary have it in letter that goes with your character references to the bench. NMC do not like publicity nor will your uni & local press are desperate
I was already on register when I ended up in court - sadly I had a lot of publicity
NMC decided not to investigate me but I had provided character reference & reflection letter that I had sent to court. My barrister said it was an unprecedented response so I was lucky & employer took no action
But I still feel the pain for a stupid mistake

seek help, get best letters you can, keep in touch with your personal tutor, get the SU involved& rcn, think who could do a reference & look on this site for links to examples of what they need to write

not sure re NMC requires re getting a PIN
So check up

for your uni panel find out if you can have representation but do have character refs, letter of remorse to give to them

best wishes
Thank you so much for all your advice - I’ve taken it on board and it’s very much appreciated.

Hi,
I am due to be convicted for a drink driving offence in the coming weeks. I am a 3rd year student nurse due to qualify in July.
I am aware my ban is between 17-22 months with a 25% with the course. I was kicked out of my boyfriends house following an argument at 1:30am with no shoes etc so stupidly chose to drive to a family members home 1 mile away.
My course leader has suspended me from management placement until my conviction has been given, then I have to attend a fitness to practice panel.
I have no previous convictions, there was no aggravating causes and I was honest and told them about the charge the next day.
Does anyone know what I can expect? Or have been through a similar situation?
Thank you
Hi what was the outcome of this? I am in a similar situation. Thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off