2nd offence - more worried about effect on mother with dementia

Convicted Driver Insurance

Secondtimeround

I’m shaking as I write this.

I am two days post having been arrested for drink driving (blew 103). I have not been drinking for at least three and a half years, but in recent months it crept back into my life. I had stopped taking my anti-depressants and have been the sole local family support for my mother with dementia. My mother's condition has worsened recently and I was having trouble looking after myself let alone her, but by all accounts I had been pretty good at it.

I am terrified by the effect this is going to have on her. She lives fairly remotely and I won’t be able to take her to appointments or get her out and about.

I'm sorry to hear that Secondtimeround. I'm a carer for my partner and I know how tough things can get, especially if there isn't much support from anyone else. There's not really a lot I can say, other than offer to be around for a chat.

Do you think they will take any of it into account at court?

I honestly couldn't say, because I don't know. It depends what you're expecting the outcome to be. Is there something you're particularly worried about when going to court?

I know, from other users on here, that the courts don't like to hear excuses and they appreciate you accepting punishment and showing remorse. You may be able to lessen your fine and court costs if you state to the court that you will need to spend a large amount of your income on public transport and/or taxis in order to look after your mother. I did something similar for my first time around, I wrote a letter stating that I have very little income and what I now had left would be required to help me get to and from work - I truly believe it helped me get a reduced fine and court costs.

It won't prevent a ban, nor prevent you from being considered a HRO, but it may influence the length of the ban or amount of the fine, as long as they consider you sufficiently remorseful and contrite.

The sentencing council lists examples of drink driving mitigating factors such as :
  • no previous convictions or relevant/recent convictions
  • if the driver is the sole or primary carer for dependent relatives
It really depends on who you get on the day, however, I would warn you that your caring responsibilities are likely to have a minimal impact on your disqualification period, if any at all.

With quite a high reading I would also be careful of painting an overly sad story in the court in case it attracts extra attention from the court reporter and ends up in the local press.

You are looking at a low level community order – high level community order with a disqualification period of 23-28 months (reduced by 25% if you do the course - you have to request it when you are being sentenced) - albeit there is a possibility you will get less than this, it’s impossible to predict.

I empathise with your predicament and whilst it’s probably of little consolation right now - it does get better.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off